Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 15,019 times

Advertisements

I just bought a home in the southwest area of cinco ranch and found out that the elementary that i was zoned initially Stanley but now rezoned to elem 35 a new one scheduled to open in August...

Any advantages or disadvantages about this as I have no control now.

I will not know if the school will be recognized or will be exemplary anytime soon or will it ever be...will they be strong in academics?

What chances am i taking here..

Any responses will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,306,947 times
All the elementary schools in the area are the practically the same. Nothing to worry about.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM

967 posts, read 2,608,890 times
Let this be an awareness to all, that of you buy a house in a fast growing area like Cinco SW, you cannot do it based on one particular school. Schools are being built and rezoning will be the name of the game for quite sometime.

Kids are resilient... It's often the adults who struggle.

The school will be as good as you expect Stanley or any other to be. If you are parsing test scores and trying to pinpoint minutia it will help you very little. The fact is, it's not the curriculum that makes the test scores so great. It's that you are among families that will push for high scores, expect the best and can pay for tutoring if the kid gets a B.

The principal of Stanley came from Mayde Creek (oh nos! North Katy!). She's a fine principal, at least as fine as she was at a Title I school. What's the secret to Stanley's success? It's demographics.

I like living in Cinco SW, but I can assure you, no one school is going to better for your kiddo than the other. My neighborhood was rezoned from Griffin to Stanley. There are things that I miss about Griffin. But one isn't automatically better than the other.

Sit tight, because the rezoning isn't over. There's a new high school coming up in a year too. As I say, the kids will be fine. Us adults need to relax

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM

833 posts, read 1,884,895 times
Going to a brand new school can be a very good thing. Your best teachers will want to teach in a brand new facility. I remember when Griffin opened and all the teachers in Katy wanted to work there. Your good teacher love to teach and they know in a new school in a nicer neighborhood is going to have the type of kids they want to teach and having all brand new things is a big bonus for a teacher.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 PM

45 posts, read 98,922 times
Unfortunately, we're in the same boat. We purchased literally across the street from Stanley. Fortunately, my kid doesn't start school for a couple years so we want have to worry about any sort of adjustment.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 15,019 times
Thanks for your responses. I hope it works out well.

Hollywood Hogan, we are right across the street too and never thought it would be rezoned as it was so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston