Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM

875 posts, read 1,651,886 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Huntsville while I was in college and the area is real beautiful during this time of year. Its in the Piney Wood located about 1.30 hours North of Houston. I was driving on HWY 75 in mid-December going north from Willis to Huntsville and it looked amazing with all the different tree colors and driving up and down hills.

Yea its here you have to go to the far north to see it. After living in Huntsville it makes the Woodlands look...."okay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,137,872 times
To each his own, I have been and have friends who lived and works in just about every major section of the U.S . some have falling in love with their new adodted cities, other do nothing but complain about how it not on houston level..that includes the NE

But I cant help but wonder how much was just you not really wanting to move, you sound happy with where you are. I have freinds who are stationed in some of the most beautiful places in the wordls and all they due is complain about how they miss houston.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is from Texasfreeway.com. The image is basically the same all over the state and its depressing. It really sucks that build our cities around the interaction of cars and not the interaction of humans.
I see a freeway with a lot of stores (and their signs). Lots of shopping in a big city.
What else would there be along the freeways?
Why would you judge the city by the freeways?
Is NYC that much different? Not that I remember. I was just back there for a visit again. Driving along the Cross Bronx Expressway is ugly. Go out to long island and drive along Sunrise Highway... not much better.

Get away from the freeways if you don't want to see all that stuff.
If you want to compare little towns in the NE to Houston you're going to be in for a shock. Instead, drive out to Fulshear, Richmond, Bellville, etc.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM

254 posts, read 519,447 times
Read my threads, at no point did I expect it to be anything like New England, as a matter of fact I knew it would not be.

I thought it would be like the suburbs of Charlotte and Atlanta, it was not.

You have more flat undeveloped land than I have ever seen and still the builders insist on postage stamp lots, I can not for the life of me understand that.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,013,639 times
the OP: you visited houston and the best area you saw is Katy?

sounds like all you did was tour the suburbs. yes to many the suburbs suck

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,626,470 times
I think you have taken pictures to share your experience.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM

875 posts, read 1,651,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
Read my threads, at no point did I expect it to be anything like New England, as a matter of fact I knew it would not be.

I thought it would be like the suburbs of Charlotte and Atlanta, it was not.

You have more flat undeveloped land than I have ever seen and still the builders insist on postage stamp lots, I can not for the life of me understand that.
Its not flat in the Northern tip of the Merto. That area favors those areas of Atlanta and Charlotte and looks if not the same but better because of all the trees and hills. You have to go far north to see areas that favor Atlanta etc. because of the sprawl.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM

48 posts, read 129,134 times
Really to each his own dude, sorry.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

23,729 posts, read 14,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Don't slap the pitbull if you don't tolerate being bitten.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Ha! Folks do get a tad testy when you tell them their baby is ugly.

We could do better, but it still smells & looks like money.

The op was coming here for work. Part of the reason Houston is like it is, everybody is coming to work. Kinda like the boom town it was after the war.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,626,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Its not flat in the Northern tip of the Merto. That area favors those areas of Atlanta and Charlotte and looks if not the same but better because of all the trees and hills. You have to go far north to see areas that favor Atlanta etc. because of the sprawl.
Really?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston