Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I actually have not been on this thread saying anything negative. I lived in The Heights and Montrose before moving to Gunspoint. You know why I live here? I work with immigrant children who don't speak English in the area. I AM living in the area where I work to MAKE IT BETTER.

If I say things that are negative about Houston I am trying to give an unbiased opinion. I don't always make negative posts. I try to make realistic posts from somebody who has lived in various parts of the city, country, and the Americas.
Where is Gunspoint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
I actually have not been on this thread saying anything negative. I lived in The Heights and Montrose before moving to Gunspoint. You know why I live here? I work with immigrant children who don't speak English in the area. I AM living in the area where I work to MAKE IT BETTER.

If I say things that are negative about Houston I am trying to give an unbiased opinion. I don't always make negative posts. I try to make realistic posts from somebody who has lived in various parts of the city, country, and the Americas.
all the trash talking from you is so heavy that it drowns out any good thing you may see. you might think that you are giving your unbiased opinion but if someone sees all that negativity you really think they are going to think your posts are unbiased.

some of you guys post things so unbelievably negative that I think you all don't even think before you type. Its either that or y'all have some unresolved issues with the place.Me, El Nina, Cheryl, and many others have been to countless places, but we do not try to make Houston into where we go. I like London, but I like Houston too. When i am in one I miss the other, its being different that is the great thing. If all cities were the same then the world would be a boring place

Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
all the trash talking from you is so heavy that it drowns out any good thing you may see. you might think that you are giving your unbiased opinion but if someone sees all that negativity you really think they are going to think your posts are unbiased.

some of you guys post things so unbelievably negative that I think you all don't even think before you type. Its either that or y'all have some unresolved issues with the place.Me, El Nina, Cheryl, and many others have been to countless places, but we do not try to make Houston into where we go. I like London, but I like Houston too. When i am in one I miss the other, its being different that is the great thing. If all cities were the same then the world would be a boring place
I don't talk trash. I talk facts. You are the one who is so delusional about Houston being such an incredible place YOU have lost all credibility except to the people who are just as delusional as you are. If you don't believe me, look at your handle.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Where is Gunspoint?
45N and the beltway area.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Where is Gunspoint?
Some people call greenspoint "gunspoint". Although "gunspoint" is no way nearly as bad as it was in the late 80's early 90's.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
I grew up in Cali, Grass Valley and Mountain View. SF is great, but I like Houston despite itself
... That way, you will jump into a great social network right away. Plus, Houston doesn't do a very good job of promoting all the things going on in the city, so if you meet someone who is really connected and aware of events you will have a much better time here
I have a new friend who moved here from S.F. a couple of years ago wth his wife to some new apartments near the Med ctr on Alameda. He and his wife love living here. I moved here from Austin in '89 and it took a while to get used to it, but Houston has evolved into near world class status in the last dozen years or so. I bought a house 11 years ago in Timbergrove that has not lost value except for 5 years after Allison but gained back all the loss and is still appreciating.

I know this thread has nothing to do with Atlanta but as a rejoinder to the visual aspect of Houston, here goes: My brother living in Atlanta was just here for the first time and was amazed at what is going on here, and at some of the stunningly beautiful neighborhoods we have in the inner loop. Atlanta may be prettier in most ways, but downtown and midtown Atlanta are dead by comparison because of all the crime and government mismanagement there. I used to take the train from the airport there and he would pick me up at the north perimeter station near 85, but on my last trip he insisted on driving 80 miles round trip to get me because of predators invading the trains in higher numbers now. Maybe because our economy here is much better than Atlanta's, but crime is much more under comtrol here. And politics over there is much more polarized between the city and the 'burbs, than the same here.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,866 times
I've lived here for a total of @30 years, mostly due to my (former) career and for example have also lived in Arizona and Washington St. and have visited Austin & the surrounding Hill Country area several times. And strictly from a visual standpoint, I can say without a doubt that compared to those places, Houston overall is ugly.

Sure there's some "islands" of attractiveness scattered here and there, including certain spots inside the loop where some big money is being spent, Kirby and Westheimer for example, but most of Houston is a morass of ugly strip centers, freeways, puke-brown bayous, power wires strung out in the open, industrial areas crammed right next to (and sometimes inside) suburban areas because of our lousy zoning laws, all of which surrounded by flat-as-a-pancake terrain covered with grass and scrub brush. Some parts of Houston are lucky to have some trees, even small forests especially the northern portions, but usually it's tree-less.

I have noticed that (finally) some areas are trying to improve their visual appeal and while I know a lot of people don't place much importance on that, I *do* think that is an important part of one's quality of life. I just know that when I went outside to grab the mail in Arizona with its beautiful deserts and huge sky or Washington with its rolling hills and snow-covered mountains i.e. volcanoes viewable just looking through the car's windshield while going to the store for a gallon of milk, at a basic level in my gut I felt better. Not to mention there is so much more to do in those places if you're an outdoor-type person like myself.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM

433 posts, read 701,332 times
Quote:
ooohhhhhhh that is what these peeps are doing. They are living in cheap run down areas and extending it to the entire city.

Don't forget Tim is always talking about Alief.

OP these negative posters live in slums, don't pay them any attention

As opposed to 3rd World...I mean 3rd Ward?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
I don't talk trash. I talk facts. You are the one who is so delusional about Houston being such an incredible place YOU have lost all credibility except to the people who are just as delusional as you are. If you don't believe me, look at your handle.
keep believing that I give detailed advice on these relocation threads, you give hateful one liners. who comes out with more trustworthy info?? certainly not you.

and I never make out houston to be a paradise, it is because people troll aganst it so hard that we spend so much time correcting yall.

instead of you all saying our transportation system needs alot of work you guys would say trollish statements like HOuston has a nonexistent public transportation system. Obviously that is not true. Up until recently Houston had the largest bus fleet in the country. Yes bus travel isn't glamorous but it is downright lie for you guys to say there is no PT here. If you guys were not trolling so hard we would not have to be spending so much time correcting you.

If you can't give constructive criticism fairly then you might as well shut the heck up. I rode the PT for years. I know what a pain it can be, let me list the negatives and positives about instead of you guys who have never sat your butts on one saying it doesn't exist. When you do that I have got to spend all my time assuring people that we do have a bus system that I don't have time left to list the negative.

I am just saying, you can list the negatives without being nasty all the time, cause people are gonna call you on it, and you will always end up looking like a hater and we end up looking like boosters. so save both sides the trouble and be more reasonable in your suggestions.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
keep believing that I give detailed advice on these relocation threads, you give hateful one liners. who comes out with more trustworthy info?? certainly not you.

and I never make out houston to be a paradise, it is because people troll aganst it so hard that we spend so much time correcting yall.

instead of you all saying our transportation system needs alot of work you guys would say trollish statements like HOuston has a nonexistent public transportation system. Obviously that is not true. Up until recently Houston had the largest bus fleet in the country. Yes bus travel isn't glamorous but it is downright lie for you guys to say there is no PT here. If you guys were not trolling so hard we would not have to be spending so much time correcting you.

If you can't give constructive criticism fairly then you might as well shut the heck up. I rode the PT for years. I know what a pain it can be, let me list the negatives and positives about instead of you guys who have never sat your butts on one saying it doesn't exist. When you do that I have got to spend all my time assuring people that we do have a bus system that I don't have time left to list the negative.

I am just saying, you can list the negatives without being nasty all the time, cause people are gonna call you on it, and you will always end up looking like a hater and we end up looking like boosters. so save both sides the trouble and be more reasonable in your suggestions.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never commented on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston