Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM

168 posts, read 467,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittsharley View Post
Hi there everyone...my finace' is moving to this country from Australia. I'm right now in jersey.. We're packing up my storage unit and Re driving to Huston area.. Never been there. Scared to death going in blind with so much on our plates...ie: getting married with in 3 months and working visas and all the added stuff.. It's making my head spin.. Soooooo I need to know the nicest areas to be in so he can commute to some ugly oil refinery.. I hate industrial.. I live in Prineton yet I'm not a snob lol but like tree lined developments. Houses are kept with pride, family friendly, and since I'm a female... I like my convenience of nearby shopping but not having it as part as my view outside my window. Traveling about a half hour to 40 minutes to a refinery.. Renting at first.. Would prefer a house with a yard I have a small Pom pup who is making the journey with us. At a monthly rent of about.....let's see.. Hmmm he said 2k. I say 1.3k. So up to 1,300 a month to start off with. No more. Gotta start somewhere.. But I like new, clean. And safe..

Can anyone offer me a birds eye view into the area.
It would be soon greatly appreciated!
Hi Kittsharley, welcome to The Lone Star State! I highly recommend you look into moving into the League City area. I grew up on 518 and I-45 and it is a great place. It has undergone tremendous growth over the past 10 years. I think a good neighborhood to look in would be Egret Bay. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 24,505 times
thanks Hawk.. i will look into the areas... how about malls, and convienience stores.. do ya all have 24 hour places?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,711,518 times
The Woodlands is too far from refineries. Period. While it may look like an hour commute on Google Maps, that does not take Houston's traffic into account. There is always traffic in Houston. Lots of traffic. Listen to what the others are saying. You need to focus your search farther south, say Clear Lake, which is quite nice, or League City, or Pearland even. You can't really imagine how spread out Houston is. And when I say spread out, I don't mean like people have lots of land around them. I mean spread out, like there are houses and businesses everywhere. Lots of people, all in their own cars all going places at the same time. This is why when you read the different posts on this board, everyone wants to know where you will work, because that definitely effects where you live. It's not just for convenience, its for your sanity.

Yes, there are lots of malls. Some really great ones, some average, some not so great. Plenty of places are 24 hour. Not in malls, but there are tons of grocery stores, convenience stores, Walmarts, etc that are all 24 hour.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,663,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittsharley View Post
thanks Hawk.. i will look into the areas... how about malls, and convienience stores.. do ya all have 24 hour places?
Do we have malls and convenience stores? You realize that Houston metro has a population of 6 million people right? Its the 6th largest in the US. Just for reference there are 8.7 million people in the entire state of New Jersey.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,711,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Do we have malls and convenience stores? You realize that Houston metro has a population of 6 million people right? Its the 6th largest in the US. Just for reference there are 8.7 million people in the entire state of New Jersey.
Kinda thinking the same thing.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM

wow.. that makes sence! well i looked into summerwood, theres a couple there for rent under 1400 a month...might have to go up to 1500 but looks like a nice development..Cypress, Spring, Friendwood???? kind of want to be in the middle of all the refineries since we dont know which on will hire him first. he's not entry level so were hoping his chances of gett ing one will be a little easier..just kind of want to stay away from port arthur and corpus christi... ya have all that beach land but looking on goodle earth.. i dont really see much of the actual beach for enjoyment.. wehre are the hot spot beaches? what about nearby amusement parks?

thats for everyones comments... im still researching everything everyone says!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 PM

660 posts, read 1,607,275 times
how hard is it to get handyman/construction/maintenance jobs inside refineries these days? i thought these sought after jobs and it's hard to get a job there.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM

hes not a handyman/maintenance constructing IN the refineries.. thats stuff he does ont he side.. hes a pannel worker and operator etc for the refinery lol

Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM

811 posts, read 1,545,343 times
If you are not moving down here til Dec 2012, if I were you I would try and come for a visit to check things out. Spring or Cypress are not near the refineries. I don't think you are appreciating just how big Houston is. No-one on here is exaggerating. Your Fiance would have a dreadful commute from either of those places. Good luck to you with your move though!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,096,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
If you are not moving down here til Dec 2012, if I were you I would try and come for a visit to check things out. Spring or Cypress are not near the refineries. I don't think you are appreciating just how big Houston is. No-one on here is exaggerating. Your Fiance would have a dreadful commute from either of those places. Good luck to you with your move though!
Agreed.

Look at google maps. Type in Houston, Tx. Find Highway 59 in the northern part of the city (NE area). Follow that down to 288 (in the Southern part of the city). You will want to stay on or East of these highways to be close (relatively speaking) to the refineries.

Summerwood is a fantastic community. It's about 10 minutes from my house. It will be about 35 minute commute to the refineries in Pasadena.

If you end up in Texas City, you need to be way south in Clear Lake/League City, Friendswood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston