Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 AM

23 posts, read 37,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally11 View Post
Welcome to Katy. You will get free Katy newspaper and there are plenty events listed. In old Katy is a great library next to an off leash dog park next to wonderful children's park and Mary Jo Peckham Community Center ,5597 Gardenia Lane,Katy, Texas 77493
Near by is Museum about Katy history. Katy was named when rail road was build and there was a popular innkeeper Katy. Puritan people prefer to believe that name Katy is derived from K and T sections of the railroad. There are several farmers markets in Katy. Usually Saturday morning. In old Katy are also some small shops where it is fun to do your shopping. Katy Mills is ultra modern huge shopping center next to it is a huge Walmart if you like that kind of stores. Down the Katy freeway direction to San Antonio is newly open furniture store. Only bad thing in some neighborhoods in Katy and Houston is an aggressive HOA ( Home owners Association ) They force people to sign away they constitutional rights when they buy house in their area and sometimes even foreclose on them for small things. Check them out in advance. Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and morehoareform.org
For what to do in Katy : Things to Do in Katy, TX - Attractions, Activities, What to Do in Katy - Uptake.com

[/SIZE][/font]

Thanks so much for that information, great stuff! I will certainly be looking into that, wish I would have known before I purchased my home but oh well. We've lived with HOAs in the past and I vowed not to do it again, but with my DS job being in Houston this was the best option for us. I guess not having HOA's will come when we retire .

As for the library thanks! I was wondering if there was a local library near by. We use it often, and not sure on how it is out there but here we are able to even rent movies via an Automation system right outside or inside the library using your library card. You can view the latest DVD/BlueRay movies or XBOX/Playstation games online, reserve them and rent them. It's a great system they have here! Do they offer anything like it out there?

I'll have to learn where Old Katy is since I really love farmers markets, we have plenty of them here in Chicago within a drives distance. Looking forward to exploring, meeting new people, and making new friends. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 37,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
There are some good places in Katy. I only know the family type places like All Star family grill on 1093 or some Texas Traditions in Old Town Katy and the list goes on and on. There are lots of restaurants out here but most of them are more family oriented type atmosphere. For a date night on the town you got to into Houston but it just makes it more fun and exciting of getting dressed up and going into town.

I know I will be checking these out for sure....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenyfl View Post
Yes we are in Fulshear, TX I guess its Houston Land, lol! In any case, congrats on your home purchase as well. Hopefully, we can find some great restaurants in the area, if its good then the drive will be worth it. Coming from Chicago the food here is great and is probably one of the few things we'll miss. However, I hear Houston has some great places...looking forward to the experience!
Ya, Houston is one of the top places in the country for food, no doubt.
I was just hoping to find some decent places out by us so I don't have to drive into Houston all the time. I'll be doing that all week long for work, and it's probably the last thing I'm going to want to do on the weekends.

You might like that George's Pastaria I mentioned earlier. Not too far and he is from Buffalo NY. We are from upstate ny as well. Very casual family atmosphere, good prices and good food. Service can be spotty though.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM

208 posts, read 552,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenyfl View Post
Hello, we have just purchased our home in Cross Creek Ranch . We are relocating from Chicago and are excited for what this new experience will be like for us . Having only lived in Chicago for 2 years we are happy to return to the south (we originally lived in FL for 19 years). Is there anything that you can tell me about Katy, Cross Creek Ranch, Texas/Houston Living? We have a 10 year old son and things to do on the weekends with him would be great things to know. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
You purchased a home in Katy and you are asking about the area? It makes sense to do the reverse.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM

76 posts, read 257,618 times
Don't let these people scare you, there is a lot to do in Cross Creek & Katy. Within your neighborhood you will have tons of trails that your son can go biking/walking on. As well as the neighborhood pool. When you exit your neighborhood and take a right onto 1093, there is a resturant right before the Shell gas station that is pretty good, though it does seem to take a while to get the food! Texas Traditions is also another good place, again, take a right onto 1093...it's in the same complex as the Dollar Store. Do not let the look of it scare you, it has great hamburgers/onion rings/chicken fried steak/chicken...ect. Anything more and you will have to head in the opposite direction to 99. Oh, La Finca is on your left, coming out of Cross Creek..heading towards 99. It's pretty good Mexican Food. There is All Stars right there as well (food was ok, more of a place to take younger kids...except the playground was so chaotic, I wouldn't let me kids go near it!). There are a couple other restuarants right there I have not tried. Here is my secret date night resturant...Antonia's, right by Katy Mills Mall. Love the food, atmosphere and service. Sign your kids up for whatever sports they are interested in as that is a great way to meet people and learn more about your neighborhood. Cross Creek is a very good neighborhood and you should enjoy it. HOA can be a bit much, but it definitely helps keep your neighborhood looking the way you want it to look. Good luck! My dad lives in Chicago and can't wait to move back!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM

237 posts, read 648,145 times
Welcome to the area.

Some good places to eat....

Dekkers Grill in Fulshear is pretty good..we went Saturday night for the first time.

Marini's Empanadas in Katy is one of our favorites.

Black Walnut Cafe in Katy is great.

Candalari's Pizza has some of the best pizza around.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 AM

19 posts, read 43,243 times
My husb and I are outside of Chicago and considering a move to Texas also... trying to figure out which schools are suitable for my kids - then look at homes. Would love to know why you picked Katy over every other town (all I have is a map and zillow to look at and haven't been down to visit).

Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakalamicnews View Post
My husb and I are outside of Chicago and considering a move to Texas also... trying to figure out which schools are suitable for my kids - then look at homes. Would love to know why you picked Katy over every other town (all I have is a map and zillow to look at and haven't been down to visit).

You need to figure out where you will be working first if at all possible. Katy had good schools, but if you work in the Woodlands it wouldn't make sense. Houston is all about the commute.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM

76 posts, read 257,618 times
Definitely agree with Houston321 regarding commute. There are great areas (as in great schools) on almost every party of town. If you can specify what area you will be moving to, I am sure many people here can direct you which neighborhoods to look at. I love Katy, but I definitely don't think Katy is the ONLY place to live in Houston!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 23,696 times
Speaking of commute.... what about commute from Katy to Galleria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston