Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,795,737 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I are thinking of moving to League City from Connecticut. I am originally from Texas, and miss the lower cost of living, the year round outdoor tennis, and the generally slower pace of life. (i actually lived in league city when I was single in some apartments, the Anchorage, I also lived in Clear Lake, inside the loop, and in Pasadena). My wife and mother-in-law were born and raised in CT, and would also like to move, but they want to be near a beach. We were originally thinking of Sarasota, but someone suggested League City, which is close to Galveston, and close to the big city of Houston. I know the beaches in Galveston aren't as wonderful as they are in FL, but i do remember them as being nice. Also, the beaches here in CT aren't that fantastic, but I am not really a beach person anyhow. We have a 2 year old boy, and really would like to get a bigger house for a lower mortgage.

I am a patent attorney, and can practice anywhere in the USA (its a federal bar), but would also 'waive' into the Texas bar (florida has no such ability to waive in, you must take and pass the bar exam). Right now we are leaning towards buying a home in League city, and my opening a small office in the Clear Lake area.

We would like to buy a house for 20% down, and would like to be around 2000 sqft, and between $190K to $230K, and be in a good school district for our 2 year old.

My question is, does the above sound like good plan? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
You should be able to get a nice home in the area for the money you want to spend with maybe even a bit more square footage. You can look at HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes for resales. You can search in zips 77062 and 77058 for Clear Lake , not sure of League City's Zip.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,795,737 times
Any other comments?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
Well I know you said you have lived in Clear Lake, League City and Pasadena before so assuming you are familiar with the general area. League City has grown by leaps and bounds and there are a lot of communities to choose from as well as shopping areas. if you've been in this area - you know that the beach are there, people seem to really enjoy them but there are nothing in comparison to Florida's beautiful beaches. They are just beaches - nothing extraordinary. CCISD (Clear Creek ISD) has very highly rated schools, so you can't go wrong with living there for your son. If your law practice can make it anywhere - then you should be okay.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
We would like to buy a house for 20% down, and would like to be around 2000 sqft, and between $190K to $230K, and be in a good school district for our 2 year old.
You can find that in just about anywhere in the Clear Lake area. The zip codes mentioned above are a good place to start, but the newest housing is almost 20 years old. The oldest is nearing 50 years and reminds me of Meyerland or Westbury. Generally speaking the homes are updated fairly well. The other Houston zip code besides the two mentioned above is 77059.

League City's zip code is 77573. That area has literally exploded over the last 10 years so you might be able to find something newer. Another in that same boat is Friendswood 77546, just watch out for the newest Heritage Park as that is a massive KB Home neighborhood. Small towns turned suburbs. Lots of old money in Friendswood. All are in CCISD.

The whole area has a slower pace than most of Houston. 90% of the time it's a good thing... the rest of the time it's irritating.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM

225 posts, read 595,197 times
Sounds like a good plan to me. Schools in CCISD are very good, and you'd probably find something in your budget in South Shore Harbour. Go for it!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times
I'll also add to check flood plains and flood history carefully, especially in Friendswood and zip code 77058.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: