Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Unlike some others here where the grass is always greener in cities that the media hypes up while ignoring all the negatives, I've actually lived in both places rather than the occasional trip or observing from afar.

The Austin music scene is obviously more organized and concentrated. There are a few very notable festivals obviously. But the genres are a little different, the college scene is definitely an influence, and I don't know that I'd say the quality of the acts are necessarily better. Just different. I hear from family there that the last ACL was a snoozefest... not that it wasn't packed, but it was like coffee-shop-hipster-heaven as far as the type of music. Houston has had some pretty good music festivals as of late that I would have much rather been at as far as the type of music. Of course I am an observer/fan, not a musician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Unlike some others here where the grass is always greener in cities that the media hypes up while ignoring all the negatives, I've actually lived in both places rather than the occasional trip or observing from afar.

The Austin music scene is obviously more organized and concentrated. There are a few very notable festivals obviously. But the genres are a little different, the college scene is definitely an influence, and I don't know that I'd say the quality of the acts are necessarily better. Just different. I hear from family there that the last ACL was a snoozefest... not that it wasn't packed, but it was like coffee-shop-hipster-heaven as far as the type of music. Houston has had some pretty good music festivals as of late that I would have much rather been at as far as the type of music. Of course I am an observer/fan, not a musician.
Pretty much what I was saying.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Quote:

very good

Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Oh good. Another, "why doesnt Houston get more attention" thread.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Oh good. Another, "why doesnt Houston get more attention" thread.
We just wanna be loved!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:

Exactly what I would say as well. I lived in Austin for 1.5 years and was not impressed with the bands all over the place that just either sang cover songs or sounded like **** with their own music!

I grew up in Houston with a brother that played the lead guitar and also the sax. So I was well immersed in the music scene in Houston due to my brother who was always in a band and always playing somewhere in Houston. He is an engineer by day and musician by night. He took a job in Austin at the same time my partner took a job in Austin. So I moved to Austin as well and never got what the hype was about.. And I am a huge music person! It is mostly lame with a few good acts IMO. I am not into the college kido mentality who thinks it is cool to get drunk every night and worship the lame bands...maybe that is why the hype is overblown....it is being put out there by drunken ears

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Exactly what I would say as well. I lived in Austin for 1.5 years and was not impressed with the bands all over the place that just either sang cover songs or sounded like **** with their own music!

I grew up in Houston with a brother that played the lead guitar and also the sax. So I was well immersed in the music scene in Houston due to my brother who was always in a band and always playing somewhere in Houston. He is an engineer by day and musician by night. He took a job in Austin at the same time my partner took a job in Austin. So I moved to Austin as well and never got what the hype was about.. And I am a huge music person! It is mostly lame with a few good acts IMO. I am not into the college kido mentality who thinks it is cool to get drunk every night and worship the lame bands...maybe that is why the hype is overblown....it is being put out there by drunken ears
agree the quantity in Austin does not often translate into quality

Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 465 times
I say this from personal experience... Houston music scene is kind of pathetic. I’m a musician who has lived in both cities. Most people I met in Austin played some sort of instrument. It made for a lot of pick up bands and an overall great scene. I had a blast when I lived there. My experience in Houston has been much less impressive... Sorry.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tconnolly83 View Post
I say this from personal experience... Houston music scene is kind of pathetic. I’m a musician who has lived in both cities. Most people I met in Austin played some sort of instrument. It made for a lot of pick up bands and an overall great scene. I had a blast when I lived there. My experience in Houston has been much less impressive... Sorry.
It's more just a difference in prevailing genre focus than anything.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
I play drums in a metal band in Houston and Ill say there is a lot of potential in the metal scene here. Its just unrealized. Im hoping the band I play in can help shape it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston