Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM

53 posts, read 128,901 times

Advertisements

I've only been here a little over a year and witnessed the hard freeze early this year and had a pipe burst in the house I bought the previous year. Is this typical of Houston winter weather?

My neighbors were saying that the winter and summer weather has been really extreme, but is it still common to have hard freezes here in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
There is not such thing like "typical weather" in Houston. It could be hot in the morning and cold in the evening, sunshine with bright blue sky, and rain 10 minutes later. One subject on which all residents of the Texas agree is, "If you don't like the weather here, just wait five minutes." Mother Nature can be cranky and unpredictable all through the year, but the Spring season seems to be the most unsure time of all.
This is something what you could experience, all in one day:

Occasionally the temps will go down to the mid 20's, but usually only for several hours. You need to watch forecast and take precautions: the faucets, pool care and plants.

Last edited by elnina; 12-06-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
it will typically frost over a few times in the winter but nothing like this past winter. it was an exceptionally cold break as this summer was exceptionally long lasting. no its not typical to get a hard freeze. further north it does get more likely. the several past years Austin has experienced some major freezes

in a typical winter we just have to cover our plants a half dozen times or so at my home. we weatherize our pipes of course like everyone should but never had a pipe burst. this year was the first time it was recommended we leave a tap on to drip so as not to freeze when we left for New Years. our maintenance guy was never concerned about that before

this winter is supposed to be drier and milder

Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is not such thing like "typical weather" in Houston. It could be hot in the morning and cold in the evening, sunshine with bright blue sky, and rain 10 minutes later. One subject on which all residents of the Texas agree is, "If you don't like the weather here, just wait five minutes." Mother Nature can be cranky and unpredictable all through the year, but the Spring season seems to be the most unsure time of all.
This is something what you could experience, all in one day:

Occasionally the temps will go down to the mid 20's, but usually only for several hours. You need to watch forecast and take precautions: the faucets, pool care and plants.
+100

You never know what you're going to get during the winter here. And, when was there a hard freeze in Sugar Land? I must have missed it.

Ronnie

Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM

53 posts, read 128,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
+100

You never know what you're going to get during the winter here. And, when was there a hard freeze in Sugar Land? I must have missed it.

Ronnie
I know Houston's not the north, but that's what they called it on the news earlier this year when highs were below freezing for days (or was it a week?). Similarly, I always think it's cute when people whine about the "traffic" here. Please, I'm from Los Angeles.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
I know Houston's not the north, but that's what they called it on the news earlier this year when highs were below freezing for days (or was it a week?). Similarly, I always think it's cute when people whine about the "traffic" here. Please, I'm from Los Angeles.
It's all relative. Traffic and weather.

This years winter and summer have not been typical. But I do expect it to be more common. It's looking to be a colder winter than average. But last year's winter appeared colder, but according to meteorologists, it was average.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
I know Houston's not the north, but that's what they called it on the news earlier this year when highs were below freezing for days (or was it a week?).
IIRC it was about 48 hours, but depending on what side of town you got the readings from, it still got above freezing for a couple hours each day. They said something like it was "the coldest winter in 20 years." Anyway "hard freeze" is a sensationalized term that usually means below 32 all night.

Also IIRC this summer nor last winter set any new extreme hi/lo temperature records.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Also IIRC this summer nor last winter set any new extreme hi/lo temperature records.
This summer set all kinds of records for consecutive and total 100 deg days, and even tied the record all-time high of 109 degrees in August. There were many record highs, and record high "low" temperatures this year. 2011 has been a most extreme year, and thru at least October was on pace to be the hottest year ever in Houston. I have not seen any updates since then.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Well, usually January and February are the most consistently cold months, but that usually means highs in the 40s and low's in the 20's at the most extreme. Of course, there are exceptions. We had a crazy ice storm in the late 90s (not sure if there's been another since as I was gone for a few years). It has snowed the past three years in a row (this was in late November or early December 2008, 2009 and 2010, although it did snow this year in February north of Houston). But yeah, I think there isn't a 'norm'. One day it can be 70 and the next 40 in the winter...

Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
We could also get snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston