Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,915 times

Advertisements

I actually have another question - What would happen if the house actual get flooded? I have never lived in a flood zone before so I don't know what is the impact to a house if flooded. The house was pretty much on tile more, except on one room that was carpeted. Is it a matter of cleaning the house and replace carpet or there are many more problem aftermath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I wouldn't do it. Find out who the builder was and see if you can find similar plan in another neighborhood. Are you sure you weren't swayed by the nice staging? I've seen exact floor plans but one house I fell in love iwth immediately while the other, so-so. They felt vastly different due to the soothing paint colors, scent, decor suited my style.
Another way to look at it, if all the other houses in that hood flooded, chances are resale in that area will be tough and prices will start dropping, so that's a return on investment risk in addition to actual flooding risk. Also, what will your flood insurance cost you?
Part of what makes that area appealing isn't the houses or the floor plan the actual area -- it is just unique from the standard burbs. It just feels good and that is probably what grabbed her and that it was for her. I know people who have driven through that area and El Lago and after one drive through - they say they want to live there - older homes but the area just appeals. To others, they want no part of being anywhere near that close to the water. That area is known to be a flood area and hasn't hurt the resales - it takes a certain buyer and they are out there.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM

60 posts, read 271,121 times
Default Check here.

This is a link to the FEMA flood maps of the area. I think this panel is the area you are searching within.

http://www.dodson-hydro.com/efloodma...unty/1085B.jpg

Dark shaded = 100 yr. flood plain - really means 1% chance any year.
Light shaded = 500 yr. flood plain - 0.2% chance any year.

Stay far away from AE or VE labelled areas. Those are established flood areas with wave action, which incorporates most of Seabrook.

I looked over there in El Lago and Taylor Lake areas back in 2008, but settled on a high and dry place further into Clear Lake. The one area in Taylor Lake I looked at was actually in a clear (unshaded) area, but I have no idea how it fared during Ike.

If you are in any shaded area, you will be required to have flood insurance. Note, however, that there are some unshaded areas around there, although few and they are small. Choose carefully.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM

RTFI - Here's the error that I got when trying to click the link. Can you re-post the link?

Texas7 - Yes, I really like the neighborhood and the feel of it as well. It reminds me of my old neighborhood in Minnesota.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
I actually have another question - What would happen if the house actual get flooded? I have never lived in a flood zone before so I don't know what is the impact to a house if flooded. The house was pretty much on tile more, except on one room that was carpeted. Is it a matter of cleaning the house and replace carpet or there are many more problem aftermath?
This is something that needs to be researched; seriously and thoroughly. A flooded home is much more than just cleaning the house and changing the carpet. One of the biggest issues is mold (including "black mold"). You have to tear out the walls and redo them. You can't leave wet walls (and wood?), or you will have serious mold and air health issues.

I'm no expert, but I've heard horror stories of what's involved in undoing the damages from home flooding.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
My parents house was buzzed by Rita and flooded by Ike. They lived with my sister for a few months, and finally got a FEMA trailer so they could have some privacy. The house was on cinder blocks, and still was flooded over the outlets. They had to completely gut the flooring (remove the floor completely and start over) and have new electrical wiring installed. It was an extremely long process since contractors seem to work on their own schedule and not the one you agree to. Also if you want insurance to cover the damage, you have to wait and wait for their process, too. Plus there were tons of fly-by-night people you have to watch out for that want to take your money claiming to do cheap clean up labor. Some are legit, but some try to profit off of flood victims misfortune. Restoring a house after a flood takes a team of people, and it takes months unless you are already a skilled handyman.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 02-14-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
This is something that needs to be researched; seriously and thoroughly. A flooded home is much more than just cleaning the house and changing the carpet. One of the biggest issues is mold (including "black mold"). You have to tear out the walls and redo them. You can't leave wet walls (and wood?), or you will have serious mold and air health issues.

I'm no expert, but I've heard horror stories of what's involved in undoing the damages from home flooding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
My parents house was buzzed by Rita and flooded by Ike. They lived with my sister for a few months, and finally got a FEMA trailer so they could have some privacy. The house was on cinder blocks, and still was flooded over the outlets. They had to completely gut the flooring (remove the floor completely and start over) and have new electrical wiring installed. It was an extremely long process since contractors seem to work on their own schedule and not the one you agree to. Also if you want insurance to cover the damage, you have to wait and wait for their process, too. Plus there were tons of fly-by-night people you have to watch out for that want to take your money claiming to do cheap clean up labor. Some are legit, but some try to profit off of flood victims misfortune. Restoring a house after a flood takes a team of people, and it takes months unless you are already a skilled handyman.
Both true - which is why I personally would avoid high-risk areas.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM

The water gets in the walls, so you have to have a company come in and dry your structure with dehumidifiers, blowers, etc. They cut out the sheetrock so many inches or feet above where they find any moisture and wash the structure with antimicrobials and make sure it is thoroughly dry before they put in sheetrock, float and tape, etc. Then you replace flooring, cabinets, furniture, etc. It's a lot of work and some people are up for it whereas others find it too traumatic. My relative in Conroe - floods up the light switches. Rebuilds and home looks fabulous - I think they have had 4 or 5 floods in the past 25 years.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks all for the information. It's that bad, huh. I guess I will do some additional research.

Texas - Your relative's house in Conroe get flood? That's pretty up north from the beach. How come?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Very near the San Jacinto river -- enough inches of rain and several feet of water in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston