Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a retractable screen on french doors? I love opening my back doors on pretty days like this to air out my house, but hate the bugs that come in. I need a retractable screen on there. Wondering if there were any companies/products that are recommended over others?

The opening with both doors is 72"W x 80.25"H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Does anyone have a retractable screen on french doors? I love opening my back doors on pretty days like this to air out my house, but hate the bugs that come in. I need a retractable screen on there. Wondering if there were any companies/products that are recommended over others?

The opening with both doors is 72"W x 80.25"H
We had the Phantom screens on the doors of our former house, and liked them. However, we found them less-than-ideal with our pets because our dog would charge right through them (they are designed to snap open in this case). They did a great job as long as the dog didn't see a squirrel outside!

I think many of them have to be professionally installed to validate the warranty.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM

125 posts, read 203,992 times
If you want to consider a non-retractable screen that opens in the middle (with magnetic closures), check out bugoffscreen.com. We have one in our french door and like it a lot.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBsteve View Post
If you want to consider a non-retractable screen that opens in the middle (with magnetic closures), check out bugoffscreen.com. We have one in our french door and like it a lot.
I really like this idea the best because while I don't have pets, I do have a 5 year old and 22 month old who love to run in and out when the doors are open. So having something they could go through easily without hurting themselves or the door, or having to remember to close it would be fantastic!! I will look into this one further. I've seen them on a regular door - I wan't aware that they made them for french doors as well. May just be my solution!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBsteve View Post
Did you install them yourself? Was it fairly easy to do?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,264 times
Default I'm pretty choked

I am unsure why my post got deleted but I'm pretty peeved as it was not advertising but an actual review of the products I have in my home.

Those magnetic bug screens do look interesting.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I have one of the Bug Off Instant Screens, with magnetic closures in the middle, in my french door and really like it. It installs in seconds:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/HomePatioScreenDoor1.jpg (broken link)

I got mine at Amazon. They come in different sizes:
Amazon.com: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch: Home & Garden

Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I have one of the Bug Off Instant Screens, with magnetic closures in the middle, in my french door and really like it. It installs in seconds:

I got mine at Amazon. They come in different sizes:
Amazon.com: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch: Home & Garden

Thanks for the picture! I just ordered mine from Amazon. I have a large opening, and love to keep my doors open in nice weather like this. But the bugs are awful. I will try the bug Off screen as it has to be better than nothing!

Here's the door opening I am getting the screen for:
Retractable Screen on French doors-wp_001213.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston