Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 125,430 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Houston area and based on my research I feel katy would be the best place for us, mainly due to the schools. My problem is that we have high income mentality on a tight budget. I have a master's degree, but it is in psychology so I don't make much money. In fact right now I am out of work indefinitely due to my daughter's health problems. my priorities are not neccesarily a huge house or great neighborhood/hoa benefits (although this would be nice). Basically we just want to live in a safe, nice neighborhood with quality, value oriented neighbors. Right now we live in a fairly new subdivision with cute homes in Round Rock, TX, but it is very affordable. Due to the low prices of homes here some of our neighbors tend to be rather, um, trashy....smoking, multiple tatoos, kids running around barefoot at all hours. Am I being stuck up to want neighbors with a little class? In fact I also want to completely avoid neighborhoods where people are all rich and uppity. Am I being unrealistic. Can I have it all, an affordable home with quality people and good schools? FYI, our yearly income right now is about $60,000 and we have one daughter. We are looking at renting at first since we are not positive we will be here more than a couple years. We need our monthly payments to be under $1400. I think this means we want to be looking at neighborhoods where homes start around $120 or 130,000. i I hope I haven't offended anybody. i know that there are very intelligent, educated people who smoke or have a tatoo. However, my experience has been that that is not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,241 times
You will have plenty of choices in that price range, particularly if you are willing to look at homes that are not new (you can find new homes in that price range - but you would many more choices if you looked at older homes as well). Overall, I think the majority of Katy is nice. Rent for a while till you find the neighborhood that suits you to a tee. I've been in Katy for 2 years now and I have not met any uppity rich people - everyone seems genuinely nice and easygoing.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 PM

42 posts, read 216,962 times
Default Har

A lot of people don't know that Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation also lists rental properties. I have seen some nice places in Katy for your price range. Good luck to you!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM

14 posts, read 51,400 times
I live in "old Katy" or Katy proper, which is in Katy City limits and it's basically the orignal part of Katy from way back when. We love it. We haven't noticed any crime except for mischievious kids, but being in the city limits the police are right around the corner. Old Katy is a little more laid back and for the time being still has the small town feel.

The other part in Katy I would recommend is Cinco Ranch, a bunch of great amenities, but more crowded....

rent a house, check out those two areas first, and go from there!
Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
There are SEVERAL places in Katy that would match your budget and what you're looking for. I would steer clear of the new construction communities and look into existing homes. Definitely go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and check things out. Like the other poster said, I would recommend renting first to get a better feel of the area and this way you have 1 year to make a final decision on where you want to make your home. I would check out Nottingham; Williamsburg Settlement (I love their homes but no sidewalks turned me off); Williamsburg Colony (the majority of the homes and yards are kept up, you have a few homes with renters but only a small percentage-they have sidewalks); Williamschase (small, most lawns are kept up) and maybe Cinco Ranch (a large variety of homes/prices to choose from; horrible traffic patterns and constantly congested). Hope that helps!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 PM

25 posts, read 125,430 times
Default thanks and more questions

thank you all for all your help. I am in Katy now, just looking around. I went to the Wal-mart near I-10 and Fry. What an experience. Not a population I am used to (I don't mean race, as I have always been around diversity). I was literally afraid.

Where is Old Katy. Is it Katy ISD?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:45 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
You should also look at Lakes of Bridgewater...nice affordable neighborhood, its clean subdivision, and you will be able to find an existing home or new. I would recommend Cinco Ranch, but with your price range, you will not have much choice.

I also like Westfield...
From I-10, Exit North on Fry Rd., Go 2.5 Miles, go Right on Westfield Parkway to Community.
...I think Kimball Homes is still building in the area. You will be able to find quaility there. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
There's a lot of riff-raff in the Walmarts around Houston, along with the world's most moronic cashiers. It's worth it sometimes for the savings. Be sure to check out Mason Road south of I-10. That's where a lot of the stuff in Katy is.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 PM

37 posts, read 313,647 times
Cool Also try Franz area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
There are SEVERAL places in Katy that would match your budget and what you're looking for. I would steer clear of the new construction communities and look into existing homes. Definitely go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and check things out. Like the other poster said, I would recommend renting first to get a better feel of the area and this way you have 1 year to make a final decision on where you want to make your home. I would check out Nottingham; Williamsburg Settlement (I love their homes but no sidewalks turned me off); Williamsburg Colony (the majority of the homes and yards are kept up, you have a few homes with renters but only a small percentage-they have sidewalks); Williamschase (small, most lawns are kept up) and maybe Cinco Ranch (a large variety of homes/prices to choose from; horrible traffic patterns and constantly congested). Hope that helps!

You should try Williamsburg Hamlet as well - take I-10 to Grand Parkway, go north on Grand Parkway and take a left on Franz Rd. There are a bunch of subdivisions that are well kept and affordable. Some of these are listed above. Cinco Ranch is probably a little expensive given your household income but is a little nicer aesthetically.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehutch79 View Post
thank you all for all your help. I am in Katy now, just looking around. I went to the Wal-mart near I-10 and Fry. What an experience. Not a population I am used to (I don't mean race, as I have always been around diversity). I was literally afraid.

Where is Old Katy. Is it Katy ISD?
i'm confused about your comment "not a population that you're used to" Walmarts across the country have all sorts of weird characters, as well as "everyday normal people" who shop there because of the low pricing and the ability for people to do "one stop" shopping. I personally don't shop there, just because I don't like crowded facilities, fighting for parking, and long lines. I can't say that I've ever been "afraid" or "scared" of people who shop in Walmart. If you live with "trashy....smoking, multiple tatoos, kids running around barefoot at all hours" type of people, I find it difficult to believe that you would be "afraid/scared" at Walmart. Sounds to me like you're used to "small town" shopping. Unfortunately if that's the case, then you're going to need to move out into an "unpopulated" area of town because unfortunately you're going to find the same folk in Walmarts across the country in any major city. Unfortunately, Katy is growing drastically and with growth comes people, from all walks of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston