Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I've never heard of the Geto Boys.
This was the Geto Boys' big hit. Ah, good times.

Geto Boys - My Mind Playing Tricks On Me - YouTube

I know Destiny's Child and Beyonce have Houston roots but I don't think most associate them with Houston in the way that, say, Prince represented Minneapolis. Because of the Jay-Z connection and the "New York, New York," song, most probably associate her with the East Coast. And, outside of hip-hop, I'm not sure most know who Mike Jones or UGK are.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lil Flip and Paul Wall had one maybe two good years in the mainstream. They don't touch the mainstream success of Scarface and thank God they didn't. Flip, Paul wall, and Mike Jones embarrassed Houston with their suckitude.
Eminem said in one of his recent songs, "My Darling" that Paul Wall is dope.

If Eminem gives someone props that's saying a lot.

I'd like to see the two collaborate on a song together that would be awesome.

Sorta a Midwest/Detroit meets Dirty South/Houston type track.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

I know Destiny's Child and Beyonce have Houston roots but I don't think most associate them with Houston in the way that, say, Prince represented Minneapolis. Because of the Jay-Z connection and the "New York, New York," song, most probably associate her with the East Coast. And, outside of hip-hop, I'm not sure most know who Mike Jones or UGK are.
Beyonce has a definite Southern/Houston accent. There is no mistaking her with being from New York or the Northeast even though she is married to Jay-Z & put out a song about New York.

Jay-Z put out a song about Houston, but everyone knows he's not from there because of his accent.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

Beyonce reps for Houston; she just does nothing for the city. She reps for Houston a few times in her new album.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Eminem said in one of his recent songs, "My Darling" that Paul Wall is dope.

If Eminem gives someone props that's saying a lot.

I'd like to see the two collaborate on a song together that would be awesome.

Sorta a Midwest/Detroit meets Dirty South/Houston type track.
Lupe Fiasco gives Soulja Boy props. That doesn't mean he's any good. So whats your point?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lupe Fiasco gives Soulja Boy props. That doesn't mean he's any good. So whats your point?
Uh, Lupe Fiasco isn't even close to being on Eminem's level notoriety. Lupe can get you a good number of "Who?" but Eminem gets you an instant recognition.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Seriously mate, I don't know what they teach you in your school, I don't know what you're on, but some of the questions you ask, statements you made, are absolutely out of WHACK.... Seriously?

Mods: What this thread have to do with Houston besides the usual RAMBLING?????

Quote:
When will Houston become a place where stars of every race and culture want to live? Can you see Houston hosting music award shows?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Pffffft ^^^ you are just sore cause you don't know what a magnent is.

go look it up and when you do send me a DM cause I have no idea what it is either

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
For me I like to research things before I go. A city with a nice amount of celebrities is fun due to that fact.
There's supposed to be a bunch of them in The Woodlands.

Celebrities don't go where it's pretty or anything like that.
Celebrities go where "the national media" and paparazzis are.
Their job is "to be famous" and you can't be "famous" in a place where the national media is not going to give you exposure.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
I'm going to become a rapper and move to Houston.
Please have an engineering degree for a back-up plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston