Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM

69 posts, read 303,937 times

Advertisements

I was laid off for 3 months, still actively searching for a job. The January 31 is the day to pay the property tax. I have financial difficulty, any way to delay paying the property tax?

What's the best way to deal on house in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
See if you can talk with your assessor and ask about possibility to make a payment plan.
Read about other options here:
http://www.mortgage-foreclosure.org/...-your-job.html
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=201879,00.html (broken link)
http://www.wisebread.com/how-long-ca...g-the-mortgage
http://www.wisebread.com/us-governme...led-homeowners
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-02-0...-irs-spokesman

Last edited by elnina; 01-04-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
I was laid off for 3 months, still actively searching for a job. The January 31 is the day to pay the property tax. I have financial difficulty, any way to delay paying the property tax?

What's the best way to deal on house in this situation?
You may be able to arrange a payment plan with the county but it's likely to require a lot sitting on hold or waiting in line listening to elevator music and speaking to chronic bottom-pay-grade local government employees before you finally talk to someone with a modicum of authority and initiative. The county does not want to own your house. They would much rather find a way to get the money they have (seemingly arbitrarily) determined that you owe them than take possession of your house in a tax foreclosure.

Then again, the tax assessor/collector's office in any of the Houston metro counties is going to be a woefully underfunded and understaffed operation with an impossibly large and complicated job to do, so they may not give you the time of day and simply start piling penalties on top of your tax bill because they simply can't afford to create more work for themselves by making exceptions.

Good luck. I hope you get a bailout.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,555,881 times
If you just need time, I would suggest paying them online with a credit card. That eliminates the stress of dealing with the goofs that jimboburnsey mentioned, and you're able to manage the payment of the bill on your terms, not theirs. Good luck, hope things get better for you in 2012.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
If you just need time, I would suggest paying them online with a credit card. That eliminates the stress of dealing with the goofs that jimboburnsey mentioned, and you're able to manage the payment of the bill on your terms, not theirs. Good luck, hope things get better for you in 2012.
Strong advice if you are in dire straits. Having a credit card issuer come after you as an usecured creditor is far better than a taxing authority forcing a liquidation for taxes. However, this tactic should only be used if you fear losing your home. Credit card interest is damned near usurious these days.

Ronnie

Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I would go in person and try to talk with someone...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,476 times
The credit card option is good advice if your tax assessor won't work something out with you. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
I had to set up payments one year with Harris County. It was easy. They will send you the paperwork in the mail with payment coupons and you sign the forms, return them, and send in the payments when each one was due. I think I split it into 5 payments.

Another option is to have your taxes paid by a tax company that specializes in property tax loans. Their interest rates are better than a credit card, but they do charge an up front fee for processing the loan that they can roll into the loan. I looked into them also.

I haven't tried to set up payments with the school district or MUD district, so no info on them.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 303,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I had to set up payments one year with Harris County. It was easy. They will send you the paperwork in the mail with payment coupons and you sign the forms, return them, and send in the payments when each one was due. I think I split it into 5 payments.

Another option is to have your taxes paid by a tax company that specializes in property tax loans. Their interest rates are better than a credit card, but they do charge an up front fee for processing the loan that they can roll into the loan. I looked into them also.

I haven't tried to set up payments with the school district or MUD district, so no info on them.

Good luck!
For the Harris county, did they charge you more money? I saw that on the tax invoice if I pay one month later, the interest will be 7%. That's huge.

Last edited by truelies; 01-25-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
I did pay it after Jan 31st, but once I set up the payment schedule, they stopped the additional penalties and interest as long as I made all the payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: