Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,813 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of threads on the subject. I just want answers specific to my situation.
I've been away for 5 years. I first moved to Houston in 1995. I lived near the museum district. I then bought a house in Tomball. Years later and a divorce...
I am a food server who prefers casual dining and have been living in the Las Vegas area. The economy is terrible here and I'd like to go back to Houston ( my kids live with their dad in Tomball). I have a $600.00 rent budget and a dog (German shepherd) I do have a car, buses are terrible in Houston, so is the traffic. I'm thinking inside the loop. So, I'm looking for affordable and safe. I'm willing to pay more if I could rent a house. Anyway...should I look in the Heights, Galleria? What would you all recommend. I'm not too familiar with the inner loop, I just figured that's my best bet.
Sorry for the loooong story. I guess I'm just nervous about moving back. I put out some resumes and received 2 job interviews. One is in the Humble area the other is mid-town Houston??? Ok. Thanks for reading.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
600 a month for inside the loop is scrapping the bottom of the barrel if you aren't going to have a roommate. you definitely won't be able to rent a house for that or less than $1,200 for "safe"

Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM

55 posts, read 91,845 times
There are lots of places inside the loop for less than 600, the catch is do you want to live in a 90% black area? 90% hispanic area? Also with dilapidated and abandoned homes and a total lack of shopping and dining?

If not you will get a 90% white area like where I moved to, a garage apartment runs about 750. People told me how integrated Houston was but after moving in sight unseen I feel they lied to me. If thats important to you. Things have really gentrified from the stories ive heard, and things are expensive.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
There are lots of places inside the loop for less than 600, the catch is do you want to live in a 90% black area? 90% hispanic area? Also with dilapidated and abandoned homes and a total lack of shopping and dining?

If not you will get a 90% white area like where I moved to, a garage apartment runs about 750. People told me how integrated Houston was but after moving in sight unseen I feel they lied to me. If thats important to you. Things have really gentrified from the stories ive heard, and things are expensive.

You haven't driven around much of the city have you.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,122 times
youre perfect for inside-the-loop! wait, do you drink red wine by the fireplace?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:

Hah, you've never been to Boston or NYC. And from your statements I can assume you don't live Montrose or Houston at all. Montrose and the Loop is a breeze. Get educated.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:

Hah, you've never been to Boston or NYC. Montrose and the Loop is a breeze. Get educated.

In any case, with the inflation in the rental market, $600 will be tight. It can be done, however, through word-of-mouth connection. Those are where the deals are, so call up any friends you have left in town.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM

286 posts, read 739,341 times
$600 inside the Loop/Galleria is going to be really, really tough for a decent place. You *might* be able to find a garage apartment for that budget in the Heights, but it's probably not going to be too nice. You could perhaps find an older place for about $750 to $850 range inside the Loop, but likely without a washer/dryer in the apartment. I'm thinking of Westcreek Apartments on Westheimer that went in that range a couple years back, but probably have gone up since then. There are a couple of places on Memorial between Shepherd and 610 that might work too, if the rents haven't gone up since I looked at them a couple years back.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,813 times
It has been a long time for me. As I mentioned I lived inside the loop for a bit in 95-96. Then we bought a house in Tomball. I was actually thinking of the garage apt. I've been in the Las Vegas area since '07. I figured I was asking too much about getting low on the rent. I'll gladly pay more for safety ( German Sheperd is coming with me).
I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and respond to my post. I know it's pretty redundant.
You all are too kind.

Thanks, Jen

Last edited by jenlynlin; 11-27-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Please point to me the hood (other than River Oaks), that is 90% white in the City of Houston?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston