Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

4 posts, read 12,394 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are building our first home and, after much research, we have decided on a Westin home in Shadow Creek Ranch. We're not far enough along in the process to have specific questions but any advice about incentives, upgrades, et cetera would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Have you started building already? Or have you just decided on building? I can't tell from your post.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,848 times
Ask away...

Incentives will depend on how good the community is doing in sales. I for example got 9% of my base price. Now they are doing 7%, but giving things like granite, spindels, and rounded corners included. It's always negotiable, just depends on the tempo of the area.

We used our incentive money towards structural and permanent upgrades. For example we got the media room added, shower seat in the master bath, stone in the elevation, upgraded insulation. Things that you can't easily change later. We didn't get fancy tile or wood floors, or granite in the kitchen, or even stainless steel appliances. If you got to the design center, you can easily rack up some big money.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM

No we have not begun building yet. As of right now, they don't have any of our money. We are going in Friday to start the process. We've been offered 8% incentives plus what we think is a great upgrade package (including things like level 1 granite in the kitchen and all bathrooms, 42" maple cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and platinum level energy efficiency package). Is this as good as we think it is or are there other things we should consider? What items do you feel are worth upgrading through Westin as compared to waiting to upgrade later? Thanks

Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 AM

76 posts, read 257,704 times
We upgraded our granite. I personally did not like any of their level II and I knew I better put the granite that I liked in, or it would be a while before I got it. I also upgraded the cabinets in all the bathrooms to match what I put in my kitchen. I upgraded the carpet (slightly) but I also upgraded the carpet pad as I have 3 kids. We plan on ripping the carpet out on the first floor anyways, but I wanted a more stain resistant pad in the upstairs with the kids. Upgraded the lighting, door knobs and added tile to my girls sink area in their Jack n Jill bathroom (minor upgrade charge, totally worth it!). However, those were all items that I would have passed on if I hadn't gotten the incentive money. The other items we did upgrade and that I am sooooo glad we did and can't do later are:

larger lot
3rd car garage
higher insulation
stone elevation
8 ft. doorways & larger baseboards
Moving the fence up to enclose the master bath window
lines run in anticipation of the pool
Added additional lighting & electrical outlets, mainly in garage and a floor outlet in the living room.

Good luck! You can definitely spend money on all the upgrades & design center, but if you have a good idea of exactly what you want, and what you can do later, it makes it easier to stay within budget. Don't get wrapped up in the "I have to have this & that", ect., lighting & door knobs can always be switched out later! Flooring too! Floor & Decor has awesome tile & wood for a good price.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the tips. Friday we will go sit down with the sales rep and our realtor. I'm assuming they'll want the earnest money then. Should we know what upgrades we want and prices by then so we can negotiate a better contract or how does that work?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,848 times
Well the lot and structural things I would know in advance. Those increase the sales price, they don't let you use upgrade money towards lot premiums or structural changes( I could be wrong on this one )

Yes they will.want the earnest money, and that gives you leverage. Shows you are serious about buying, which can convince the sales person to make calls to get a sale.

Good luck, you can also ask the sales person to give you a print out of the design center options. It has a pretty good dollar amount for various upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: