Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times

Advertisements

IMO in Houston especially, areas, just like people, can defy labels and sometimes first impressions can be deceiving. Some high crime areas can look good, and some sketchy looking areas can conceal nice areas just behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I would not call my home a Closet, see earlier post that shows my neighborhood, my home was $600K and it is well built, 3500 square feet not including the 1200 square feet in the finished basement, so actually 4700 square feet. I have half the basement (Another 1400 square feet) left for storage. Live on one of the Top 50 rated Public Golf Coarses in the US, have over an acre of land, I could go on and on. Heated floors in bathroom, Spray-in insulation, 2 fireplaces, hardwood through-out except the basement where I picked high end carpet. Jeldwen windows, Central Vac, Fresh Air system, alarm system. No neighbor behind or in front of me, Gated community.

I am not trying to gloat, but it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. You are correct many areas of the North-East are very expensive, but based on what I saw in Texas its not as far apart as you may think.

Keep in mind the economy kit us harder, my neighbor paid $150k more 18 months earlier than I did for similar type home.

I actually have lived in the Northeast. It was for about a year and the home I lived in (rented with others) was a million dollar home and the neighborhood was still sketchy. The home had been recently renovated and, although it was comfortable, it didn't include any mind-boggling amenities. The only reason that it was as nice as it was was because the homeowner had renovated it so that she could rent it out.

I'm glad you found something that works for you (staying in the Northeast). Best of luck to you.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
Perhaps Texas isnt for you but as a former Connecticut resident, I couldnt get out of there fast enough. I'm so tired of cranky, rude people filled with road rage and unhappy with their life. No offense but you seem very stuck on creature comforts instead of the people that will be your neighbors. You can always upgrade your home but you cant change the people around you. My only regret is that I didnt move out sooner.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
Hi, I am a native texan in connecticut, looking to move back to league city. Can you give morfe detail on why couldn't leave CT fast enough, for my wife and motherinlaw's benefit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Perhaps Texas isnt for you but as a former Connecticut resident, I couldnt get out of there fast enough. I'm so tired of cranky, rude people filled with road rage and unhappy with their life. No offense but you seem very stuck on creature comforts instead of the people that will be your neighbors. You can always upgrade your home but you cant change the people around you. My only regret is that I didnt move out sooner.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM

125 posts, read 198,392 times
How many times do you need to look at that shoreline before it gets old?

I am honestly making an effort to put myself in other peoples' shoes here.

What does looking at a mountain and a lake on the way to work do for you? It's not that I don't appreciate beauty. It's not that I don't think by most anyone's standards that Denver is much more scenic than Houston.

In the grand scheme of things, what does being more scenic do for me?

I can understand not wanting to live in pollution like LA or the east side of Houston. I get that part of it.
The flat, mundane, Katy area that has little pollution.
How is that any worse than a house in Denver that has a mountain nearby?

Unless you specifically like to snow ski. again, I can see if that is the case that Houston is not for you.

For simply looking at scenery though, why does that help your quality of life? Help me understand.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM

208 posts, read 552,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I grew up in the Northeast and went to college in Texas.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You went to Texas with preconcieved notions that some loser that you met who heard from another loser that Texas was blankity- blank and never tried to be openminded there.

The funny thing that many people notice including me is that Northeasterners HATE Texas based 90% of the time on heresay and no real life experience. (Not surprising because the Northeast is very provincial)

..... but Texans dont hate the Northeast

Says something about that open minded and accepting thing that people in Mass think they invented
What states in the northeast are you speaking about hate Texas? This is the dumbest statement anyone can make. You are saying you know everyone in all the states in the northeast and they all hate Texas. Did you read what you typed? Grow up and stop posting silly comments that have no merit.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,066 times
All was well until I saw that 2nd photo. Here, I fixed it for you:

Shoulda gone to Magnolia:

Attached Thumbnails
Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............-x38s47.jpg   Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............-magnolia1.jpg   Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............-magnolia2.jpg   Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............-mass2.jpg  

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
No zoning to lot size isnt set by city and a board of existing home owners. Most have small lots as that is what the market wants. Weather isnt conducive to a lot of times out doors so the big lot is an expense most give up for a larger home on a small lot. There are a few very much rare developments in surburbs with larger lots.

Houston is a great place to work, more so than the best place to live although its not as bad as it looks from afar without its zoning. I like the west side near Katy as well. I lived in NJ before living in Houston for 27 years recently and now live in Plano near DFW for one year so glad to help as needed although sounds like your mind is made up

Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM

254 posts, read 522,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
How many times do you need to look at that shoreline before it gets old?

I am honestly making an effort to put myself in other peoples' shoes here.

What does looking at a mountain and a lake on the way to work do for you? It's not that I don't appreciate beauty. It's not that I don't think by most anyone's standards that Denver is much more scenic than Houston.

In the grand scheme of things, what does being more scenic do for me?

I can understand not wanting to live in pollution like LA or the east side of Houston. I get that part of it.
The flat, mundane, Katy area that has little pollution.
How is that any worse than a house in Denver that has a mountain nearby?

Unless you specifically like to snow ski. again, I can see if that is the case that Houston is not for you.

For simply looking at scenery though, why does that help your quality of life? Help me understand.
For some I guess maybe it does nothing, I would bet those same folks never had anything to look at.

Today I have mountains and Country, sitting on my front portch relaxing with a beer is very enjoyable, all I hear is birds and nature. Originally I was from Long Island, my parents had a home in Montauk, the Sunsets off the water is nothing you could ever get "Used" to, it was amazing.

It makes a HUGE difference IMO.

How can you not want a good view and nice scenery? That is what I could never in my life understand.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times
There are many beautiful places in the USA.
The northeast has a lot of them.

Houston on the other hand is fugly, no doubt about it.
Some areas are just less fugly than others.

Speaking of sunsets though... I have to admit we do get some awesome ones. Too bad they set over fuglyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston