Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Definitely a suit - either pants or skirt. Nice shoes and the hose --- I think it is okay with or without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgirlfriend View Post
Hi!

I will be moving to the Houston area (Clear Lake) in a few weeks. I'm wondering what the level of dressiness is for interviews there. I am an Office Manager/Admin Asst/Bookkeeper kinda gal. I have dressy pants and blouses and various heights of shoes. I usually go dress pants, blouse, jacket/sweater and higher heel for interviews. Is the vibe more formal than that? More casual? I know that a lot depends on the type of business, but after going from Silicon Valley to nearly rural NC, I discovered there can be a big difference in what's expected. Any hints will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Use a suit (pant or skirt). Make sure no low cuts and not too tight. Closed toe shoes. Try not to wear black, that's for funerals. Navy blue is good for interviews...neutral and formal. Minimalist jewelry and nothing that make noise. Daytime makeup (keep neutral). Fix your hair so that it's out of the way (some people gals play with their hair when they are nervous withouth realizing). I'm sure once you get the job they will probably tell you to dress down, especially during Summer, but you still want to make a great first impression.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
houston is not a liberal s. california type place in the business world. fairly conservative.
What does politics have to do with dress code for interviews?
Are you saying that people don't have to dress up for interviews with BP and GE? (so-called green companies)

Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
I'm really not blown away by the question. I've had interviews (always were a suit, tie and white shirt), and the interviewer shows up in a pair of chinos and a golf shirt. And, no, that wasn't on a casual Friday. Regardless, showing up in business attire never goes out of style.

Ronnie

Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I'm really not blown away by the question. I've had interviews (always were a suit, tie and white shirt), and the interviewer shows up in a pair of chinos and a golf shirt. And, no, that wasn't on a casual Friday. Regardless, showing up in business attire never goes out of style.

Ronnie
Yeah but the guy who is doing the interviewing already has a job he doesn't care. YOU'RE the one who wants the job. You have to show your serious, and not some slacker. This isn't some hollywood movie like the pursuit of happiness with will smith who shows up looking all dirty with a tee shirt and paint all over him, but gets the job because he blows them away with his personality. I don't care if your going for a job to scrub toliets dress your best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston