Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM

193 posts, read 340,381 times

Advertisements

Long week dealing with overpaid yet whiney employees and corrupt state agencies.

For those of you who don't know, Texas Parks and wildlife regulates where and what seafood is acceptable for commercial operations and public consumption. They also maintain their own maps of acceptable areas for commercial fishing and provide them upon request.

Like any reasonable person engaging in this activity, I requested maps from one of their office people. I then made several copies and distributed them to my managers and ships. So after 2 weeks of activity in various public waters, I get several notices invalidating our companies product.
It turns out, I was given outdated maps that resulted in some of our product being disallowed for public consumption.

For those of you who don't know Texas has several public waterways where sealife is considered unfit for consumption. It is really an enormous amount of area with prohibited fishing compared to elsewhere in the country.

I called Texas Parks and Wildlife to complain about this mixup and hopefully make sure it doesn't happen again, and not even a apology was given. All I was told from a Guy name "Beau" or "Bo" that all this regulation has to do with all the liberals in Washington, and I need to vote and donate to the appropriate interests if I want things to change. Good to know that TX has bright people like this protecting the public.

To top it off, I got word from one of my managers this morning, that his entire crew, three 25-35 yr old guys quit abruptly, saying "its too hot", "you don't pay enough" and "we shouldn't have to work Sunday." These guys, mind you had minimal education and minimal skillsets prior to this job. I even installed satellite radio on their ship so they could listen to trashy country music.

Sunday is generally a good day to get a good catch, because depending on local so many boats will not work this day. We get generally 3 days off a week. They couldn't deal with having to work on Sunday...although they did it for months with no complaints, just absolutely weird.

Now, granted I've had people quit times in the past, but to claim I don't pay enough? It's too hot?
1) they work in the sun, but on the water.
2) They get paid at least $16/hr +bonuses and benefits w/ a health insurance option

I can't wrap my head around it, I've never had that excuse. These guys didn't have more than an associates degree and had limited skillsets for this job (although they picked it up quick). TX living costs are much less expensive than where I came from in Maine, and I never had that excuse there.

While other owners in the area, I know without doubt are hiring illegal immigrants (many of which have heard of my higher pay and expressed interest), I can't even hold onto documented citizens with a good wage and do things by the book.

This entire state is filled with undeserving, whiney people. Yes, I may take my "whiney" self elsewhere.

The fact is Texas is not open for business, unless you're willing to break Texas and US law.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Ummm, people suck? Im pretty sure these issues aren't unique to Texas.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:08 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
Sorry, but for "low skill" jobs Americans typically aren't willing to do them. "But hire Americans we need jobs!" Then do them... Can't imagine what some fisherman were thinking their job would be if they weren't prepared for the temperature to get hot. It's Texas and fishing it typically an outdoor activity

Overall, yes people do suck. I am glad to hear for one TX Parks and Wildlife are taking it seriously how bad the gulf is getting. Does not surprise me a giant portion of the water has sealife unfit for human consumption.

Texas politicians will never *really* crack down on illegal labor. Everyone short of some yokels know how dependent we are on them and a boon to the economy they are

Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
OP, you sound like a jackarse. Trashy country music? You sound like you need to take your stereo type arse back to working for someone else. Glad TP&W is giving you a hard time. Hopefully you go belly up and have to work on a ship working Sundays listening to country music.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM

73 posts, read 159,001 times

Old 06-02-2012, 05:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Trolllllllllllllll!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

392 posts, read 633,932 times
I'd agree with the consensus, baddoctor. The single common factor in your troubles... is you.

Only an associate degree to be a fisherman? How can somebody catch fish without studying Shakespeare, Belgian history and calculus?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM

193 posts, read 340,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Sorry, but for "low skill" jobs Americans typically aren't willing to do them. "But hire Americans we need jobs!" Then do them... Can't imagine what some fisherman were thinking their job would be if they weren't prepared for the temperature to get hot. It's Texas and fishing it typically an outdoor activity

Overall, yes people do suck. I am glad to hear for one TX Parks and Wildlife are taking it seriously how bad the gulf is getting. Does not surprise me a giant portion of the water has sealife unfit for human consumption.

Texas politicians will never *really* crack down on illegal labor. Everyone short of some yokels know how dependent we are on them and a boon to the economy they are
TPW aren't really that serious about it, besides the one or two times they test waters a year and change their regs.

It's pretty laughable about some of the people on this forum call me a jackass for staying legit, while they criticize illegal immigrants left and right. Probably had their home built by illegal labor as well.

China is going to become the largest economy in the world this decade because of this same sentiment towards"low skill jobs" that really aren't low skill. Sometimes being lazy is just being lazy.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
You are the one who said they didn't need an education .... maybe an associate's degree is too high for that skillset.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
Lemme guess. You're a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston