Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Your argument would have been valid four years ago, but there are three lines under construction right now. Blame the Republican Congressmen who blocked rail funding for Houston. The citizens approved the rail expansion...
so it's not blocked any longer, correct? and I know about the east of downtown line, what are the other 2 lines. I haven't heard.....

and what about the proposed 290 commuter rail line??

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
so it's not blocked any longer, correct? and I know about the east of downtown line, what are the other 2 lines. I haven't heard.....

and what about the proposed 290 commuter rail line??
The Two other lines that are currently being built are the South East line towards UH central and the North Line heading from Downtown up north to no where in particular (homefully one day it will end at Intercontinental).

All three have received full funding and Metro is currently seeking funding for the University line which will be the longest yet. It will run from UH central to Uptown.

By then the lines will not even have half the length of DART lines (30 for Metro vs 72 for DART), but will have more stations (70 for Metro vs 55 for DART light rail). That just tells me the rail in Dallas is an overglorified commuter system. No wonder the ridership per mile on DART sucks.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is nothing like a state thomas area in Houston. Dallas had a head start on Houston with TODs. Uptown also has expanded very well. Most of the new urban areas are basically around and in Downtown Dallas. Houston though has the potential to have the larger denser urban area. Houston's homes have always looked more urban to me from the older style homes to the newer sfh. Houston also has more multifamily areas than Dallas under construction. Basically, Dallas multifamily developments basically are in a general area which again is basically in or near its core. Houston scatters them all over the loop plus the galleria in addition to having denser sfh.
This is what I've been saying. Houston has a larger core than Dallas, so there is mote to fill in. With a smaller core and suburbs with their own developments to compete with, Dallas' core isn't as large and with zoning, its easier to concentrate the developments into on spot. Once the inner loop fills in, in Houston, Dallas won't be able to compare. Then again, we are only really talking about areas south of I-10 and east of 288.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Two other lines that are currently being built are the South East line towards UH central and the North Line heading from Downtown up north to no where in particular (homefully one day it will end at Intercontinental).

All three have received full funding and Metro is currently seeking funding for the University line which will be the longest yet. It will run from UH central to Uptown.

By then the lines will not even have half the length of DART lines (30 for Metro vs 72 for DART), but will have more stations (70 for Metro vs 55 for DART light rail). That just tells me the rail in Dallas is an overglorified commuter system. No wonder the ridership per mile on DART sucks.
None of the DART lines have as many riders has the Red Line in Houston currently does.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:

None of the DART lines have as many riders has the Red Line in Houston currently does.
That is because DART is an overgrown commuter rail.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,239,327 times
Quote:
This is what I've been saying. Houston has a larger core than Dallas, so there is mote to fill in. With a smaller core and suburbs with their own developments to compete with, Dallas' core isn't as large and with zoning, its easier to concentrate the developments into on spot. Once the inner loop fills in, in Houston, Dallas won't be able to compare. Then again, we are only really talking about areas south of I-10 and east of 288.
Maybe i'm skeptical, but I really don't see these areas filling in anytime soon, or in my lifetime for that matter. Even though most of the city is within the 610 loop, when most people think about "the city", they really are thinking of everything to east of 288.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Maybe i'm skeptical, but I really don't see these areas filling in anytime soon, or in my lifetime for that matter. Even though most of the city is within the 610 loop, when most people think about "the city", they really are thinking of everything to east of 288.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
That area HAS been filling up. Look at any change in density map. These areas have changed dramatically in the last 30 years.

It may not become full, but it is in filling.

Montrose population increased by over 100% the last decade
The area between Buffalo Bayou and I10 all the way from 610b to downtown increased by 100%
Areas around the med center increased by 100%

Old 02-20-2012, 11:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,684 times
Quote:

wow. thanx. See, I wasn't aware of the current construction of the South East line and the North Line. they need an East to West and vice versa line.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
wow. thanx. See, I wasn't aware of the current construction of the South East line and the North Line. they need an East to West and vice versa line.
That will be the University line. Running from Hillcroft to UH passing through uptown, near TMC and the Museum District to UH and TSU.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,239,327 times
Quote:
That area HAS been filling up. Look at any change in density map. These areas have changed dramatically in the last 30 years.

It may not become full, but it is in filling.

Montrose population increased by over 100% the last decade
The area between Buffalo Bayou and I10 all the way from 610b to downtown increased by 100%
Areas around the med center increased by 100%
I know these areas are, but i was really talking everything east of 288. Areas like 3rd ward (although i like 3rd ward), 5th ward, and that whole section east of 45 is rather scummy, and not really showing any signs of real growth or development.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
They already have some of the tracks put in place. Here is the Southeast Line with a bike path next to it:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston