U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 AM

31 posts, read 113,468 times

Advertisements

So we are leasing in South Katy. Working in the Energy Corridor near 10/Eldridge. Not quite sold on Katy v Cypress area. It looks like it will come down to Cinco Ranch, Cross Creek, Seven Meadows in Katy vs Bridgeland, Coles Crossing, Longwood, ect in Cypress. I prefer the mature trees and the diversity of the Cypress area to the cookie cutter "desert" of SW Katy. Commute times from Cypress to the EC seem to rival or beat SW Katy and thats not taking into consideration the Grand Pkwy extension. The schools are comparable. I don't know maybe it's the boredom of S. Katy where all of the neighborhoods look the same (250-400k price range) no matter the subdivision.One thing Katy has going for it is that on the South side there don't appear to be many questionable neighborhoods vs Cypress where there are little pockets here and there near very nice communities. Just the other day we took the wrong turn coming out of Coles and we wound up in the sticks off of Telge on our way to 2920 which led us to even more sticks. I guess I am just thinking out loud here and looking for outside opinions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 14,463,670 times
I would not miss the Twin Lakes and Lakes on Eldridge subdivisions off of Eldridge and north of Clay.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 AM

538 posts, read 1,273,355 times
I think Coles Crossing is a beautiful development. If they had still been building last year, we would have built in there.

There's my random thought.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,500,570 times
I never liked Cypress. Way too congested out there and no prettier than Katy imho. Lived there for a spell 12 years ago. Couldn't imagine living there now.
Go out to the Woodlands if you want mature trees.
Fairfield and other neighborhoods were built on old prairie just like Katy.

We fell in love with Cross Creek. Our house is almost done.
We love the natural landscaping concept they have and the neighborhood has a very laid back, almost resort like feel to it. More austin-ish in vibe than houston imho.
Plus it's a relatively easy commute to the energy corridor.
Unfortunately we have to commute to Montrose.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM

488 posts, read 530,652 times
Hwy 290 is the devil incarnate.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM

538 posts, read 1,273,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
I think both Hwy 290 and I-10 are the devil incarnate. Most of I-45 is too.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM

73 posts, read 130,884 times
+1 for Longwood. It's kind of like a miniature "Woodlands." If I ever make it back home, we're definitely gonna check it out. Oh and for a master planned community, Cross Creek does look pretty nice...

Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM

2,925 posts, read 4,578,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
No lie.

That right there would make me pick Katy just because.

45 is horrible but it has some good pockets. Once you really start seeing the Downtown skyline about 5 minutes from I-10 that's when it gets to be hell and onward to Downtown. I-10 is bad but it depends on where you are sometimes. 290 is bad the minute your tires hit the lanes.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM

9,274 posts, read 25,009,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger1906 View Post
So we are leasing in South Katy. Working in the Energy Corridor near 10/Eldridge. Not quite sold on Katy v Cypress area. It looks like it will come down to Cinco Ranch, Cross Creek, Seven Meadows in Katy vs Bridgeland, Coles Crossing, Longwood, ect in Cypress. I prefer the mature trees and the diversity of the Cypress area to the cookie cutter "desert" of SW Katy. Commute times from Cypress to the EC seem to rival or beat SW Katy and thats not taking into consideration the Grand Pkwy extension. The schools are comparable. I don't know maybe it's the boredom of S. Katy where all of the neighborhoods look the same (250-400k price range) no matter the subdivision.One thing Katy has going for it is that on the South side there don't appear to be many questionable neighborhoods vs Cypress where there are little pockets here and there near very nice communities. Just the other day we took the wrong turn coming out of Coles and we wound up in the sticks off of Telge on our way to 2920 which led us to even more sticks. I guess I am just thinking out loud here and looking for outside opinions!
Does budget keep you out of the EC? OR do you just have to have new? 77079 isn't cookie cutter, exceptional schools and family neighborhoods...but if you have to have big and new, with a big and new schools...then it won't be for you. The top end of your budget will get you a moderate remodel in that area..with NO COMMUTE- bonus

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM

9,274 posts, read 25,009,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
I think both Hwy 290 and I-10 are the devil incarnate. Most of I-45 is too.
No joke. It's getting worse every year.
We need the Hardy to shoot past Huntsville. 290? Can't pay me to drive that any day or hour of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston