Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 AM

7,533 posts, read 11,512,406 times

Advertisements

I could see Houston stretching out 10 to 15 miles past New Waverly all the way down to Galveston and Sealy to about 10 to 15 past Baytown and filling up everwhere in between. Then I could use 10 to 15 miles from downtown I could see in this area getting 350k to 750k more people. Then Houston would have about 8 to 12 million people in the metro megplex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Theres way too much empty land between Houston and SA and Austin for Houston to meet either one. Even SA and Austin having a metroplex like DFW within the next 100 is even kind of a stretch. West Houston may be growing but not nearly enough to fill in the 200 miles between Houston and SA or Austin. And East side SA is pretty much open land until you get to the inner loop (410). I believe Houston will always stand alone.
The OP didn't ask if it could fill in like DFW. If you set ridiculous goals to prep up your answer then of course it it's going to sound ridiculous.

The OP asked if Houston can STRETCH to Austin.
It Has already stretched pass College Station, Austin is but 20 More miles away.

I say it can do it.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The OP didn't ask if it could fill in like DFW. If you set ridiculous goals to prep up your answer then of course it it's going to sound ridiculous.

It Has already stretched pass College Station, Austin is but 20 More miles away.

I say it can do it.
I'm assuming you didn't mean to say Austin. Because Austin is way further from College Station than any 20 miles.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm assuming you didn't mean to say Austin. Because Austin is way further from College Station than any 20 miles.
you won't have to assume anything if you ask yourself this:

Does stretching passed someplace mean it stopped at that place?

You can say that Austin is not 20miles away from CS if I said it had Stopped at College Station.

Greater Houston now stops at Lee county.

I did indeed mean to say AUSTIN

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
you won't have to assume anything if you ask yourself this:

Does stretching passed someplace mean it stopped at that place?

You can say that Austin is not 20miles away from CS if I said it had Stopped at College Station.

Greater Houston now stops at Lee county.

I did indeed mean to say AUSTIN
You said Austin is 20 more miles away. 20 miles away from where?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
You said Austin is 20 more miles away. 20 miles away from where?
away from where ever it stretched passed College Station to

In this map: http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/metr...bsa2004_TX.pdf all the lighter green areas around the greater Houston area are now part of the Houston area. Which means GH is 20 miles from Greater Austin.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...p=0&sz=11&z=11

You guys need to step out into the City vs City forum more often.
Things like this doesn't have to be broken down to the bare bones like this.

By the way Trinity County between Huntsville and Lufkin should be colored in too as it was added to Houston and San Jacinto needs to be decolored. It was taken out.

DFW now stretches into Durant Oklahoma and inches closer to Waco by adding Somerville/Granbury
They Touch Tyler via Athens/ Henderson County
They also added Corsicana.

Houston now stretches and touches these metro/Micro areas:
College Station- Bryan
Beaumont-Port Arthur
Lufkin

It did touch Greater Victoria via Calhoun, but Victoria just lost Calhoun.

The Gap between Houston and SA on I10 is much greater than the gap between Austin and Houston areas. Gonzales County, Lavaca County and Colorado Counties are big non metropolitan counties separating the two.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
away from where ever it stretched passed College Station to

In this map: http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/metr...bsa2004_TX.pdf all the lighter green areas around the greater Houston area are now part of the Houston area. Which means GH is 20 miles from Greater Austin.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...p=0&sz=11&z=11

You guys need to step out into the City vs City forum more often.
Things like this doesn't have to be broken down to the bare bones like this.

By the way Trinity County between Huntsville and Lufkin should be colored in too as it was added to Houston and San Jacinto needs to be decolored. It was taken out.

DFW now stretches into Durant Oklahoma and inches closer to Waco by adding Somerville/Granbury
They Touch Tyler via Athens/ Henderson County
They also added Corsicana.

Houston now stretches and touches these metro/Micro areas:
College Station- Bryan
Beaumont-Port Arthur
Lufkin

It did touch Greater Victoria via Calhoun, but Victoria just lost Calhoun.

The Gap between Houston and SA on I10 is much greater than the gap between Austin and Houston areas. Gonzales County, Lavaca County and Colorado Counties are big non metropolitan counties separating the two.
Number one: I'm in the City vs. City section pretty often.

Number two: Was it really necessary to be rude? I simpy asked a question.

Number three: That map still shows a county long gap between "Greater Houston" and "Greater Austin". But that would still be more than any 20 miles I would imagine.

Also, what are we defining "Greater Houston" or "Greater Austin" by? Because I see people meaning different things when they use that terminology.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Number one: I'm in the City vs. City section pretty often.

Number two: Was it really necessary to be rude? I simpy asked a question.

Number three: That map still shows a county long gap between "Greater Houston" and "Greater Austin". But that would still be more than any 20 miles I would imagine.

Also, what are we defining "Greater Houston" or "Greater Austin" by? Because I see people meaning different things when they use that terminology.
1. Where was I rude? Stop being sensitive
2. I said over and over that the gap is 20miles. I even posted the driving directions that said as much. It is 20 miles along 290.
3. We don't have to define greater Houston and Greater Austin. The census does all the defining. Greater Houston is what the census says it is:

Harris,
Fort Bend
Montgomery
Austin
Brazoria
Galveston
Chambers
Waller
Walker
Trinity
Matagorda
Liberty
Wharton

Are you sure you visit the City vs City forum? This was all the rage two weeks ago.

Greater Austin is still
Travis
Bastrop
Willimson
Hays
Caldwell

Burnett County was axed from Austin so was San Jac from Houston

The Bureau of Economic analysis is more generous. They already include Lee and Milam Counties in their definition of areas as these areas are economically tied to Austin Somehow. http://www.bea.gov/regional/_images/ea/econareamap.jpg Austin is area 13 on this map

Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,861,678 times
Quote:

I say it can do it.
Houston doesn't stretch towards College Station to the NW. It barely stretches to Tomball.

Hell the development between Houston & Galveston isn't even continuous yet like it is between Dallas & Fort Worth what makes anyone think it could eventually reach Austin or San Antonio is beyond my comprehension.

I'd much rather see a dense Houston/Galveston first than anything else.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-21-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston doesn't stretch towards College Station to the NW. It barely stretches to Tomball.
It not only stretches to CS it stretches PAST College station according to the Census. The Metro Area is up to Lee County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Hell the development between Houston & Galveston isn't even continuous yet like it is between Dallas & Fort Worth what makes anyone think it could eventually reach Austin or San Antonio is beyond my comprehension.
You do not make up the rules as what constitutes a metropolitan area. The OMB does.

An the standard is NOT a continuous development, and it sure is hell doesn't have to look like DFW.

Galveston is part of the Houston area whether you like it or not.

The Census says Houston stretches to Washington county whether you like it or not

Last edited by HtownLove; 03-21-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston