Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,649,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Good advice & points, I also have a CHL but I don't see the need to carry my guns around everywhere I go, and I definitely see no need to play Wana-b-cop lol.

btw, I'm an Independent(who voted for Obama) that owns plenty of guns Sorry I just think there's more to life than guns & ammo
No point in having the CHL if you are not going to carry your weapon with you. The whole point of having it on you is for situations in which you cannot foresee and cannot avoid. If you can foresee you might have a problem somewhere you shouldn't be going there in the first place.

I have my chl and carry everywhere I go unless there is a 30.06 posted or it is a forbidden zone (sporting event, school area, etc.)

I avoid situations in which I might need to use my weapon if at all possible. I do not go to 7-11 type stores (stop and robs), I never use outdoor ATM machines, etc. But the bottom line is that your gun is worthless if you need it on the street and it's at home locked in your safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,699,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
No point in having the CHL if you are not going to carry your weapon with you. The whole point of having it on you is for situations in which you cannot foresee and cannot avoid. If you can foresee you might have a problem somewhere you shouldn't be going there in the first place.
I have my chl and carry everywhere I go unless there is a 30.06 posted or it is a forbidden zone (sporting event, school area, etc.)

I avoid situations in which I might need to use my weapon if at all possible. I do not go to 7-11 type stores (stop and robs), I never use outdoor ATM machines, etc. But the bottom line is that your gun is worthless if you need it on the street and it's at home locked in your safe.
You basically confirmed my reason on why I don't see the need to carry everywhere I go, I only carry when I see the need to.

I never felt the need to have a CHL while living in LA/San Diego, but living in Houston TX. is a different story, better to have a than not having at all.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:22 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Geez, I don't have time to drive out to some range to do that. I guess they don't need laws to bar people from getting guns....that's another way
Well the OP's question was about "legally" carrying one.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You basically confirmed my reason on why I don't see the need to carry everywhere I go, I only carry when I see the need to.

I never felt the need to have a CHL while living in LA/San Diego, but living in Houston TX. is a different story, better to have a than not having at all.
If you are going somewhere where you need to have a gun, i.e. you expect trouble to happen at a specific place and time, then you have no business being there.

For the rest of the time where your psychic powers are as weak as mine, you should have your gun with you in case it's unexpectedly needed.

For example, this attack at 5:50pm in the parking lot of a Tom Thumb (Randalls) in a middle class neighborhood in Dallas --> http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...g-Robbery.html

Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM

100 posts, read 304,218 times
Quote:
Last I checked, getting a CHL in California was next to impossible... so I'd like to know how you managed that if you ever did need to have one in LA/San Diego... (Police?) However, it would seem more apparent that you got a CHL just cause you could... so I would rather you keep your gun at home, knowing that you probably don't know how to use it.

Either way, I mind my own business just like I usually do before and after I received my CHL. If I ever feel the need to pull my weapon, it's not for show and tell or to scare someone off. You should be more concerned about people carrying their weapon illegally... but that logic seems to fail in every turn to certain political groups.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,069 times
I got a smith and wesson .44 magnum. I always wanted a 600 nitro express the worlds largest revolver but they are 16,000 and bullets are 50 each. If you buy a revolver don't drop it on concrete it will mess up the cylinder and it will cost 200 to get it fixed.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,394,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
If you buy a revolver don't drop it on concrete it will mess up the cylinder and it will cost 200 to get it fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Cowboy, Full Metal Jacket
We can trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,699,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post
Last I checked, getting a CHL in California was next to impossible... so I'd like to know how you managed that if you ever did need to have one in LA/San Diego... (Police?) However, it would seem more apparent that you got a CHL just cause you could... so I would rather you keep your gun at home, knowing that you probably don't know how to use it.
Either way, I mind my own business just like I usually do before and after I received my CHL. If I ever feel the need to pull my weapon, it's not for show and tell or to scare someone off. You should be more concerned about people carrying their weapon illegally... but that logic seems to fail in every turn to certain political groups.
LMAO Instead of making a A$$ out of yourself by A$$uming you were better off by asking lol

1. Yes it is possible to get a CHL in CA, most non-leo prefer to get it from another state that reciprocates with CA

2. My wife and I have our CHL for reasons that don't concern you.

3. I come from a leo family,(Pops & brother) although guns were never a big priority in our family, we know how to use them. fyi; my brother(current SDPD) Hates guns.

4. I don't care why you have a CHL or why you need to carry, but since you seem intent on sharing with me, I'll say this "I'm not worried about things I can't control, no sense living in fear"

5. As far as your logic and political affiliation goes (whatever it may be)..., it is just that "your logic", nothing more and nothing less. No need to take a cheap shot on someone else's gun beliefs. Take your own advice and "mind my your business just like you usually do"

Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post

USC619 doesn't need me to have his back, but I'm chiming in anyways. This is (was) a reasonably intelligent discussion that involved no personal attacks. The political forum is a much better venue for a flame war.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM

100 posts, read 304,218 times
Quote:
LMAO Instead of making a A$$ out of yourself by A$$uming you were better off by asking lol

1. Yes it is possible to get a CHL in CA, most non-leo prefer to get it from another state that reciprocates with CA

2. My wife and I have our CHL for reasons that don't concern you.

3. I come from a leo family,(Pops & brother) although guns were never a big priority in our family, we know how to use them. fyi; my brother(current SDPD) Hates guns.

4. I don't care why you have a CHL or why you need to carry, but since you seem intent on sharing with me, I'll say this "I'm not worried about things I can't control, no sense living in fear"

5. As far as your logic and political affiliation goes (whatever it may be)..., it is just that "your logic", nothing more and nothing less. No need to take a cheap shot on someone else's gun beliefs. Take your own advice and "mind my your business just like you usually do"
Agreed, I made an arse out of myself.

1. I said "next to impossible". Though what states do reciprocity with California. I know Texas and Utah don't.

4. I think that was the point others were trying to make. To be in control if things come to worse. There are too many if scenarios, and worrying about every single one will drive any sane person made. Though I wonder in what situation would you feel the need to bring a weapon if you thought you needed to.

It seems lately, I've been prone to be more defensive and offensive then usual. I've been avoiding the political spectrum, but occassionally something leaks out. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: