Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times

Advertisements

I must say that after living in Texas for a year and a half now, that Houston is defintielty my favorite city. I do plan on moving there next spring. Don't get me wrong though, cities like Dallas and Austin are great, but Houston is like LA, in that it offfers EVERYTHING that anyone could possibly want in a city.

I NEVER UNDERSTOOD why many Texans outside of Houston despised the city, since it has so much to offer. Maybe those people are just jealous of Houston, who knows. All I know is that it is my favorite city in the state and that I plan on moving there soon.

IMHO, what makes Houston the best city in Texas is the wide variety of options for entertainment, the arts, the international culture, the close proximity to the gulf coast and some of the best surfing in Texas, and the endless choices for shopping, dinning, ect.

Houston is a great city and I personally can't wait to move there. I don't care what the critics of the city think. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Glad you like our city -- prepare yourself for the onslaught of defenders and haters on this thread. Some people choose to be unhappy and move here and don't like anything -- others move here and find the good that the city has to offer. All cities are unique and all have their good and bad points. Houston has a lot to offer those who want to enjoy it.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I must say that after living in Texas for a year and a half now, that Houston is defintielty my favorite city. I do plan on moving there next spring. Don't get me wrong though, cities like Dallas and Austin are great, but Houston is like LA, in that it offfers EVERYTHING that anyone could possibly want in a city.

I NEVER UNDERSTOOD why many Texans outside of Houston despised the city, since it has so much to offer. Maybe those people are just jealous of Houston, who knows. All I know is that it is my favorite city in the state and that I plan on moving there soon.

IMHO, what makes Houston the best city in Texas is the wide variety of options for entertainment, the arts, the international culture, the close proximity to the gulf coast and some of the best surfing in Texas, and the endless choices for shopping, dinning, ect.

Houston is a great city and I personally can't wait to move there. I don't care what the critics of the city think. Do you?
Have you ever lived in Nor Cal or just So Cal?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
EVERYTHING that anyone could possibly want in a city.
If youre a zombie, sure. we have the post apocalyse vibe downtown

Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Have you ever lived in Nor Cal or just So Cal?
Actually, due to my military experience, I have lived in both. I actually like Nor Cal better (I was stationed at NAS Lemoore in the Central Valley; which also happens to be considered Nor Cal), especially areas like Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo. However, I did spend the majority of my time in Cali out in So Cal and I like it just as much, so it is really hard to pick one over the other.

As for Texas, it is just as auesome in scenery as Cali. It may not have mountains that go up all the way to the coast, but it is still a very beautiful state and I would still choose it over
Cali.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
If youre a zombie, sure. we have the post apocalyse vibe downtown
Well, if downtown isn't so great, than where would you recommend I try??

Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:

You make Houston sound the way it should be described especially to someone who hasn't been to Houston. Hopefully, I can visit soon.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:

coming from a Dallas resident... +1

Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Actually, due to my military experience, I have lived in both. I actually like Nor Cal better (I was stationed at NAS Lemoore in the Central Valley; which also happens to be considered Nor Cal), especially areas like Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo. However, I did spend the majority of my time in Cali out in So Cal and I like it just as much, so it is really hard to pick one over the other.

As for Texas, it is just as auesome in scenery as Cali. It may not have mountains that go up all the way to the coast, but it is still a very beautiful state and I would still choose it over
Cali.
I grew up in Nor Cal. What part of Houston do you like is like L.A or Nor Cal?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I grew up in Nor Cal. What part of Houston do you like is like L.A or Nor Cal?
Well, downtown Houston kind of reminds me of downtown San Francisco, expcept that of course, Houston has more very tall buildings and uptown Houston reminds me alot of century city/wilshire blvd. in LA (the area where all of the major film companies are located). All in all, Houston is like a combination of both LA and San Francisco in terms of city environment. That is why Houston appeals to me so much more than other Texas cities. But again, the other major cities in Texas are great in their own ways.

All in all, I can't hate on any city in Texas or any city in Cali. BTW, where did u grow up in Nor Cal? My dad and his family grew up in the Redding and Willows area. Nor Cal is certainly the most beautiful in the state, including the coastal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston