Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,792 times

Advertisements

So I was at this open house by chance (I wasn't planning to by close to the water). It is in Timber Cove subdivision in Taylor Lake Village, near by Seabrook.

I immediately felt in love with the house. It is the 'This is it' kind of feeling.
Within 5 minutes, I knew that this is the home that I've been looking for.
It has everything that I wanted in a house and it fits my price range.
The Biggest problem:

When I asked the realtor about the flooding issue. She said that the neighborhood was flooded during IKE. The house across the street was flooded. The street was flooded. However, the house itself was NOT flooded as it was higher than the rest of the neighborhood.

My husband tried to convince me to stay out of it because 'it is not worth the risk'. I can't get over it. My head is telling me that my husband is right. The problem is I love the house so much that I'm trying convince us that the risk is small enough.

Please help share your insight!!!!! Am I crazy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,829 times
Hmmm. Just look at a map, and see how many bodies of water are around in that area (Taylor Lake, Clear Lake to the south, and Galveston Bay to the east). I don't know... Maybe if it truly is much higher than the surrounding area, that'd help.

One must ask why it is for sale (if it's such a great place), and if the price range is maybe 'overly' good. Maybe it is the house for you. Just do your homework and really think about. I don't know if it's worth getting a surveyor, but asking the neighbors would be very smart to get a "reality check". I'd never trust a realtor's word, especially in Texas. I constantly hear of realtor's not being honest or upfront, or purposely allowing themselves to be in the dark about home issues.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 02-13-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Yeah, it's real neat over there, but... When we came back to Houston after Ike had passed, that part of NASA Rd 1 near Taylor Lake literally had boats on or touching the road. That's after a lot of the water had receded.

When house searching - I wasn't that bothered by the risk of flooding, but the gf vetoed almost all houses east of I45 after we saw all the water that was remaining when we came back days after the storm (We lived in Webster). But then again if you don't mind the higher risk, and aren't averse to starting all over, then go for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,829 times
Just looked at a map, and saw that Timber Cove is actually on Taylor Lake. Also noticed, going upstream, that the lake winds into the Bayport industrial complex (ughh).

Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,642 times
FYI (in case you weren't aware) many of the mercury/gemini/apollo era astronauts lived in Timber Cove, lots of history in that subdivision... Houston 101: Neighborhood Of Astronauts - Houston News - Hair Balls

Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,010 times
Houston has neighborhoods that have flooded, and neighborhoods that will.

Thats obviously a little tongue in cheek, but still fairly valid. Many areas that flooded have had significant improvements made to drainage. I wouldnt be scared, yet. Your realtor should be able to help you get additional information, start with that county's drainage district.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Hmmm. Just look at a map, and see how many bodies of water are around in that area (Taylor Lake, Clear Lake to the south, and Galveston Bay to the east). I don't know... Maybe if it truly is much higher than the surrounding area, that'd help.

One must ask why it is for sale (if it's such a great place), and if the price range is maybe 'overly' good. Maybe it is the house for you. Just do your homework and really think about. I don't know if it's worth getting a surveyor, but asking the neighbors would be very smart to get a "reality check". I'd never trust a realtor's word, especially in Texas. I constantly hear of realtor's not being honest or upfront, or purposely allowing themselves to be in the dark about home issues.
Her realtor told her it had flooded.

Being that close to water, there is always the possibilty of future flooding, especially with the extreme weather that has been happening.

Everyone's tolerance is different. I meet people all of the time that have been repeatedly flooded and they don't seem to thing it's a huge deal. On the other hand, people like me think it's not a risk worth taking. You have to decide which you (and your husband!) are. Repeated flood claims will make for high insurance premiums. Things to consider.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
It could flood and if I weren't to adverse to the concern of potential flooding in the future, then I would definitely consider it - particularly if the house itself has never flooded before. But you and the hubby have to agree on a place so that you are both happy. A family member lives in Conroe, along the San Jacinto river, home has flooded about 5 times and they stay because they like it there.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,977 times
I wouldn't do it. Find out who the builder was and see if you can find similar plan in another neighborhood. Are you sure you weren't swayed by the nice staging? I've seen exact floor plans but one house I fell in love iwth immediately while the other, so-so. They felt vastly different due to the soothing paint colors, scent, decor suited my style.
Another way to look at it, if all the other houses in that hood flooded, chances are resale in that area will be tough and prices will start dropping, so that's a return on investment risk in addition to actual flooding risk. Also, what will your flood insurance cost you?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,792 times
Thanks to those who replied. Actual, the person told me that the neighborhood has been flooded was the buyer's agent. She actually lived in the neighborhood.
I plan to ask my realtor tomorrow to take me there and find out more information about the flooding for me.
In the meanwhile, is there a site where I can plug in a property address and it would tell me about the flooding zone of the property as well as the history of flooding in the neighborhood?
Granted, it might not be the right house for everyone but it seems to be just right for me.
The house was built in the 1970 but it still has the orignial roof. I think it's time to replace it but it's a sign for me that the roof hasn't been damaged with all of the huricances that Houston had.

Houstonfan - You might right about the staging. I actually talked the stager of this house. If I ended up buying this house, I will have her come out and help me decorate my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston