Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
haha here we go again with "houstons so important we'll be bomb next"
But wouldn't that raise our coolness factor???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
haha here we go again with "houstons so important we'll be bomb next"
Didn't know Oklahoma City was more important than Houston.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but my first thought is that it would move us up the ranks in terms of a terrorist target. No thank you.
AFRICOM (or Africa Command) wouldn't be a really large terrorist target. If anything in Houston would be a terrorist target it'd be either the Port of Houston or maybe even the Texas Medical Center. Both are large sources of income for the city and (the Port more so than TMC) if damaged and/or compromised for a long period of time would have serious repercussions for the rest of the country. That said, the TMC would be a large (and rather ugly) statement to the nation/world (that is if they attacked the largest medical center in the world - which would be awful but then again, you can't put anything past these people). I'd always thought their attacks were more about making statements than being strategic. If they'd wanted to make a statement by attacking Houston, they'd have tried by now. In fact, terrorist organizations HAVE heard of Houston (Why did underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab target Detroit? Cheap tickets | MLive.com) so your concern is valid.

The only military command center that I know terrorists have attacked was the Pentagon - even then, to my knowledge, the Pentagon is unarmed as far as deflecting large scale attacks such as the one it sustained (like I said, to my knowledge). As far as the COM centers are concerned, I don't' know that they'd be as unarmed but even then, AFRICOM, if it were to come to Houston, would be housed on a retired air force base. It would stand to reason that they'd at least keep SOME planes on the ground at Ellington (might as well).

As I said, I think your concern is valid but if terrorist are focused on making small attacks which aim to harm civilians as a means of making statements - Houston is already within their sites. Having a military command center here wouldn't detract or add to it, I don't think.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Having a military command center here wouldn't detract or add to it, I don't think.
I feel better now that "one of their guys" clarified this for us

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
That does not even make any sense...
Your username doesn't make any sense. Why you tryin to copy my style bruh

Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Your username doesn't make any sense. Why you tryin to copy my style bruh
HA I hav,nt even heard of you before you posted this. Second 713 is common becasue its easy to remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston