Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

134 posts, read 296,731 times

Advertisements

Hi, do you guys know whether or not state agencies in Texas do credit checks on job applicants?
I heard that it is a common practice if your work involves financial assets, but what about postions that have nothing to do with finances?
Thanx ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
It would depend on the position, but it could be part of the background checks for any number of jobs. Especially anything involving a public trust and/or public safety (medical, law enforcement, etc.). The good news is that govt agencies are usually good about detailing all the steps involved in the hiring practice, and it should be easy to see what credit history requirements there are for any particular position.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM

134 posts, read 296,731 times
Thanx, Drlizardo.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
More companies are doing background and credit checks. They feel those w bad credit are more likely to steal if in a sensitive position.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 AM

168 posts, read 470,048 times
State Agencies and Corporations conduct BOTH background checks and credit checks these days.

First, they want to know if you have a criminal history.

Secondly, they want to know if you have any civil judgments (bankruptcy, court cases, liens, etc.) against you.

Thirdly, they want to verify you are who you say you are based on previous addresses and employers.

Finally, they will use your credit information, specifically how well you manage to pay your bills on time, to determine how reliable you are.

All of this will help the hiring party develop an overall view of your persona.

Bear in mind that it is 100% illegal for a State Agency to discriminate against someone based on their credit history; however, it is perfectly legal for corporations to do. Unless you are seeking a Finance related position, most Corporations will not tread into this territory due to the possible legal ramifications not yet set forth by the courts. Besides, it is difficult to prove Credit History Discrimination.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM

103 posts, read 136,203 times
Actually, first and foremost they want to make sure you didnt smoke weed last month. Then they will soend the money on background checks, credit checks, etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM

168 posts, read 470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
Actually, first and foremost they want to make sure you didnt smoke weed last month. Then they will soend the money on background checks, credit checks, etc.

LoL! Of course that is the first thing they want to know. And you better not have because they do Hair Folicle Test now that that can tell them if you smoked as far back as 6 months (Although they usually only test for 30 - 90 days)!!

I had to undergo a Hair Follicle test for my current employer and the lab technician was so bad at gathering the samples he left me with three bald spots on my crown area!!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
They shaved my arm as I wear mine short and tight.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminpenumbra View Post
Hi, do you guys know whether or not state agencies in Texas do credit checks on job applicants?
I heard that it is a common practice if your work involves financial assets, but what about postions that have nothing to do with finances?
Thanx ahead.

some not all, law enforcment for the state level they require a peace officers license do check. Counties and cities usually dont enless u need a peace officers license
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston