Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
As long as it's okay with your company for you to post here, it's all gravy, man. Most companies are sensitive to their information being leaked until they are prepared to do so on their own terms, but it seems Trader Joe's is one of the exceptions. Best of luck on your move.
Doesn't look like he leaked anything A few of us already posted links out there (read a few posts up) confirming what OP said - none of it "sensitive company information". OP has been called out for "not really being an employee" and a BS'er. What a fine example of helpful and welcoming we are in Houston. Wonder if all the doubting Thomases are the same folks who whine about all the Trader Joe's & In-n-Out threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Why do I have the feeling that these Trader Joes are going to be vastly overrated and that people will like it for a while and then move on to the newest cool urban store when it opens.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM

69 posts, read 406,884 times
Trader Joe's is timeless!

Even in places like trendy California, Trader Joe's had staying power. They bring in unique products at affordable prices. It attracts an upscale/educated customer, yet the stores have a very relaxed atmosphere. The employees actually appear "happy" to work there. My husband doesn't love to grocery shop, but I could always get him to go to Trader Joe's.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Trader Joe's is like Tractor Supply Company. If you've never been in one, go! As to Tractor Supply, I remember the first time I went in there. They had all kinds of cool stuff including never-seen-before-way-cool bird feeders, knives of all sorts, Ertl collectible heavy machinery toys... I was shocked!

Ronnie

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Isn't Trader Joe's owned by Aldi?

Katy residents say we should be concerned.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why do I have the feeling that these Trader Joes are going to be vastly overrated and that people will like it for a while and then move on to the newest cool urban store when it opens.
Making a trip for the $3 tasty wine is good enough for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Isn't Trader Joe's owned by Aldi?

Katy residents say we should be concerned.
I think brothers own the companies. The Albrecht (sp) brothers. That's what Aldi stands for Albrecht Discount.

I hope there is Aldi in Houston. I love that store. Their chips and cereal are the best.

We are considering a move to Houston and I didn't even think about leaving Aldi or TJ.

For the record, TJ usually go into an existing building. Where i now live in Ohio, they went into an old strip mall that was losing tenants and on the way out. The store has been there about 6 years and it's still crowded every time I go in.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
Please don't get influenced by the negative (may I say rude, jaded and cynical?) comments here.

Houston has a friendly Southern atmosphere where people are eager to help out newcomers. It’s the sixth largest US metropolitan area at about 6 million. It can be cosmopolitan (I live 2 miles from downtown in the Montrose neighborhood) with 37 foreign consulates, ranking behind New York, Los Angeles (62), Chicago (52), and San Francisco (40). The Texas Medical Center here is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.

Due to the petroleum industry, there is an international flavor that extends into the suburbs. My son went to school in Katy. He counted that his friends at school were from 32 countries. If you have kids, it's hard to beat Katy ISD for the best school district IMHO. They have a heavy emphasis on math and science because the parents support it.

At the same time it's very rural. Drive 60 miles in any direction from the center of Houston and you are in the country. Since you mentioned bass fishing there are 3 lakes close to your Woodlands store location. Just north of The Woodlands is Lake Conroe. About 60 miles NE of The Woodlands is Lake Livingston and 120 miles NE is Lake Sam Rayburn (one of the top bass lakes in Texas). There are now Bed and Breakfast accommodations there:

bed and breakfast broaddus tx - Google Maps

I’m really excited about getting a Trader Joe’s here. I lived in San Francisco for 14 months on a systems development project in 1981-1982. I remember the 9th Street Trader Joe’s with fond memories, especially the selection of olive oils. The 1440 South Voss Road location is just around the corner from my office (walking distance), so you can count me as a future loyal patron.

Hope this helps and welcome to Houston !

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM

18 posts, read 44,644 times
@mgraysonmiller........... I was expecting the conversations to go to other than what I was asking about..."how is it living in Houston?'....when I mentioned Trader Joe's... but was not expecting to be called a lier,fake and full of BS.....I now realize some folks spend way too much time poking their nose into other people business on here....no worries.
I have received a lot of good info and am looking forward to coming to the area next week to do some looking around....I found a realtor online who is sending me lot's of info and some good prospects.He and I will be looking around on my trip out . You mentioned the Montrose area, is that the Alabama Theater area? We will be in there with a new store soon also.

Sam Rayburn is one of the Bass lakes on my Bucket list...so thanks for the info on the distance.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Welcome, especially from those of us who like Whole Foods, Costco, Central Market and all the other stores. I am especially looking forward to your coming as we love Trader Joe's.

The first I ever heard of Trader Joe's was on the train from LA to Chicago years ago. I boarded in Dallas. A lady was on her way to NYC, as was I. She had a LARGE box of Trader Joe's products she was taking to her friend in NYC who really missed Trader Joe's stuff. I figured it must be awesome for someone to miss it so badly and someone else to go to that much trouble for a friend.

My brother always preferred TJ's to anyplace else he could shop in Tahoe-Reno. On my first trip I understood why.

I grew up in the Montrose. You can walk from the Alabama Theater, to the Tower and then to the River Oaks Theater, in a morning.

Costco sent a bunch of Ca. folks when they opened here. Some went back after a year, some are still here missing Ca. Judging by my family and friends from No. California, you may prefer the Montrose area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston