Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
But it was warm this year. No jacket needed!
In New York???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In New York???
I think it was only 50 on NYE in New York. I know that's jacket weather in Houston. But to New Yorkers and pretty much any Northerner, that's shorts weather during this time.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
At least it was not like BigDNYE What is Dallas trying to achieve there?
Before you turn this into dallas vs Houston Big D Nye is a well put together event with the largest and best firework show in the entire Southwest. It too could be better but it was very successful....PLEASE leave Dallas out of this and worry about Austin.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerEast View Post
Is NY NYE being too popular and Houston's being too lame, hence not everyone CAN or WANT to come, comparable to you? Wow.
NY NYE @ Times Square has been amateur-hour for drunk kids from the burbs for many years.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
have you all attended a NYE in Times Square and actually enjoyed it? I attended once. Part of it sucked because the friends I was staying with refused to go... should have taken the hint, so I had to maneuver my way over there on my second day in the city. Talk about miserable temperature, hoards of people (mostly did not appear to be from the city), expense, and standing forever. then trying to get my way back to their apartment by myself before January 3rd rolled around

is it a big event that draws a lot of tourists? yes. is that something people really want outside of the extra bucks it brings in?

the hotel and bar parties are way better in virtually every city including Houston unless the idea of mad chaos is appealing. i know there are a lot of people that enjoy it
That's reason why I wonder how come this event is so overrated.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM

208 posts, read 270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
NY NYE @ Times Square has been amateur-hour for drunk kids from the burbs for many years.
you can't be serious.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
There is no way any large event is going to appeal to everyone. Most families in the NE that would not get caught dead anywhere neare Times Square on New Years, and I am sure that applies to NO as well. As far as Discovery Green, I think they try to do too much in a small space - - but it is a nice destination when normal crowds.
I imagine that most families wouldn't be caught dead near any New Year's celebration; especially families with small children. Maybe the city should re-assess what their target demographic is. New Years Eve street celebrations typically appeal to younger crowds. Houston seems to treat this event as if it were the 4th of July. You'll never attract the huge numbers of party-goers by offering entertainment geared towards families. Nor will you attract many families because not many will bring children to an event that late at night in the winter especially.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I imagine that most families wouldn't be caught dead near any New Year's celebration; especially families with small children. Maybe the city should re-assess what their target demographic is. New Years Eve street celebrations typically appeal to younger crowds. Houston seems to treat this event as if it were the 4th of July. You'll never attract the huge numbers of party-goers by offering entertainment geared towards families. Nor will you attract many families because not many will bring children to an event that late at night in the winter especially.
They should consider doing what Sugar Land did - the family/kid-friendly celebration from 7-9pm, and then the adult festivities start at 9:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston