Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM

60 posts, read 69,336 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new alarm/security system to install in my home since my current one is completely dead. i have been w/ ADT but I cancelled my acct. due to that fact they want to charge $123 for the first HALF HOUR & we all know they will not take 30 mins. so I have no attachment with the company.

I have changed my battery so that's not the problem. (It's probably the transformer but none the less, a tech has to come out to look at it) Since I do not have a contract with them, I am leaving ADT.

What company would you refer & is a good company? I have heard there are company's that are less than $30.00 but want to know if I can trust them. Let me know what you think!

Also, since I already have a system in the house, would it interfere with a new one; such as wiring. would it be a lot of work for the new company to install since ADT wires are already inside the walls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,003 times
Any new system would use your existing door and window contacts. No problem there. Most companies will offer up a deal if you sign up and let them monitor the system.

I use mine any time I am gone and we arm it at night. Somebody ever breaks in at night I want to have a good chance of ventilating their skull.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I use mine any time I am gone and we arm it at night. Somebody ever breaks in at night I want to have a good chance of ventilating their skull.
Ditto.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM

208 posts, read 270,166 times
you can do it yourself or ask a friend. you can even buy the same unit if your locked out of your current one. most of them will use the same wires and you can add wireless components. then call up alarmrelay.com or nextalarm.com and they'll hook you up by phone.
make sure you get the installer code and master code. dont let anyone set it for you

Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
We use it as a deterrent only. Not hooked up to a phone line to whomever. Our alarm system is backed by Smith & Wesson.

Ronnie

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM

196 posts, read 419,976 times
It cost money for a tech to drive out for a service call. Some companies regardless of service, charge more for the initial time lot, or tack on a service call fee along with rates.

Smith Thompson is what I have and its been good so far (almost 2 yrs). They're a bit different than other companies as they charge for install & equipment. But, there monthly rate is low. I called about 6 companies and took notes when I was in the market. With a cellular system, monthly fee's can get up to the 40-50 dollar range. Smith is only 17 per month with cellular. Also they are a local company serving TX areas.

In addition to the monitored cellular alarm system, I also installed a CCTV camera system with remote viewing capabilities.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 24,053 times
Interesting timing. I am having Smith Thompson installed today.

$299 + tax installation, but only $16.95/month after that.

There is also no long contracts like ADT and others charge.

Don't be fooled by the 'no cost installation' companies. They kill you in the monthly monitoring fees and lock you into long contracts.

In the end Smith Thompson is significantly cheaper.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
We use it as a deterrent only. Not hooked up to a phone line to whomever. Our alarm system is backed by Smith & Wesson.

Ronnie
You really should get it hooked up though. You never know when it might happen.
We were broken into in the middle of the day last year. Got the call and was able to run home. They were gone by the time i got there but if I didn't know, my house would have been wide open all day long. My dog was out, running up and down the street terrified. Could have lost him forever, too. Our permit had lapsed so ADT couldn't notify the police. Oops.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM

913 posts, read 4,345,320 times
Smith Thompson
I have checked most comments here last year and this is what many people here recommended. Because it is
- much cheaper than big corporate names
- provides cell phone support (no need to have a phone land line, GSM module is installed)
- if 12 months paid in advance the 13th month is for free

Generally speaking, remember, it is just a bunch of sensors. The average police response time is 5-15 minutes. It leaves plenty of time for robbers. So....

1. Install door (and window) reinforcement
2. keep your valuables in safe
3. when home, ideally, have a gun nearby (and learn how to use it!!)
4. or a dog
5. or a very vicious cat

Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,893 times
I have Monitronics and it's around $36/month. I got it through Anchor Security who installed glass break in two areas, carbon monoxide monitor and fire monitor and cell backup. They charged an installation fee (around $300 I think, plus any additional equipment - one time fee). The house was already pre-wired for doors and windows. Last night with all the wind, one of our door sensors went bananas at almost 2am, and the alarm went off. They called very quickly to verify if everything was OK or call police.

Other neighbors have Turbo Security (Turbo Communications) and it's pretty inexpensive from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston