Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 26,691 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a job offer in Houston, off of Katy FWY and Sam Houston Toll Way. For now I will be needing an inexpensive 1 bedroom apartment in a decent area near there. I really know nothing about the area. My family will be staying behind until our current home sells so I am trying to budget if I can afford to take this offer and maintain two households for an unspecified amount of time.

I am budgeting for

1 bed apt
cable/internet
power (any other utilities I am not thinking of?)
trips home every two weekends

What other expenses are we forgetting?

I need to counter this offer tomorrow and need to figure out if we can make it work and for how much.

Thank you for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubbie View Post
Hi all,

I have a job offer in Houston, off of Katy FWY and Sam Houston Toll Way. For now I will be needing an inexpensive 1 bedroom apartment in a decent area near there. I really know nothing about the area. My family will be staying behind until our current home sells so I am trying to budget if I can afford to take this offer and maintain two households for an unspecified amount of time.

I am budgeting for

1 bed apt
cable/internet
power (any other utilities I am not thinking of?)
trips home every two weekends

What other expenses are we forgetting?

I need to counter this offer tomorrow and need to figure out if we can make it work and for how much.

Thank you for any help!!
How will you get to work etc in Houston, are there additional car expenses to consider? Also how about food costs if Houston or will you be able to cook as much as you do where you live as a family now? Houston has tollroads too so if you drive dont forget that expense on top of gasoline etc. Also how long are you willing to wait for the house to sell before going to a plan B? Is the job in Houston enough better in pay, lower cost of living and stability to make it worth this big inconvience? Consider asking your new employer for some housing assistance at the new location if they want you more than someone local due to experience etc. Random thoughts pick and chose or discard all they are worth what you paid for them.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate the input. Like anything, if the offer is right, it will be worth it. It is a good opportunity, good experience. If I can find an apartment nearby, there shouldn't be additional car expenses, gas prices seem to be about the same. I just don't want to live somewhere that I have to worry about the tires being stolen off of my car or worse. If we can come to an agreement on a counter offer, this move would be a positive thing. If not, the job search continues.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM

So I have been reading and reading here. Trying not to take anyone's thread off topic (sorry about that one ;-)) If I will be working in zip 77079 where would be the least expensive, decent apartments be? I don't need anything fancy but I don't want to have to worry about my car or break ins either. I don't want a long commute to work. That's about my list of necessities. I am finding it very difficult to figure these things out from a distance. Are there any other websites that anyone can recommend for research?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM

237 posts, read 648,145 times
do a search for hudson oaks townhouses in memorial area....great location, and can generally find some that are for lease.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
That zip code is pretty safe. Do not be worried about car theft, etc.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Than you both. I am finding some decently priced units in the area.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Beware of the apartments off Country Place, north of Memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: