Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,463 times

Advertisements

Wondering what people's opinions are on this? Austin's music scene gets a ton of hype but find myself wondering "why?"

Austin's music scene is not nearly as diverse as Houston's. For the most part (and especially the most visible part), Austin's music scene is a mix of hippie/indie/college rock type stuff that is hardly unique at all. Sure, there is 6th street and a lot of bars with music, but it's almost all the same type of music...and all the same type of people who I get rather annoyed with..

Houston has all the same hipster stuff that Austin has and then some. I think our music scene is very diverse and active. Of course, we are probably best known lately for our very active rap scene (not into it? some people aren't into the crap that comes out of Austin), we have the usual cover bands and old hippie guys who play southern and psychedelic rock, Mexican tribal music is actually very popular here and it is a rather new and fresh thing, we have other types of Mexican music too in plentiful amounts, especially Norteno, Tejano, and Mariachi, we've got the jazz clubs, salsa, the international stuff (I've seen stuff from North and South India, Iran, Turkey, Arabia, Central Asia, Africa...and then we still have iFest with world renown performers), electronic, metal, experimental, etc etc etc...

So why does Austin get all this hype?

Or is it another example of how Austin is so anti-diversity and Houston thrives on it?

Or maybe you have a different view??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,162 times
Hahahahahaha. Wow. Oh my god. Have you ever been to Austin???????? That is ridiculous!!!!!!!! SXSW????? Austin City Limits????? Jesus! Austin is known as the live music capital of the world for a reason!!!!! Artist skip Houston and go straight to Austin for a reason. Houston only gets the big acts. Original bands here struggle. They thrive in Austin. 6th Street and the Warehouse District blow anything we have out of the water. I have to go to Austin every couple of months to see bands of various genres that skip us. Will Jack White playing in a parking lot happen in Houston? QOTSA playing a free unannounced club show? Manu Chao at SXSW? Fu Manch for $10 at Red 7? Everton Blender bringing roots reggae at Flamingo Cantina? There is NO comparison.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Hahahahahaha. Wow. Oh my god. Have you ever been to Austin???????? That is ridiculous!!!!!!!! SXSW????? Austin City Limits????? Jesus! Austin is known as the live music capital of the world for a reason!!!!! Artist skip Houston and go straight to Austin for a reason. Houston only gets the big acts. Original bands here struggle. They thrive in Austin. 6th Street and the Warehouse District blow anything we have out of the water. I have to go to Austin every couple of months to see bands of various genres that skip us. Will Jack White playing in a parking lot happen in Houston? QOTSA playing a free unannounced club show? Manu Chao at SXSW? Fu Manch for $10 at Red 7? Everton Blender bringing roots reggae at Flamingo Cantina? There is NO comparison.
Music festivals equal music scene???

Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,463 times
Quote:
Like I said, not everyone like the crap they eat up in Austin, but there is absolutely no doubt that we have more diversity in our music scene here, and I'd bet it is definitely more active, too.

SXSW is a music festival, not a permanent fixture of the Austin music scene.

And I fckin hate Manu Chao and Jack White. Don't know about the others but I'll bet that I'll dislike them too.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Music festivals equal music scene???
Walk down 6th. You will see and hear metal, country, reggae,* gasp* even rap. Look and see what you like go in. Most places charge no cover. Where can you get that in Houston?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Walk down 6th. You will see and hear metal, country, reggae,* gasp* even rap. Look and see what you like go in. Most places charge no cover. Where can you get that in Houston?
I didn't disagree; however, I believe the difference is Austin has a common area [6th street area] where muscians come together; where as Houston doesn't. Many artist playing in Austin aren't even from the city.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't disagree; however, I believe the difference is Austin has a common area [6th street area] where muscians come together; where as Houston doesn't. Many artist playing in Austin aren't even from the city.
I bet over 90% of the artists there are not from Austin. It is also harder for bands to get gigs there because of the competition. We ultimately decided that relocation to Austin would not benefit us.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I bet over 90% of the artists there are not from Austin. It is also harder for bands to get gigs there because of the competition. We ultimately decided that relocation to Austin would not benefit us.
What I'm saying is many artist you see playing in Austin don't live there. I'd agree with the sense that the music scene there is more prominent , but I don't know if I'd say it's better in terms of quality and diversity.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is many artist you see playing in Austin don't live there. I'd agree with the sense that the music scene there is more prominent , but I don't know if I'd say it's better in terms of quality and diversity.
It isn't even close. Houston is top 40 and rap mostly. Austin gets it all. Houston doesn't even have that many live music venues for a city of its size.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
You can't really compare the two.

Houston has centered around underground Hip Hop/Gangsta Rap since the late 80's. Punk also thrived in Houston during the late 70's-early 80's. ZZ Top hails from Houston. For Electronic Music, artist/DJ/ producer Randall Jones signed to John Digweed's Bedrock label is from Houston. He is very well respected in the underground dance music scene & gets gigs from New York, London, Dubai, Buenos Aires, to Tokyo & everywhere in between.

Austin has always been more Blues, Alternative, Psychedelic, & Indie artists.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-08-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston