Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 26,691 times

Advertisements

Just jumping in, we have Aldi's all over the place here in the KC metro. There is nothing wrong with them at all other than that I never have a quarter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
I like the idea, while I have not been to this particular brand of supermarkets in Germany, I have been to many of them where you do pay a deposit for a lot of stuff... bottles.. jars... imagine having to bring your empty 2 liters back to the store, put it in a machine, and it spits out a receipt, which gives you a discount when you pay your bill on your way out... call in green... or simply a war-minded economy with not a lot of resources... I think a lot of European countries have that mindset...
I would love that idea! Just imagine - you buy a case of bottled water, or juice, or beer and pay deposit, but when you return with your empty bottles, you just pay for the fluids and not the bottles.
You get your deposit back when you bring your empty bottles back and don't buy anything. This is thinking "green"
Now you pay for the containers and you have to throw them away.... or recycle, but get nothing back...
You don't need to buy bags if you take your products in a box, or bring your own bags. Isn't that great?? Less bags flying around or hanging on the trees.
The deposit for shopping cards keep the prices low. No need for additional personnel to collect the carts from the parking lot, and less damage to your car. Isn't that a win-win situation??

Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Are you being serious right now???
It's always more fun when you don't really know.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
What To Buy (and not buy) at Aldi

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Europeans are resourceful and we happen to live in about the least resourceful state in the country.

My out of state friends and family are always shocked when I tell them we do not have recycled goods pick up separate from garbage, for example.

Oh yes, Europeans are so very resourceful. They also handle their economy very well as well.

And again, oh yes, other states are so green and ahead of their time. California is a wonderful example. They also have a robust economy.

More people are moving to this state than any other. Funny...our anti-European ways and horrible resourcefulness don't deter them.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
^^^What was the point of that rant...having a bad day are you?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Oh yes, Europeans are so very resourceful.
Glad we all agree.

They also handle their economy very well as well.
If you say so. No one else did.

And again, oh yes, other states are so green and ahead of their time.
Not ahead of their time, but better than us in many ways.

California is a wonderful example.
1. Washington
2. Vermont
3. New York
4. Oregon
5. California
6. Nevada
7. Maine
8. Colorado
9. Minnesota
10. New Hampshire
11. Massachusetts
12. Maryland
13. Arizona
14. South Dakota
15. Hawaii
16. Florida
17. Pennsylvania
18. Illinois
19. Connecticut
20. Georgia
21. Virgina
22. Rhode Island
23. North Carolina
24. Michigan
25. Missouri
26. Iowa
27. Tennessee
28. Wisconsin
29. Arkansas
30. New Jersey
31. Idaho
32. South Carolina
33. Nebraska
34. Oklahoma
35. Ohio
36. Texas
37. Utah
38. New Mexico
39. Kentucky
40. Kansas
41. Mississippi
42. Montana
43. Alaska
44. Alabama
45. Indiana
46. Delaware
47. Wyoming
48. North Dakota
49. West Virginia
50. Louisiana

More people are moving to this state than any other. Funny...our anti-European ways and horrible resourcefulness don't deter them.
The money saved pays their bills better.

GIVE ME A BREAK!
I'd be more than happy to.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would love that idea! Just imagine - you buy a case of bottled water, or juice, or beer and pay deposit, but when you return with your empty bottles, you just pay for the fluids and not the bottles.
You get your deposit back when you bring your empty bottles back and don't buy anything. This is thinking "green"
Now you pay for the containers and you have to throw them away.... or recycle, but get nothing back...
You don't need to buy bags if you take your products in a box, or bring your own bags. Isn't that great?? Less bags flying around or hanging on the trees.
The deposit for shopping cards keep the prices low. No need for additional personnel to collect the carts from the parking lot, and less damage to your car. Isn't that a win-win situation??

This is a really good idea. Seriously...is this being done anywhere?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM

18 posts, read 26,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't shop there a ton but they have really yummy jarred artichoke hearts and some good salad dressings. They also will get seasonal goodies similar to Trader Joe's (they are owned by the same company).Their milk is always a good price too. They have a lot of their brand packaged foods. I have never thought their produce looked very good nor their meat.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
So if I don't have a quarter on me for a cart I can't shop? Why not just higher an extra kid at minimum wage to take care of carts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston