Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, get off the darn freeway. Off the freeway is where all the good things are.

All the Freeways in the loop above ground should be done away with anyway. either sink them or get rid of them.

anyway, I watched the vid and was not impressed at all. you need to get out more .

You weren't impressed by the inner city tunnel underneath the deck park? Or the view coming into downtown off the bridge?

Like i said, maybe i'm just too busy watching another city's progress and comparing it to Houston's. Maybe i'm just frustrated that the only real view of our downtown/midtown off the Pierce elevated has old dilapadated buildings that should have been torn down decades ago (IE Old Days Inn and Central Square buildings)

BTW I've been out plenty thank you very much. I was just in NYC last year.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Well, here it is folks. Just watching this video posted by Dallaz kind of made me hate Dallas even more.
This is my first time seeing this video and its nice...but it just does not stand out to me. And I'm am not bashing. It actually looks plain IMO. Maybe I have to be there to understand it. I will check it out the next time in in the Big D.

I think some people haven't been around the country because they have bridges and tunnels that have a better architectural design than that.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
You weren't impressed by the inner city tunnel underneath the deck park? Or the view coming into downtown off the bridge?
nope! what is to be impressed about?

After seeing skylines around the world and tunnels and bridges too, you really expect me to look at Downtown Dallas in awe??? Lol.

I don't see anything special.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
IMO, Houston's downtown is better than Dallas' but Dallas wins when comparing the "Uptown" areas.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
IMO, Houston's downtown is better than Dallas' but Dallas wins when comparing the "Uptown" areas.
If you are comparing Uptown Dallas to Midtown Houston then yes Dallas wins that. But Uptown Houston swallows Uptown Dallas.

Uptown Houston has more office space (29.3M sq feet) than Downtown Dallas (26.8M sq feet). Uptown Houston is a beast. Uptown Dallas has 12M sq feet of space and is about the Size of Greenspoint or Westchase.

http://www.grubb-ellis.com/Forecast2...FF_2011_4Q.pdf

Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you are comparing Uptown Dallas to Midtown Houston then yes Dallas wins that. But Uptown Houston swallows Uptown Dallas.

Uptown Houston has more office space (29.3M sq feet) than Downtown Dallas (26.8M sq feet). Uptown Houston is a beast. Uptown Dallas has 12M sq feet of space and is about the Size of Greenspoint or Westchase.

http://www.grubb-ellis.com/Forecast2...FF_2011_4Q.pdf

I'm not talking about office space...I'm talking about general livability (restaurants,bars,condos,etc). I've found Uptown Dallas to be more vibrant than Uptown Houston (or the Galleria area which it was known as my lifetime in Houston).

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,992 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about office space...I'm talking about general livability (restaurants,bars,condos,etc). I've found Uptown Dallas to be more vibrant than Uptown Houston (or the Galleria area which it was known as my lifetime in Houston).
Well, I think the difference has to lay in the different purposes each area serves. Granted, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about Uptown Dallas. It does appear to be a more literal Uptown in that it's immediately next to Downtown (at least I think it is).

That said, when I think of the term "Uptown" I think of the part of any city which is more affluent and somewhat flashy. I think both areas accomplish that effect albeit in different ways. Again, I know nothing about Uptown Dallas so some Dallasites might need to correct me, but I've gathered that Uptown Dallas is similar to Midtown Houston (and even Washington Ave and Upper Kirby in some respects) in that it's marketed as the hip, up & coming place to live and play (the way Houston's midtown and Washington/Kirby are marketed...or at least the way they're developing).

Uptown Houston is geared more toward fashion, shopping and dining - really entertainment in general. While there are some bars and a few clubs, most of it is high end shopping and dining. In addition, it also houses a good amount of office space. I only point this out because it's sister in Dallas isn't located in Uptown but in North Dallas yet Uptown Dallas is rapidly developing with high end apartment living and entertainment which kind of shows my point that each Uptown is geared toward accomplishing the same effect (being the city's affluent, flashy area) just in different ways. Plus, Uptown Houston's infrastructure and architecture was in place way before Uptown Dallas's was (Uptown Dallas is much newer architecture-wise).

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, but that's how understand the development of the two Uptowns.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
I disagree. Though uptown Dallas is upcoming and very attractive. Uptown Houston is more vibrant simply because of the Galleria and the shopping around it. They also have a diverse range of restaurants around the uptown area in Houston as well. I agree with Htown and Vertigo, after my visit in Uptown Dallas that it is very on par with Midtown and Kirby.

I also might add that since Uptown Houston is older that it is more affordable to live in (not everywhere). This draws more of the younger crowd to the area simply because of the price. Just about all my friends that are around my age live in Uptown Houston. Hopefully when metro introduces the rail into the area that it will add more vibrancy into the area. I hang out in Uptown Houston often and the only thing I can say about Uptown Dallas is that it is a very nice looking area but it does not offer the amount of amenities as Houston's.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Central planners don't figure this stuff out

Where are highest income yuppie jobs located?
Where do those yuppies choose to live?
What are they able/willing to pay for in rents, etc for new, "cool" apts w/amenities like secure pkg garages, yuppie grub nearby, etc?
Do they want to drive own new Merc to office or travel via commie mass transit, ala NYC or EU (all w/similarly nasty climate like anywhere in world outside coastal CA)?

Mkt figures this stuff out....reality is not many affluent yuppies outside SF or Manhattan...and many of them eventually age into family dudes who want a big house on a big leafy lot in a suburban area nr their office; and drive self everywhere in own new Merc....same stuff in SiliconVy or Dall/Hou or Manhattan or LA...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I don't see it. Uptown Houston swallows Uptown Dallas. I found Uptown Dallas to be tiny. Even the combo of Uptown Dallas with Downtown Dallas is smaller than DTown Houston.

I found that because Uptown Houston is so massive that there was just way more to do.

But like everyone has been saying Midtown Houston/ Washington Ave, etc is more comparable to Uptown Dallas as the dynamic is more similar. Even though I live closer to DT now, I miss living in Uptown. It is way more cosmopolitan and things stay open later in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston