Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
cla cla started this thread

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times

Advertisements

I am finally getting ready to set up a home theater system after having built over 4 years ago. I recently ordered a 60" Panasonic at a great price, and a Yamaha receiver at an excellent price.

I am now looking at speakers (must be in-ceiling - I am not an audiophile, so don't hate me cuz I don't want speakers on my family room floor - it would be different if this were a media room). I have just about settled on some quality Speakercraft speakers for my 5.1 install, however. And I can buy them online for half what a big-box store would sell them for. The remaining speakers in the house can be much less expensive - they will just be for background music.

The house is already pre-wired. I just need to have the speakers installed (can't do it myself - I suffer from vertigo). I am sure most home theater installers want to be able to sell you the equipment, so I am not sure if they'll come out just for a speaker installation. I do have a co-worker who has offered to do the installation, but I really would prefer someone with experience, especially since the speakers are aimable with aimable tweeters as well.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
My opinion in your case is that you got good deals on the other equipment, so I would go to the Home Theater Store or another high end reputable place and talk to them. They will sell you proper speakers for your particular space and do the install. With a warranty.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
My opinion in your case is that you got good deals on the other equipment, so I would go to the Home Theater Store or another high end reputable place and talk to them. They will sell you proper speakers for your particular space and do the install. With a warranty.
I still busted my budget on those two items - I opted for a slightly larger tv and though I was looking for a mid-range receiver, the price on the top-of-the-line flagship yamaha was so good that I couldn't pass it up, even though it was almost double what I was hoping to pay. My budget for speakers and a sub-woofer is dwindling.

But I did find a company in Houston that will just do the installation and has prices on their website. Anyone have any experience with them?

Prices and Services | Houston Custom Installers

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
I still busted my budget on those two items - I opted for a slightly larger tv and though I was looking for a mid-range receiver, the price on the top-of-the-line flagship yamaha was so good that I couldn't pass it up, even though it was almost double what I was hoping to pay. My budget for speakers and a sub-woofer is dwindling.

But I did find a company in Houston that will just do the installation and has prices on their website. Anyone have any experience with them?

Prices and Services | Houston Custom Installers
If you're going to splurge on anything for a home theater setup, it should be the receiver...so no problems there.
In terms of the installation you may want to consider just hiring a handyman company to do it.
Some of these install companies are just rip-offs.
I just checked the website you linked and they charge $119 to just to program a Harmony Remote...wow.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM

I think I will go with the diy route (rather have a friend dih). I'd rather put the money into better speakers for the tv than labor. Even if the setup isn't perfect, the aimable speakers/tweeters can be played with until it's just right.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Installing them is a cake walk. I installed about 5 in my last home around the house to listen to music. You're not going to get good bass out of them but they will sound crisp. I bought some Yamaha ones that can be had at Worst Buy or Frys. They come with a template to cut the hole and all you need is a little hand saw for sheetrock. The hard part is getting in the attic and running the speaker wire. I did mine in the summer which wasn't fun.

I had some like these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...aker&cp=1&lp=3

Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
All ceiling speakers come with a template for the cutouts. All you have to do is get a keyhole saw and make sure you cut between the ceiling studs. EZ Pleazy.

Ronnie

Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM

129 posts, read 382,497 times
My contractor installed mine as part of our remodel. I'm no audiophile so I bought klipsch for the front channels and cheaper jbl for surround and rear.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 AM

471 posts, read 1,606,866 times
I don't mean to sound like a snooty audiophile but I think ceiling-mounted speakers have got to be one of the worst places for a surround or stereo sound system, no matter what price point one is working with.

I know you said you weren't an audiophile but to me, this isn't a question of quality but rather a question of, well, it just won't work right because IMO that type of configuration is mostly just going to result in a glorified P.A. system, not an actual HT system. That's because the image (the TV) and the sound will be emanating from totally different locations - not good! Doesn't matter that the speakers are aimable either. Then I became more upset when I read the part about a top-of-the-line $X,XXX receiver being used with them, ooooh what a waste IMO!

BTW I strongly believe speakers make the most difference by far in any audio system, and while amplification (receiver in this case) and sources like CD players can also alter the sound, their contribution is much less noticeable IMO.

As a 80% solution for this (if that makes sense), if you possibly can, I would highly recommend using in-wall speakers or quality standalone models on brackets for the front three channels*, and arrange them around the TV in their proper places. And while having surround channels in the ceiling isn't optimum, at least voices and the majority of the soundtrack - but especially the voices! - will be properly matched up with the on-screen action.

* I don't know how large your room is or how loud you listen to music/movies, but generally speaking I don't recommend using any speaker, no matter how small the room is, that uses anything smaller than one 5.25" woofer or dual 4" woofers. Actually I feel better advising one 6.5" or dual 5.25" woofers for the average living room but know these days audio gear is supposed to be "heard and not seen" but the laws of physics are not into the latest fashions........

Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
As a 80% solution for this (if that makes sense), if you possibly can, I would highly recommend using in-wall speakers or quality standalone models on brackets for the front three channels*, and arrange them around the TV in their proper places. And while having surround channels in the ceiling isn't optimum, at least voices and the majority of the soundtrack - but especially the voices! - will be properly matched up with the on-screen action.
This is how my builder does it.
I thought the exact same thing about the ceiling position not being very good, but like you say, at least it's secondary for the rear.

Here's some in-walls you might want to consider.
Aperion Audio In-Wall, In-Ceiling & Outdoor Speakers
I have their bookshelf speakers and they are outstanding for the price.
They got great reviews by the audiophile community.
You even get a 30 day free trial with free shipping both ways, and a 10 year warranty.
I'm probably going to try out the in-walls in our new house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston