Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times

Advertisements

I think some of the folks here will need some diagrams and pretty pictures along with your explanation, so they can really understand now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
I'll play

I'll keep it simple for the democrats reading.

The oil will be refined here in SE Texas.
Finished product will be shipped to China/Asia.
its a simple win-win for us.

Refineries and associated industries make up a LOT of high paying jobs on the Gulf Coast. As anyone who lives here will tell you, Refinery Workers spend the heck out of their $$

oh, the pipeline will be approved after the election. Everyone knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
You damn republicans think we need more jobs in this country when what we really need are more people getting unemployment checks so we can give this economy a good stimulating.
That's all I needed to know,
thanks for the great explanation.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM

208 posts, read 269,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
And mostly construction jobs too.

I'm actually neutral on the pipeline for the most part, but there are issues that need to be discussed that aren't, like the seizure of land from US citizens for the use of a corporation. Not everything that Big Business does is good for the citzens.
I'm neutral as well, eventhough I also have a large position in the Energy sector and make all my money in the Energy sector. I guess I'm not greedy.
It would be great if this postponement reduces the corruption with the current set of lawmakers and that better exectution is in the future. I do feel bad for Canadians though. This is the dirtiest fuel in the world (to process) and increasing production will accelerate their environmental problems, and they will loose a lot more permanent jobs than the number of temporary jobs that will be created by the project since refining the fuel will be done here in the US.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
...and if not the oil will be transported to the coast of B.C., shipped to China/Asia where it will be refined and sold into the market. Meanwhile the good ol' US of A is left continuing to kowtow to the depsots in the middle east to secure it energy needs. Sounds like a lose/lose to me.
It's not really improbable that World War 3 is being delayed since we have ties with the middleeast/asia economically. If we take that away then another war might be a good venture for the 'market makers'.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerEast View Post
I do feel bad for Canadians though. This is the dirtiest fuel in the world (to process) and increasing production will accelerate their environmental problems, and they will loose a lot more permanent jobs than the number of temporary jobs that will be created by the project since refining the fuel will be done here in the US.
You guys are confusing the c.... out of me.
Everything I know about oil I learned it from my dad when I was a kid, when he was working on Orimulsion (Venezuelan bitumen)
and I know for a fact that bitumen is not less "environmentally friendly" that any other oil.

It would be like saying "Don't drink Tequila, it's bad for your healthy. H
Here's a keg of beer that only has 5% alcohol and is much healthier"

Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
It's not really improbable that World War 3 is being delayed since we have ties with the middleeast/asia economically. If we take that away then another war might be a good venture for the 'market makers'.
Who are the "market makers"?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You guys are confusing the c.... out of me.
Everything I know about oil I learned it from my dad when I was a kid, when he was working on Orimulsion (Venezuelan bitumen)
and I know for a fact that bitumen is not less "environmentally friendly" that any other oil.

It would be like saying "Don't drink Tequila, it's bad for your healthy. H
Here's a keg of beer that only has 5% alcohol and is much healthier"
ok let me try.
Regular crude oils is like drinking beer from a bottle with a straw.
Oil sand bitumen is like drinking beer from the loose sticky soil. It's not oil but oily sand which you have to shovel/haul, and taken to processing, steaming and additives just to squeeze out oil (not sure yet of what quality).

Were talking about hauling TOP soil all the way down, unlike modern mines where you have to take an elevator down to get to the stuff. Were talking about massive deforestation and very invasive operations

Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Were talking about massive deforestation and very invasive operations
What does that have to do with the pipeline?
The oilsands are in Canada

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What does that have to do with the pipeline?
The oilsands are in Canada
Thats why I said I feel bad for Canada, which you quoted in your response.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
While "they" are trashing Canada, "they" want send that unrefined crap down here to poison our air. They could send it to the west coast of Canada and down to Ca. Texas will tolerate more stuff in the air than Ca. So the pipeline will cost more to Pt. Arthur, but the long haul cost is cheaper in Tx. than Ca.

You wanta put it in your car? Will it even make gasoline? Have you seen the photos of what getting that stuff out of the ground does?

Why would a country want to do that to itself remains a mystery. Why the USA wants any part of it is a mystery. No one's babies are freezing due to lack of fuel. Nobody needs that crap. The oil companies just want to make more money and they do not care what they have to do to do it.

Meanwhile, anybody who does not go along with this madness is called unAmerican. My BS detector is about the only thing left on me that still works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston