Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It's right off of Memorial is what I ment. And no memorial DOES NOT extend to hwy 6. And the chronicle gets stuff like locations wrong all the time.
sure, ignore the fact that the area is referred to memorial by HAR and people that live there.

your definition MUST be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
I heard it was a parade of cars on that street when it hit the market. Probably a good stragedy for that house. It has suffered hurricane damage, including a tree though the front of the house, that was not fixed promptly. Seemed like a blue tarp was on it for years.
So in other words, people jumped at the chance to buy a lot.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,460 times
Interesting. I found this conversation on google. We too have been looking in this area and are having difficulty purchasing anything. We want to buy one of the older homes on the large lots back along the park, but they're never on the market.
I grew up in Houston(Afton Oaks), but we've been living in the NE for 10 years, and as a family we've grown accustomed to bigger yards. I was hoping to find the same here. There're neighborhoods that have almost an acre with fencelines full of trees, but no one sells them. We looked in Katy, but the lots are small and houses seem very cheaply built even in the higher price ranges. I just don't want my backyard to have a view of a fence and another big house.It's not a bad place by any means, we're just looking for something different.
It's hard to keep renting, but I know that we'll eventually find something that works.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoHouston View Post
Interesting. I found this conversation on google. We too have been looking in this area and are having difficulty purchasing anything. We want to buy one of the older homes on the large lots back along the park, but they're never on the market.
I grew up in Houston(Afton Oaks), but we've been living in the NE for 10 years, and as a family we've grown accustomed to bigger yards. I was hoping to find the same here. There're neighborhoods that have almost an acre with fencelines full of trees, but no one sells them. We looked in Katy, but the lots are small and houses seem very cheaply built even in the higher price ranges. I just don't want my backyard to have a view of a fence and another big house.It's not a bad place by any means, we're just looking for something different.
It's hard to keep renting, but I know that we'll eventually find something that works.
budget? 10k-15k lots in nice areas of Houston are available for reasonable amounts (Afton Oaks lots were probably around this), but much bigger than that and you're looking at either a huge cost or bad area. In the Villages, most lots are atleast a 1/2 acre, but they go for $2 million plus. Same with River Oaks. There are some rural like areas of Spring Branch North that have large lots, but not very good public schools. I think because of Houston's flatness, homebuilders built alot closer together in general because they could compared with other areas of the nation, so most houses sit on less than a 1/4 acre. When you get here, find out where you're working and I'm sure someone can point you to the nearest large acre development around town. Be warned though, large lots usually come with lax or no restrictions, so your neighbor could be a nice couple or a junkyard hoarder. You never know.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
sure, ignore the fact that the area is referred to memorial by HAR and people that live there.

your definition MUST be right.
I thinks we're talking about two different things. I think you're referring to "memorial area" and I'm talking about Memorial city(which is what I think most people think of when they think of memorial) No need to get your panties in a bunch. Memorial City, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I thinks we're talking about two different things. I think you're referring to "memorial area" and I'm talking about Memorial city(which is what I think most people think of when they think of memorial) No need to get your panties in a bunch. Memorial City, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well next time you go correcting people make sure you understand what you think you're correcting. The whole discussion has been around 77079 and the memorial area, no mention I've seen of memorial city, which is definitely different. There's alot of memorials (memorial bend, memorial glen, memorial villages, memorial cleaners, etc). Try to be more cognizant next time.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Well next time you go correcting people make sure you understand what you think you're correcting. The whole discussion has been around 77079 and the memorial area, no mention I've seen of memorial city, which is definitely different. There's alot of memorials (memorial bend, memorial glen, memorial villages, memorial cleaners, etc). Try to be more cognizant next time.
Take your own advice, dumb ass.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Take your own advice, dumb ass.
Someones feeling hot under the collar now aren't they. Anyway, obviously this whole argument is irrelevant to the topic at hand so let's just drop it.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,460 times
We have a nice budget, but certainly can't afford the larger lots in The Memorial Villages. The houses in that area,that're in our price range, need a lot of work. We have specifically been looking in 77079, hoping something comes up along the park trail. We'd like to be able to bike to work in cooler months,using the park.
We're currently renting a townhouse near Town&Country Village, waiting for the spring housing sell off. Maybe we'll find something on a smaller lot that works, but we have not seen it yet.
Someone sent me a private message that the Memorial Village schools were better so we should buy there. Our child is currently enrolled in a local public but will be attending private in the fall. But thank you. If we had to go to a public High School, I think Stratford would be just fine for that.
Thank you for everyone's help, we'll keep looking and hoping.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoHouston View Post
We have specifically been looking in 77079, hoping something comes up along the park trail. We'd like to be able to bike to work in cooler months,using the trail.
Wouldn't we all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston