Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM

12 posts, read 15,966 times

Advertisements

I am a single female looking to start over and I have chosen Houston Texas for many reasons. One of the main reasons, Cost of living is far less than here in NY. I am only a college student and I don't have a degree that will get me a high paying job. This is one of the things that worries me about the move but either way I am going to have to start somewhere because NY is no longer an option. I don't know anyone in Houston (which is one reason it appealed to me, it gives me a clean slate) and I've heard great things about the people in the city and the job market.

Ive heard of people up and moving to other places but I can't figure out where to begin.

The following is what I have and all I know: I have saved about 10,000 dollars, I want to be able to find a job that can allow me to live in a decent place while I try to get my degree. I'm currently taking Pre Req's in order to go to pharmacy school, so I will enroll in HCC to continue that in Houston. I applied for jobs online but I need a Houston address I am finding, I want to rent an apartment and pay 6 months in advanced or even get a 6 month lease while I look for work But who will rent to me with no job. So it's like I'm stuck. How do I find a job if I have no place to stay while I'm looking. I plan to buy a used car as soon as I get to Houston. I mean I have an idea of what to do but I really don't know the first steps to put my plans in motion.

Has anyone moved to Houston starting from scratch and not know anyone?

Is this even doable?

I'm in serious need of guidance and I pray God sends me some help because I'm really stressing over this... Lol

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps with information and/or some encouragement. I could use it :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 AM

205 posts, read 246,943 times
HCC has campuses in different parts of Houston, so I would live close to whichever location where you plan on taking classes, or else close to where you will work. That way you don't have a crap commute for both.
And speaking of commute, Houston is a driving city, unlike NYC. So there's *almost no getting around having a car, unless you really like taking the bus.
(*I have a friend who did take the bus to an HCC campus, but lived within walking distance of her job in a restaurant. So it can be done.)
For the two apartments where I've lived, an apartment finder helped me choose the complexes.
Good luck!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Without a degree in Houston, get ready to join the masses. This is a blue collar town where the masses DO NOT have degrees. Labor here is cheap. If you plan on studying, then plan on having somme trouble working around your schedule. You should be able to get a job for $8-$10 an hour, so plan on renting a room or roomates.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM

46 posts, read 83,791 times
I can appreciate the stress you must be under. There are plenty of good people to help at this site, so you are in the right place. I wish you the best and Good luck.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
My suggestion would be that if you have enough courses under your belt to take a few more to complete the Pharmacy Tech program which would allow you to work as a Pharmacy Tech while you attend Pharmacy School and allow you to make a decent living while doing so. HCC and San Jacinto College should both offer Pharmacy Tech programs. Complete the necessary courses for that, and you will have a decent job while you are in Pharmacy school.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 15,966 times
Thank you all, I appreciate your responses. Is it possible to keep an apartment making $8-10 a hour? Applying to be a tech is a great idea. I figured I would try and get a cashier job and work my way into a tech position. I was told pharmacy tech school was a waste. But I'm still researching the truth behind that. You guys make it seem very possible. Does anyone know of any agencies that help u find work in houston? Temp Agencies? Anything? Again I appreciate your responses

Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,976 times
Good luck on your studies. Don't let anything bring you down. With your savings you should be able to move in, find a job, and work / goto school. Many people have done it before.

Apartment complexes do look at income / debt / etc. You will need a job in line before a complex will rent to you. My best advice is find a privately owned complex / town home and rent from an indivudal landlord who understands your position.

Craigslist is a great start.

Don't get discouraged. The sky is the limit

Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
There will be apartment communities that will accept you without a job, as you are planning on paying the 6 month lease up front. Get something small - a one-bedroom.

The question is which campus location. Find an apartment close to campus - and the job location search will then be clear.

On a used car, get something cheap and gas-saving - like a small used Toyota.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
I moved here from NYC almost two years ago (Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn). If you are a NYC native and haven't lived anywhere else, be prepared for some culture shock (in a positive way). The friendliness of people in Houston can actually be a little off-putting to some NY'ers, but most find it to be a pleasant change.

The nice thing about the cost of living in Houston compared to NYC is that you can actually live a decent life with a "normal" job. You would eventually live very well on a pharmacist's salary, unlike NYC where $100K income won't even get you 3 bedrooms in Queens. Also, the absence of state and city income taxes actually gives you an automatic 10% raise.

However, living anywhere on $8-$10 an hour is struggle, but you can get by if are very frugal and careful with your money.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
Go to the HCC campus in Midtown. You won't be able to afford an apartment in that area, but you may be able to find a duplex/fourplex or small garage apartment from a private owner to rent for around $500 - 600 a month. It won't be the nicest place, but they can be found if you are lucky.

Quiet North Montrose Fourplex Houston Apartments for rent - Renting Time

I have a friend that lucked out at a place like this for $500 in the Heights (it's rare, but happens). Then you could take the bus or ride a bike to school.

There is plenty you can do for work in that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: