Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times

Advertisements

A new grocer in town, but don’t forget your own bag | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

How will Katy PD (and county) handle the inevitable increase of crime due to a low priced grocer coming to town? So many questions to be asked.

Will there be robberies in the parking lot?

Will carjackers indiscriminately try to steal SUV's in the parking lot? Will crime spill over?

Will the elderly constantly fall victim of roofing scams?

And finally, finally what about the children? Oh, dear Lord, what shall Katy do?

Goodbye, Katy. It was nice knowing you.

Time to move to Sealy, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
A new grocer in town, but don’t forget your own bag | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

How will Katy PD (and county) handle the inevitable increase of crime due to a low priced grocer coming to town? So many questions to be asked.

Will there be robberies in the parking lot?

Will carjackers indiscriminately try to steal SUV's in the parking lot? Will crime spill over?

Will the elderly constantly fall victim of roofing scams?

And finally, finally what about the children? Oh, dear Lord, what shall Katy do?

Goodbye, Katy. It was nice knowing you.

Time to move to Sealy, folks.
Are you being serious right now???

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Are you being serious right now???
I may, MAY be poking fun at a few posters.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
You must have missed the previous thread about Aldi coming to Katy, and the ridiculousness that ensued after.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I pretty sure he's playing with the NIMBY set...who will also be first in line for the bargain/budget shopping.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
After looking online, it reminds me of Auchans (speller correctly?) that used to be here. They also had you deposit a quarter for the carts. I liked it because there were not abandoned carts all over the parking lot. It always seemed to be a cross between a regular grocery store and a Costco.

Charging for the bags could be considered a green idea. I bought canvas grocery bags but never remember to use them. Maybe I would, if I were charged for bags.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM

302 posts, read 955,179 times
I like the idea, while I have not been to this particular brand of supermarkets in Germany, I have been to many of them where you do pay a deposit for a lot of stuff... bottles.. jars... imagine having to bring your empty 2 liters back to the store, put it in a machine, and it spits out a receipt, which gives you a discount when you pay your bill on your way out... call in green... or simply a war-minded economy with not a lot of resources... I think a lot of European countries have that mindset...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
I like the idea, while I have not been to this particular brand of supermarkets in Germany, I have been to many of them where you do pay a deposit for a lot of stuff... bottles.. jars... imagine having to bring your empty 2 liters back to the store, put it in a machine, and it spits out a receipt, which gives you a discount when you pay your bill on your way out... call in green... or simply a war-minded economy with not a lot of resources... I think a lot of European countries have that mindset...
Europeans are resourceful and we happen to live in about the least resourceful state in the country.

My out of state friends and family are always shocked when I tell them we do not have recycled goods pick up separate from garbage, for example.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,669 times
Quote:
My out of state friends and family are always shocked when I tell them we do not have recycled goods pick up separate from garbage, for example.
We do in Pearland.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times
Quote:
we happen to live in about the least resourceful state in the country.
Aint that the truth.
Houston does not make it easy to recycle, that's for dang sure.
Fulshear just got separate recycling pickup this past summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston