Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ,

I am a first time home buyer and for a starter home my budget is less than two hundred thousand.So when my husband and I started house hunting we could fine decent homes in the champions area.We got the info from this forum to stay north of 1960 ,we visited a lot of homes in the neighborhood.From champions forest to memorial chase.Most of the homes were from 70's,very cute with lot of character,but needed a lot of updating.And some had the electric wires on the backyard which we thought was a health hazard.But after a lot of searching we did find couple of homes which were updated and pretty new.No 1 property is a gated townhome in willowbrook condo subdivision,Now we like it because it was a well maintained property with easy access to the mall and also to the high ways ,and zoned to Cypress fairbanks isd.Now my question is will it be a good idea to buy in this area,there is not much info on the internet about this subdivision.Any info well be a lot of help.And the property no 2 is a house in the cypress trace subdivision zoned to Klien id.Not much info about this subdivision aswell.

We are a couple without kids and our plan is to sell this place in the next 3 years and move to a place closer to the city and buy a bigger home .We are buying the property because we are sick of paying rent.

Thanks in advance for all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I'd probably keep renting if I planned on selling in 3 years

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,249 times
Yeah we thought so in the beginning, but when we rent we don't build any equity, hence the buying.But do you have any idea about the localities that I meantioned. Your input will be oh great help.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I lived in champion forest for 5 years. I liked the area but hated the commute to the galleria area. Building equity sounds nice but it's not a magic gift. You don't build all the much equity with a typical 30 mortgage and you could put money aside in a savings account while renting and end up in the same spot. The transaction cost to sell will eat a fair amount of your equity and or possible appreciation and what if your house depreciates? What about insurance, maintenance and taxes? People often buy more house than they rent so the combined with the plan to move in three years I'd rent.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:26 PM

153 posts, read 145,022 times
I would keep renting. You are not going to build and equity in a house in 3 years, you are going to lose money. Home ownership you have to dish out for all the taxes, maintenance, and then have to pay 5% commission at closing. And what if you have trouble selling?

Old 12-17-2016, 04:31 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Stay away from condos. It is too iffy for a short term buyer.

The rule in the olden days was rent if you were going to be there less than 5 years. It will cost you 8% to sell. Plus the aggravation of getting ready for the market and updates, etc. You will be positioning yourself to sell the day you move in.

Why?

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: