Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

For mainstream theaters, the closest would be Edward's Grand Palace - 9.6 miles away.

The second closest would be: AMC Gulf Pointe 30
11801 So. Sam Houston Pkwy E Houston, TX -12 Miles
Edward's MarqE is 13.3 miles
AMC Studio 30 at 2949 Dunvale Houston, TX - 14.5 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
Greenway is a pretty nice theater, but I hate that you have to pay for parking there.

The Sundance Theater will open soon in downtown, otherwise you could try the Edwards Marquee on I-10, just outside of 610 (lots of kids/teens there too). The River Oaks Theater on West Grey usually has independent movies, plus that yummy bakery -- Epicurian -- is just two or three doors down (or La Madeleine is always a good choice for a pre-theater dinner!).
Sundance is open already.

https://www.sundancecinemas.com/hous...ate=11/23/2011 click on Dec.4th to see schedule
You can buy tickets online.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Got to rant. I have my own home theatre (not some million dollar one) and the wife wanted to go out and watch one at the real theatre. Let me say I can see why these places are doing bad. At 3pm we went to watch Hugo in 3D and for 2 tickets it costs us 28 bucks. That's outrageous even if it was 3D.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Got to rant. I have my own home theatre (not some million dollar one) and the wife wanted to go out and watch one at the real theatre. Let me say I can see why these places are doing bad. At 3pm we went to watch Hugo in 3D and for 2 tickets it costs us 28 bucks. That's outrageous even if it was 3D.
Not saying don't complain, but don't go to NYC (or Boston, for that matter) then, because it would have been closer to $40.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM

That's crazy. It was probably the last time I'll go if the price is that high.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
That's crazy. It was probably the last time I'll go if the price is that high.
Yeah, it's pretty nuts. My boyfriend and I try to get the SuperSaver books for AMC or Regal from AAA. It saves you a couple of bucks, but there is still a surcharge for 3D films. And I feel really bad for New Yorkers again, because those passes are, more often than not, void for the NYC market.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Those prices are insane. If you have a nicely set up home theater then who wants more?
You have comfy seat, something to snack on, no one is talking, walking, making other noises, kids whining...and you can take a break whenever you want.
If you want to watch in a company, invite few friends and make a nice evening

Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Those prices are insane. If you have a nicely set up home theater then who wants more?
You have comfy seat, something to snack on, no one is talking, walking, making other noises, kids whining...and you can take a break whenever you want.
If you want to watch in a company, invite few friends and make a nice evening

Cause women like to go out or at least mine does when she can talk me into it.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i personally get tired of never leaving my home and enjoy a night out as often as possible. you don't have to see a movie every weekend (they don't make enough good movies to warrant that anyway)

went to Sundance last night. it is nice you can order your tickets online and they have assigned seating i.e. we chose two middle seats in the row we wanted and we could see where other seats were bought.

full bar, bar type food, then regular movie concessions. the chairs are comfortable and you have a little table between every two seats with cup holders. they play more of the independent, foreign and artsy films

River Oaks landmark plays the similar types of movies and you can also drink inside the theater. classic houston movie house they have kept up. doesn't mean it isn't in need of more renovation though. if you are in a quiet movie and they are playing a loud one next door you will hear it

Edwards Greenway is where we go for regular hollywood movies or with children. lots of different theaters and pretty new.

these are all within the loop. i dont think there is anything on the eastside

Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Yeah, "independent"/"art film" theaters are all inside 610.

There is a "regular" movie theater, the AMC Gulf Pointe, at the intersection of I-45 and Beltway 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i personally get tired of never leaving my home and enjoy a night out as often as possible. you don't have to see a movie every weekend (they don't make enough good movies to warrant that anyway)

went to Sundance last night. it is nice you can order your tickets online and they have assigned seating i.e. we chose two middle seats in the row we wanted and we could see where other seats were bought.

full bar, bar type food, then regular movie concessions. the chairs are comfortable and you have a little table between every two seats with cup holders. they play more of the independent, foreign and artsy films

River Oaks landmark plays the similar types of movies and you can also drink inside the theater. classic houston movie house they have kept up. doesn't mean it isn't in need of more renovation though. if you are in a quiet movie and they are playing a loud one next door you will hear it

Edwards Greenway is where we go for regular hollywood movies or with children. lots of different theaters and pretty new.

these are all within the loop. i dont think there is anything on the eastside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston