Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 PM

413 posts, read 1,179,845 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow Houstonians,

We just bought a new home, yet to be built, in cypress (77429). We didn't have a realtor (not the smartest decision I know) and we have paid around $95 per sq ft.

The house has granite, media room and a few other upgrades. Another guy from work also bought close by and on the lake (the tiny pond I would say) and he paid $97 per sq ft.

Did I mess up too bad since lot on the lakes tend to be more sought after and expensive and it's only a $2 dollar difference in sq ft. His house has 10K more in upgrades and the size is almost same. Basically, he got a better deal in the same neighbourhood (without realtor) one

Looks like I'm having buyers remorse and would be parting ways with my deposit pretty soon (almost 5 grand). Expensive lesson learnt. I hope they give me atleast my options money back (5 grand)..any real estate attorney recommendations? The contract says you get nothing after 10 days but we haven't been to the design center etc. Oh man!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Did you buy the house to live in it or to sell it? If the former, who cares, if the latter, yes, you screwed up.

Ronnie

Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Who is the builder - and what subdivision?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Did you buy the house to live in it or to sell it? If the former, who cares, if the latter, yes, you screwed up.

Ronnie
To live and enjoy

Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Who is the builder - and what subdivision?
white oak lake estates coventry homes.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Naturally, everyone wants the best possible price. If you had a Realtor, they could of probably pulled up some of the past homes for sale. By looking at the past 6 months, you could of likely got a better deal per sq ft, but you also didn't do too bad. There's a home on Oak Harbor Bend that sold in August just shy of $90 a sq ft.

Do you plan to sell within the next 5 years? Is your home in the 3k sq ft size or 4k?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Naturally, everyone wants the best possible price. If you had a Realtor, they could of probably pulled up some of the past homes for sale. By looking at the past 6 months, you could of likely got a better deal per sq ft, but you also didn't do too bad. There's a home on Oak Harbor Bend that sold in August just shy of $90 a sq ft.

Do you plan to sell within the next 5 years? Is your home in the 3k sq ft size or 4k?
I know but when you see someone who paid almost same and got a lake lot + more upgrades...it just make you feel stupid (which I officially am right now). Some lessons are learned the hard expensive way.

This house is 4K sq ft..no plan to sell in the next 5 yrs. I guess it affects the resale - why would someone buy a regular lot when they can buy a better one for just a little bit extra.

What's the avg. price per sq ft in white oak? Does having a stone elevation affect resale? I might have to spend more to get stone because I didn't get the stone (and you guessed it right..the other home has it)

Last edited by smuggy_mba; 02-02-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
That home that sold that low was an inventory home, which represents the best deals. Build from dirt homes are the most expensive. People that buy inventory can go in with quite a bit of equity. That will not happen with build from dirt.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Every home transaction is unique and as long as you're in the right ball park, you did ok. Aside from what's already been said above, there are other factors. Even among inventory homes, the time you buy makes a difference ...ie, maybe the company is trying to meet a bonus/quota; maybe market changed, maybe that home has been on the market longer or they're more desparate, maybe it's on an irregular lot, maybe your floorplan is more popular. As for 10k extra upgrades, those are always marked up....it probably translate to 3k to the company. Even if you offered less on your house, they may not have accepted it, perhaps you already hit bottom. If you like the house and felt you got a reasonable price for it, enjoy!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
This is exactly why it's no one's GD business what you paid for your house (or car, or boat, or your 401k) or what they paid for theirs.
Especially nosey co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston