Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,341 times

Advertisements

There was lot of promotion in tv/media about free t-mobile phone on Saturday Feb-11 in stores only had no idea why the promotion is in-store only and found out the hard way so just want to share it for other users benefit.

The promotion included Free Samsung Galaxy Phone with 2 year contract. I did my research on-line Checked out their web-sites for plans etc and was ready to sign this deal - not much details were provided earlier just that all phones are free in-store only feb-11

was all excited to get a family plan with 2 new shiny Samsung Galaxy S phones arrived around 10:30 at local t-mobile store on Saturday Feb-11:
found few folks in line purchasing phone and several other people checking out other phones so quite busy as expected stood in line for around 20 mins asked a rep which plans is needed for this offer and got a little shock that only 79.99 each line plan is applicable so $80x2+activation ok bad but i was hoping for other cheaper plan for 200 mb data or something also was told that I have to pay $250 for each phone now will be sent back as rebate after 5 weeks that’s fine got going with sign-up all my personal info was entered into system numbers taken for porting at the last screen the rep told quietly the bill will be 80+80+activation plus $20x2 for each phone for next 20 months ! that that was shocker, what $20x2 extra for next 20 months, was told that's the cost of phone which everybody has to pay BUT I told her well the phone price is $250 which I am paying now and getting back as rebate and your spl offer is free phone so really don't understand what this $20 each line for next 20 months is about - she said this is what it is BUT why this isn't made clear/mentioned before anywhere - this was the trap they use in-store. I gained some strength and said I don't want all this as my bill be over $200 for a family plan and that's too much so she tried to sell me other phone where you pay $15 each month for next 20 months but I said NO the deal was free phone and now you are charging un-suspecting people this ridiculous amount $20x20mths=400 for each phone when your promotion says all phones free today - I consider this a big rip-off & fraud on t-mobile part so left the store no deal signed.

came home hoping that it was a narrow escape BUT it was not over on Sunday feb-12 found out my verizon service is not working and t-mobile screwed/ported up my number as they probably couldn't cancel the earlier screens some-shd have taken care as i didn't sign-up up but why would they care that would be my problem not theirs, called verizon told them that I never signed up t-mobile service but verizon told that my account is closed and number ported to t-mobile if I want my service back need to pay activation and a new account will be created and that's what I did and service is back. When a number porting request is received shdn’t Verizon or any other company send a text or something to user saying a porting request is recd and your account will be closing well who cares these companies pay the system to keep such cheks at minimum as it's a users concern not theirs – customer should expect such confirmation from telecom none so far per the current process.

I hope I don't get hit with t-mobile charges will update if that happens

Long story but I had to get this out so that other users don't get scammed by t-mobile any other other such deals from other carriers – I really tried to do my home work but t-mobile had had a better trap. I am sorry for other people who were scammed and will be hit with this $400 charge without any escape for a supposedly free sply phone promotion.

Hope this helpful other users for such offers - pls share your comments or any such experiences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Thanks for sharing that with us.

If it motivates anybody, I still have my "dumb phone" without any kind of data plan.
I rather spend my money on anything else.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
I bought my smart phone out right and refuse to pay for a data plan. I piggy back off the wifi at home when I want to download anything. I can see the 3g/4g being useful in some situations, but not enough for me to warrant a data plan.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
were you setting up a classic plan or a contractless plan.

With the classic plan (still a ripoff but) it is your current plan plus $30 per line added, plus tax.

So if your plan was $99 bucks talk and text for two, then you would pay an additional $60 bucks per web and an additional $40 bucks in taxes and fees for a total of $100 +$60 +$40= $200 per month (maybe more depending on what extras you have.

There are no extras if you signed up for a classic plan so the $40 bucks per month must have been for the no contract version.

But still it ends up as $200 a month

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
200 bucks a month for cell phone??

I think I'll stick to my $9 per month Boost Mobile prepaid dumb phone. $18/month for me and the wife.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM

413 posts, read 1,179,566 times
Commercial says you get a FREE phone but you end up paying for it in installments. That's clear cut scamming. I'm sure T-Mobile has lawyers who write up the contract/commercial in such a way that you can't take them to court for scamming.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Beats carrying around a bag of quarters and dimes so you can make pay phone calls! Ah, those were the days!

Ronnie

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
were you setting up a classic plan or a contractless plan.

With the classic plan (still a ripoff but) it is your current plan plus $30 per line added, plus tax.

So if your plan was $99 bucks talk and text for two, then you would pay an additional $60 bucks per web and an additional $40 bucks in taxes and fees for a total of $100 +$60 +$40= $200 per month (maybe more depending on what extras you have.

There are no extras if you signed up for a classic plan so the $40 bucks per month must have been for the no contract version.

But still it ends up as $200 a month
the free-phone promo was only valid for 79.99 each line plan and u pay $250 for each phone which u get back thru rebate which sounded legitimate SO I completely failed to understand why they were charging $20 for each phone for next 20 months which like paying $400 for each phone when the phone is supposed to be free after rebate that's a broad day-light scam by these greedy corporates

Most of the carriers charge around $200 for a good phone - never seen such a well-planned scheme to rip-off unsuspecting customers by charging $20 additional for each phone and you have to anyway pay $250 upfront for the phone to get back in rebate

oh and the best part was no-where they clearly state/document the $20 charge for each phone for next 20 mths - on the screen they show you that they are selecting the 79.99 plan and quietly whisper that another $20 for each phone so that's where I caught them and backed-out, majority of other people who went for this deal never realized this part and signed-up, once you sign-up there is no way u can get out out it for next 24-months because t-mobile gives you 15 days with $50 re-stocking fee for each phone to cancel and the bill/statement only shows up after 30 days so u r stuck !

Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM

488 posts, read 1,382,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Thanks for sharing that with us.

If it motivates anybody, I still have my "dumb phone" without any kind of data plan.
I rather spend my money on anything else.
LOL me too, wanna start a club?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM

174 posts, read 488,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger03062 View Post
the free-phone promo was only valid for 79.99 each line plan and u pay $250 for each phone which u get back thru rebate which sounded legitimate SO I completely failed to understand why they were charging $20 for each phone for next 20 months which like paying $400 for each phone when the phone is supposed to be free after rebate that's a broad day-light scam by these greedy corporates

Most of the carriers charge around $200 for a good phone - never seen such a well-planned scheme to rip-off unsuspecting customers by charging $20 additional for each phone and you have to anyway pay $250 upfront for the phone to get back in rebate

oh and the best part was no-where they clearly state/document the $20 charge for each phone for next 20 mths - on the screen they show you that they are selecting the 79.99 plan and quietly whisper that another $20 for each phone so that's where I caught them and backed-out, majority of other people who went for this deal never realized this part and signed-up, once you sign-up there is no way u can get out out it for next 24-months because t-mobile gives you 15 days with $50 re-stocking fee for each phone to cancel and the bill/statement only shows up after 30 days so u r stuck !
this is the same thing that happened to me.. I got duped into getting three phones and then they told me I would get $500+ in rebates. well the contract they emailed me said I would owe $55 a month until I paid my $1100 balance on the phones. who buys $1600 worth of phones?? not me... I didn't accept online so my phone order is cancelled. I just can't cancel with tmobile yet because I wasn't under contract but now the new contract is pending and if I cancel they will charge me the $200 termination fee. I hate them. I have to appeal the contract the through email. was told that they can't do it over the phone. yeah, they can lie to me over the phone but they can't undo a contract. stupid. 10+ years with this company and this is how they treat ya....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: