Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 17,851 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good place or person to get my car re-painted the original color? It's 11-years old and needs to look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,018 times
There is always Macco on the cheap but it will look like crap. What are you wanting to spend? A good paint job will run you 10k and up.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Jammer's. Best in town, but not cheap.. just fair. Google it.

Ronnie

Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
A good paint job will run you 10k and up.
10k? It better have a new car under that paint job.

He said same color on an 11 year old car... not a color change on classic car restoration. Assuming there isn't a lot of body work to do... I would think you could get a quality job for under 2k.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,259 times
You dont have to spend 10k, but you'll have to work harder to find a deal the cheaper your budget. Saying Maaco will look like crap is misleading. Buying the standard service from a random Maaco will most likely not give you a result to your liking, but Maaco's are franchises, and as such the quality of your result will depend on the operator.

Like most short posts looking for a recommendation, we need more info. What kind of car, color, and post a pic of the current condition(ie, any body work needed).

You used to be able to find deals in Houston on body work. Santa Ana off 290 painted my Buick T-Type in 1994 for $400, including replacing a fender. It looked fantastic. Thats is laughable nowadays. At least 4k for the same thing. Matter of fact, that is what they told me next time I took a car there.

Kopriva Body Works is a top notch facility as well, but you will pay for the talent they have there.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,018 times
Quality paint is expensive, and that is just the paint itself. For a 10k paint job a quality paint shop will spend a couple of grand on just the paint. But yes 10k and up is a better paint job. I will not say best as you can spend over 20k for the best. 4-5k and up is a middle of the road decent paint job. 2k and up and an ok paint job.

OP give us more information so we know what you are looking for. An 11 year car can be a soon to be classic or muscle car all the way to a beater daily driver that you are just wanting to look a little better.

Also if you paint job is still in tack on the car a good detailer can get all the swirls and minor scratches in your clear coat for typically under $500 and a couple of days of work. A good detailer is not a detail job from your local car wash. A lot of those places can do more harm than good to your paint. Last time I did paint correction on my car it was 18 hours of work with my Adam's Polishes kit and overall my paint was in really good shape with just minor swirls and a few minor scratches in the clear coat.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM

105 posts, read 168,868 times
Default Location

What area would help to...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 17,851 times
Default Responding

2000 Honda Accord EX, no major body damage, few dings, in Clear Lake area.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM

168 posts, read 470,139 times
I have had body work done on several cars at a place called PCM Auto located near gessner and I-10. They also paint cars and I'm sure they do a fine job. Give them a call and get an estimate. Be forewarned however that if they tell you it will take a week plan on it taking two. They usually run slow because they receive so much business, especially from insurance agencies.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 PM

196 posts, read 419,753 times
Maaco is not worth it, even for the price. Your best bet it to get a referral from someone in the local auto industry. Or, get a referral from an actual customer where you can review the paint work up close, in good lighting.

Houston has a plethora of paint shops, overall prices are competitive. Depending on actual work needed, 3-7K should get you a good refinish. 10K + is ridiculous for a same color refinish on a daily driver or average luxury car. If body work is involved, obviously that's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: