Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

74 posts, read 124,611 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy a house.

My husband works at the energy corridor and I work downtown. DH is willing to accept a longer commute if the rest of our conditions are met, so please don't restrict yourself to just along I-10.

In fact, I'm hoping to find out about some hidden gems with this post -- neither of us want terrible commutes, so we're not looking to move out to the Woodlands or Katy (nice though it is), but we're willing to look anywhere within a reasonable distance from both our jobs.

We plan on having kids, so we're looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good public schools.

Our budget is between $150-300K.

We want at least a 3/2.

Right now, we're renting in the Heights. We'd love to stay but know it's not practical given our budget.

Would love any recommendations of locations meeting our conditions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,499 times
Check out Larchmont in the Galleria, south of Richmond between Chimney Rock and Sage, north of the 59. We recently looked into that area, the elementary is new, very small and is hoping to be an IB Candidate school later this year, the middle school is an IB Candidate school and you can choose Lamar High which is an IB school, but check into this yourself. Bonus investment wise - one day it might end up looking like St. Georges Place across Richmond - teardown city.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,717 times
In the energy corridor there's a couple neighborhoods in your budget that should help mitigate the commute. Westwick and Sherwood oaks both have houses in your price range zoned to really good schools. If middle and high school don't matter, farther into town there are royal oaks, nob hill, long point woods and spring branch woods which are pretty good. In the loop you're looking at either a townhouse or you may have a chance at something in timbergrove or lazy brook. You're not going to find a SFH int the loop west of downtown for under 300k otherwise.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
If you are willing to be closer to the high end of your budget, you have a few options. Have you considered townhomes around The Heights? Do you intend to be there for a long time?

Heights: 1121 26th St, Houston, TX 77009 - HAR.com

Cottage Grove near the Heights: 5739 Kansas St B, Houston, TX 77007 - HAR.com

Something like this in Larchmont near the Galleria: 5417 Judalon Ln, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,487 times
Have you looked into Shepherd Park Plaza? It’s kind of a “hidden gem”. If you are looking to stay close to town, it could be a nice fit. I don't have direct knowledge of the schools, but I have a client that has her kids at Durham Elementary and she really loves it. Also, price range might be appropriate depending on the size and level of updates. Furthermore, there are a lot of 4 bedrooms if you are looking for something a little larger. I live in Timbergrove and the vast majority of the homes are 3 bedrooms. Not many with 4 bedrooms at all.

Shepherd Park Plaza - Houston, Texas

Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 PM

105 posts, read 111,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlymarried View Post
Hi!

I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy a house.

My husband works at the energy corridor and I work downtown. DH is willing to accept a longer commute if the rest of our conditions are met, so please don't restrict yourself to just along I-10.

In fact, I'm hoping to find out about some hidden gems with this post -- neither of us want terrible commutes, so we're not looking to move out to the Woodlands or Katy (nice though it is), but we're willing to look anywhere within a reasonable distance from both our jobs.

We plan on having kids, so we're looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good public schools.

Our budget is between $150-300K.

We want at least a 3/2.

Right now, we're renting in the Heights. We'd love to stay but know it's not practical given our budget.

Would love any recommendations of locations meeting our conditions.

Thanks.
What type of children do you want your kids to be friends with?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,321 times
Are schools important now or in the future? There are several option along I-10, but it all depends on what type of home you are looking for new or resale?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
Westbury on the south west side the one of the best neighborhoods it is the best bang for your buck. I love close to the area I love it I will move it is so close to everything. You can get a nice 2000sqft to 2500sqft maybe even a totally remodeled one. There is currently a home for sale on Duxbury totally remodeled 4/3/2 just under 2400sqft 130k if you have kids you might not want to move to this part of Westbury Westbury High School suck look in the part of Westbury that is zone to Bellaire High

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

103 posts, read 136,216 times
Ah yes, good ole Westbury, where 82 year old ladies get beaten to death and their husbands get beaten down. Sounds like a real nice place in the gem known as Fondren Southwest

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

74 posts, read 124,611 times
These are all great suggestions! Please keep brainstorming!

In answer to your questions, we're planning to stay put for the foreseeable future. Both husband and I love our jobs and in our fields there's little chance of relocation or transfer... although you never say never.

In answer to the school system question... well, it's at least a little way off as at the moment there's nobody even on the way. That's in the near future, though, so we want to consider it.

As far as a new build v. resale home, we're open to either.

We're willing to do some rehab on a home, but neither of us have the time, energy, or expertise to take a house down to the studs and redo from scratch. Husband is good at small repairs (paint, tiling, etc) and I'm a good helper. But neither of us have the skills to do major jobs like taking out walls, redoing electrical, etc. So if that work needs to be done, we'd need to hire someone -- and consider that part of the budget.

As for what type of children we want our kids to be friends with... I'm not sure I understand the question. We want our kids to be friends with kind, moral people who treat others with respect. We expect them to value education. We would expect that they would grow to be adults who pay their taxes, work hard, and give back to the community. Does that answer your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston