Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM

196 posts, read 417,284 times

Advertisements

Here's what I've had good luck with...

• I've been with Startex for Electricity for almost 2 years. They've got great fixed rate plans with low KW rates.
• Smith Thompson for security system.
• Sears outlet for washer dryer (North of Hobby Airport on S. 610)
• Number1Direct.com for my Samsung french door fridge. (Least expensive 5yr. full warranty and free white glove delivery, and free 10 yr major component warranty).
The same 5yr full warranty at Sears was $500. Number1Direct was much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM

833 posts, read 1,871,128 times
For electric you have to do your home work and is a challenge to get the best rate. They have to release a cheat sheet on their website of what the rate is at different usage. I went with reliant because it appeared to be the best rate of 9 cents based on 2000kw but forgot to look at the extra charges when you go below. Last month I only used 500kw (1700 sqft home) and the bill was still high because of the extra charges going below 1000kw at 13 cents. Still not bad I am below $100 a month every month and my wife works from home so we are always using power. You live in an new home and your electric cost is typically very low compared to even a home that is 10 years old.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Further View Post
Here's what I've had good luck with...

• I've been with Startex for Electricity for almost 2 years. They've got great fixed rate plans with low KW rates.
• Smith Thompson for security system.
• Sears outlet for washer dryer (North of Hobby Airport on S. 610)
• Number1Direct.com for my Samsung french door fridge. (Least expensive 5yr. full warranty and free white glove delivery, and free 10 yr major component warranty).
The same 5yr full warranty at Sears was $500. Number1Direct was much less.
If the security system is already installed, can you go with any provider like Smith Thompson, or do you have to use the company that installed it?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM

105 posts, read 234,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
If the security system is already installed, can you go with any provider like Smith Thompson, or do you have to use the company that installed it?
Here is a link for Smith Thompson specifically: Texas Home Security System Residential Alarm Wireless Monitoring Home Security Service

You can call them and they will tell you if your system is compatible.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Just a hint for future buyers (won't help the OP). Unless you want to go high dollar right away, ALWAYS get the builder to throw in 2" faux wood blinds. Its a great last minute negotiation tool, costs the builder almost nothing (because they do so many) and saves the buyer not only the money ($2-3k) but the hassle of having to do this immediately when you are doing a bunch of other stuff.
Excellent point! That's what we did with every intention of replacing them. 18 months later, and they're still there along with a nice little valence.

Ronnie

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,150 times
I can recommend two things:

1. Sears has a "commercial" desk where they sell appliances to contrators/builders. Most likely, you can use that commercial desk and just tell them the [contractor] built your home and sent you to them. Ask your builder if they have that available. Perry does. I did that and got HUGE savings, including a Samsung bottom freezer, french door fridge that was $2800 at regular Sears for only $1890, and I got the front load washer/dryer Kenmore for about $1000 off the pair at regular Sears. And it seems to last for two years or so from build date. I got the washer/dryer 8 months after I moved in.

2. Lawn Mower - Honda is always the best bet for cutting and longevity, but Consumer Reports highly touts the Toro Recycler 22", self-propelled. I have had both, and for the difference in price (Honda $150 more), the Toro is the bomb!

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,779,217 times
3 hours of valuable time in the hot houston sun vs 30 bucks for hiring a hard working crew who needs the money more than i do.

Ummm... ya, i'll go with Option B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston