Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Gotcha. Houston can give tax incentives and TIFs for buildings over a certain height or a certain square footage confined to that strip but it would have to be beneficial to the city financially as they could care less if the skyline is connected.
its not tax at issue, it is gaining the quickest buck.

overtime the hirises dole out more. they give constant money over long periods of time. The townhouses gives quick money without major effort. and in this economy no one wants to make risky big money investments.

would you rather wager 10 bucks a sq ft in this economy or 115 bucks???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That again is the city. Developers have to seek a variance to accommodate all the outdoor space, which includes parking (that the city requires, plus outdoor space and wide sidewalks. The city often denies the variance so what happens is the developers scrap the outdoor space living narrow walks for pedestrian.
In other words, the city still wants to develop around the car.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:
its not tax at issue, it is gaining the quickest buck.

overtime the hirises dole out more. they give constant money over long periods of time. The townhouses gives quick money without major effort. and in this economy no one wants to make risky big money investments.

would you rather wager 10 bucks a sq ft in this economy or 115 bucks???
Demand also is a factor. Houston is a city where suburban offices reign and there is less demand for one office building over 15 huge 2 story buildings scattered all over the metro.

BTW, it bugs me that sometimes you don't capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In other words, the city still wants to develop around the car.
not the City, but the City Leaders.

Quote:
Demand also is a factor. Houston is a city where suburban offices reign and there is less demand for one office building over 15 huge 2 story buildings scattered all over the metro.
don't think demand is at issue in Midtown.

Quote:
BTW, it bugs me that sometimes you don't capitalize the first letter in a sentence.
deal with it. Its becoming my trademark

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:

don't think demand is at issue in Midtown.

Demand for highrises? What's the scoop on highrises in Midtown? Any proposals, failed proposals, etc?
Quote:
deal with it. Its becoming my trademark
Boy I will backslap you from Baton Rouge.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Demand for highrises? What's the scoop on highrises in Midtown? Any proposals, failed proposals, etc?
I am not talking about hirises, I am talking about higher density residences in stead of townhomes. I like townhomes, just not along such a developing corridor. Anyway I was talking about these low rise residential places.
The article said that the places have no problem filling these places and that demand in that area has risen from 12K units a few years ago and has skyrocketted so quickly that it will reach over 150K in a few years. The Post Oak or whatever its called was very successful and is expanding, The Calais opened a few years ago and is already filled out and is expanding to Elgin and Louisiana. Many of these things (if done right) really fill up quickly. So the demand is there. They are predicting that over 300K will live along rail lines by 2030 (that is if they get built).

problem is developers want quick cash with little effort.

Would hate to see townhomes on Main, Fannin and San Jac this close to DT tho.

oh btw, these apartment thingies in midtown are not as expensive as I thought. They run from about $1.40 a sq ft and up. Most of them are in the $900-$1500 range. That is not bad being in arguably the best location in the city. I have seen some in the Galleria, and Memorial go for more.

But Midtown is between DT, Montrose, TMC, Museum District, UH, Rice, St Thomas, HCC. Can't be more prime than that. Only thing that is lacking is a good Grocery (Randalls isn't gonna cut it) and some good retail.

Quote:
Boy I will backslap you from Baton Rouge.
would like to see you try. I have keep my Machete near me since you LA folks moved in

nah, just kidding. y'all seem really nice. but I get to know y'all for a few months then before I know it you are moving back to the country

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Quote:
not the City, but the City Leaders.
I actually meant the city leaders in general but yeah.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
Quote:
I am not talking about hirises, I am talking about higher density residences in stead of townhomes. I like townhomes, just not along such a developing corridor. Anyway I was talking about these low rise residential places.
The article said that the places have no problem filling these places and that demand in that area has risen from 12K units a few years ago and has skyrocketted so quickly that it will reach over 150K in a few years. The Post Oak or whatever its called was very successful and is expanding, The Calais opened a few years ago and is already filled out and is expanding to Elgin and Louisiana. Many of these things (if done right) really fill up quickly. So the demand is there. They are predicting that over 300K will live along rail lines by 2030 (that is if they get built).

problem is developers want quick cash with little effort.

Would hate to see townhomes on Main, Fannin and San Jac this close to DT tho.

oh btw, these apartment thingies in midtown are not as expensive as I thought. They run from about $1.40 a sq ft and up. Most of them are in the $900-$1500 range. That is not bad being in arguably the best location in the city. I have seen some in the Galleria, and Memorial go for more.

But Midtown is between DT, Montrose, TMC, Museum District, UH, Rice, St Thomas, HCC. Can't be more prime than that. Only thing that is lacking is a good Grocery (Randalls isn't gonna cut it) and some good retail.

would like to see you try. I have keep my Machete near me since you LA folks moved in

nah, just kidding. y'all seem really nice. but I get to know y'all for a few months then before I know it you are moving back to the country
Is this corridor just one road?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Is this corridor just one road?
most of the vacant lots are on the 3 most major streets going past midtown- Main, Fannin and SJ.

Smith and Louisiana are popular too but they are probably the most continuously built up. While the Skyline district on Main kinda stops in the middle of Downtown and gives way to empty lots, it continues all the way to the end of downtown and past it. After that development along these streets continues with residential buildings and low rise offices.

Main, Fannin and San Jac goes now all the way past midtown but that is where all the empty lots are. I used to wonder why land in the heart of the city, in such a prime location in the heart of everything and where a ton of public transportation converges still remain undeveloped.

It is a shame because people say that there is a drop off once you leave downtown. Thats because nothing is being done with the land and it looks like nothing significant WILL be done with it either.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
Won't it be nice if a linear skyline was to form?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston