Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

For the longest time, it drove me crazy that I couldn't remember what was at 1960 and Kuykendahl, caddy-corner to the KMart. Woolco.

When I was a kid living over in Cypress Villas (what a dump that place became), my grandfather used to love taking us up to Woolco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Yall have such good memories! We moved to Cypresswood in 1972 back when Jack Rabbit Rd was two lanes had almost nothing on it. Casa Elena was our favorite place to eat. The Casa Elana nachos were from heaven.

I was recently with a group of friends that also lived in Cypresswood, back when it was first developed. We were reminiscing the good old days. Not one of could remember the name of Claude Vargos upscale restaurant on Kuykendahl near the creek. It had a pretty pond in back, that you could see from kuykendahl. The restaurant also had a night club Classics after 6, I think they called the club, but what was the name of the restaurant? It has been several things over the years but we are trying to remember the original name. I think it was kind of an unusual name?

Any help would be appreciated. It's driving us crazy!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Casa Elena nachos!

Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 PM

85 posts, read 350,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Modster, do you recall the name of the very popular, but short lived hamburger joint that was built on the NE corner of Kuykendahl and 1960. It was something "like" in n out, but the specific name escapes. It was there for a short while, quite a awhile before the underpass and whatnot was started. I remember it because the drive thru line almost always dumped out into 1960. The location was hell to get out of, as well due to intersection traffic. These places popped up here and there, and then promptly disappeared. Early 90's, I think. They tore the whole thing down, and it sat there looking like a dump for years after it closed.
I remember that hamburger place, but never went in there. By that time the traffic was so bad, I never bothered to stop at that intersection. I remember back in about 1979 there was a Safeway at the South East Corner of Kyukendall and 1960 and we liked to shop there. Got to know the produce manager, and if we went in at the right time got some great prices on culls. Thos culls tasted just as good as the other produce. We loved that store and were really sorry to see it go.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
[quote=magicoz;22355396]

Here are some more questions I have about Houston retail in general (please help!):

4. Was there a small one-floor JCPenney at 1960 and Jones (down from the old Target) for a while? I remember a really dark and dingy clothing store there of some kind that was there as of 2000. Perhaps it was a JCPenney women's store or clearance store since they already had a regular store at Willowbrook Mall?

No there was never a JCPenny there. There was a Palais Royal there though which is what you are probably remembering.

5. Was the MacFrugal's/Big Lots at 1960 and Jones ever a Kroger? If so when did it close?

Don't know when it closed, but yes it was a Kroger and a Wieners clothing store

11. Was there a Home Depot at 1960 and Mills? If so when did it open, and close?

Yes there was, but don't know dates. Assume it closed when the one at Louetta and 249 opened

12. Did the AMC theater inside Willowbrook Mall coexist with the one at Willowbrook Commons (which itself moved way back in 1999 to another corner at the same intersection?)

Yes, they coexisted although I swear the Willowbrook Commons one became a UA theater at some point

Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
[quote=haudi;46047576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post

12. Did the AMC theater inside Willowbrook Mall coexist with the one at Willowbrook Commons (which itself moved way back in 1999 to another corner at the same intersection?)

Yes, they coexisted although I swear the Willowbrook Commons one became a UA theater at some point

I grew up in this area in the 80's/90's. I remember going to the Gineral Cinema inside the Willowbrook Mall and the one across the street at the AMC 10 Willowbrook Commons. I know the Willowbrook Commons is no longer there but which one of those stores is now in its place? It has been so long since I was at that theater, but this past weekend, I went to the Ulta that is there with my wife and I cant remember which building used to house the AMC 10. It looks like the entire shopping center has been remodeled. Does anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston