Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Deadline is January 6, 2012. Pin Oak is NOT a neighborhood zoned school. The only kids that go to Pin Oak are kids that have applied and made it. FYI, there is a wait list of 1700+ to get into Pin Oak. Johnston is very well known for its fine arts department and academics. Bellaire is a magnet and neighborhood school. It is a wonderful school, but keep in mind it is HUGE.
Yes, you have to apply, but you still have to be within the school's zone. It pulls from several adjacent school zones, so you have to be sure you have a "Pin Oak option" as part of your zone to apply. It's not open to everyone within HISD, like other magnets (at least this is my understanding). Which is why I said to look for it... Johnston with a Pin Oak option gives you two great options for middle school. You might not get into Pin Oak, but it's a possibility, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I live in the city for under 200k over 2000 sqft. neighbors are professionals, many doctors, we are both reformed lawyers and engineers. good schools, but if one is leary I can't imagine a side of town that has as many privates, magnets or charters within such a short distance. straight shot up to the Galleria (5 miles away). I live in Westbury. People need to stop blindly recommending the suburbs to people. those commutes would kill me too. they are only getting worse
^^^^^^ This. Can't rep you anymore, Testmo, but agree 100%. We have good publics through middle school; for HS if the HISD magnets fail us (as my lottery luck will no doubt have it), there are many private schools nearby. I love this area, as I've stated on this board many times. Small town feel with city amenities nearby. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM

39 posts, read 106,239 times
I am most appreciative of ALL your replies. I am absorbing everything I am reading and continuing to do lots of research....I know the time will fly and it will be Spring soon. I know every one has opinions and ideas so I am taking everything into consideration. The zip codes and school info helps the most.

I am trying not to be too picky...we moved from NJ after 4 yrs..and let me tell you, the housing is a third of what we could have gotten there but this is to be our last move and I don't want any more regrets. I love the idea of being closer in even though I will miss the newer homes out here,,,we barely made it last night to band concert why..husband in traffic...lol

Thank you so much!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
^^^^^^ This. Can't rep you anymore, Testmo, but agree 100%. We have good publics through middle school; for HS if the HISD magnets fail us (as my lottery luck will no doubt have it), there are many private schools nearby. I love this area, as I've stated on this board many times. Small town feel with city amenities nearby. Can't recommend it highly enough.
I agree. We bought a house under the OP's price range in The Heights-- of all places. It's zoned to a good elementary school but the magnets are an option and we figure we will see where we are in middle and high school. Lots can change in that time.

Just outside the loop in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest also has some great options.

I do the opposite commute out to the burbs and if I had to do the opposite, I would also hate Houston and my commute. Good luck with your search. I'm sorry the commute sucks right now. Here's to changing that soon!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
For school zoning, use the locator tools to determine where you will be zoned to:
* Houston ISD: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/abcx_tool/search.asp
* Compare zoned schools: http://har.com/school/
** Includes SAT and ACT scores for high schools, if you are interested in college prep
* For other districts, ask and I will post links to the tools for those districts

For Pin Oak:
It depends on which program you apply to:
* For the "regular" program you have to be within Pershing, Long, and/or Johnston
* For the magnet program, anywhere within HISD

Quote:
If the HISD magnets fail, I wonder if trying to get into AP or IB at Bellaire/Lamar/Westside might work too. If you don't get into the magnet programs, there will be no district-provided transportation

Quote:
Yes, you have to apply, but you still have to be within the school's zone. It pulls from several adjacent school zones, so you have to be sure you have a "Pin Oak option" as part of your zone to apply. It's not open to everyone within HISD, like other magnets (at least this is my understanding). Which is why I said to look for it... Johnston with a Pin Oak option gives you two great options for middle school. You might not get into Pin Oak, but it's a possibility, at least.

Last edited by Vicman; 12-15-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
No, anyone in HISD can apply to Pin Oak. Location has absolutely no relevance as to whether or not your child can attend Pin Oak. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I just had an extensive meeting with the HISD school of choice coordinator and Pin Oak was mentioned and talked about. I would hate for someone to get wrong information about the HISD schools.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
No, anyone in HISD can apply to Pin Oak. Location has absolutely no relevance as to whether or not your child can attend Pin Oak. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I just had an extensive meeting with the HISD school of choice coordinator and Pin Oak was mentioned and talked about. I would hate for someone to get wrong information about the HISD schools.
I guess Vicman's post suggests it's a little of both--depends on which Pin Oak program. Confusing, in any case!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
I agree. We bought a house under the OP's price range in The Heights-- of all places. It's zoned to a good elementary school but the magnets are an option and we figure we will see where we are in middle and high school. Lots can change in that time.

Just outside the loop in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest also has some great options.

I do the opposite commute out to the burbs and if I had to do the opposite, I would also hate Houston and my commute. Good luck with your search. I'm sorry the commute sucks right now. Here's to changing that soon!
Yes, there are many inner loop options and also a few right outside the loop with good elementary schools and magnets. But not many people like the home options in their price range. When compared to suburban homes in the $200k-$300k range, it's going to be hard to get something nice and remodeled with 3,000+ sq ft. Regardless, many people rather have a short commute and get to work and back home quicker and shave an hour or more off the total commute. As gas gets higher, the inner city will keep gaining attention and schools should continue to get better.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
I guess Vicman's post suggests it's a little of both--depends on which Pin Oak program. Confusing, in any case!
Confusing is absolutely right!!! Try this one: Right now, Pin Oak has 43 spots available and 1700 on the waiting list, but the HISD school of choice office says they can't hold anymore students at the school. However, the reason they have 43 spots open is because 43 of the kids accepted didn't show up.... and what would they have done if more kids had showed up????

Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffett View Post
Yes my price max would be close to 280K.....(we want to be able to travel and not be house poor) I would LOVE to live IN the city, but I am realistic and know I can't afford it...so I was thinking there might be some areas "around" the area of the city we could afford....Yes...3 kids in all three ranges of schools...(elem,middle & HS)....

So is North Sugarland okay??
Yes, as long as you stay south of West Bellfort. Or better yet, south of West Airport Blvd.
A new minor league baseball stadium going up, redevelopment of the historic Imperial site, good schools, new HEB and other development at Hwy 6 & Hwy 90A, Whole Foods and lots of stores and restaurants just a few minutes away at Hwy 6 & Hwy 59, and Sugar Land spent lots of money landscaping around Hwy 90A after the expansion to have it look really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston