Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,929 times

Advertisements

I get there 30 minutes later after you post the ad and now all of a sudden you're not hiring?

This story is about 4 months old. I am posting this because the previous place it was posted was "flagged" by a community member (hmmm, I wonder who it was) So I will post it here.
I've never eaten at this restaurant before, but would like to share my story about Gigi's Bistro.

Gigi's Bistro posted an ad on Craigslist today stating they were searching for a hostess and to apply between 3 and 5 pm. So I go to the Galleria and there are two male employees sitting at the bar. The restaurant looked empty so I figured they were sitting and chatting until a customer arrived. I approach and greet one of the employees addressing about the position. Without me even finishing my sentence, he says they are not hiring.

While he stood there like a guard making sure I did not step foot into the restaurant, I'm like 'okay' that is strange because there is a posting on Craigslist about them searching for a Hostess. So I address about the posting on Craiglists, yet again before I could even finish what I had to say, the man interrupts me for the second time and says "I'm sorry we are not hiring. Our manager is not available"

I asked him where the manager was, and it seemed as if he had to make up a quick lie when he almost gave a slight stutter. He stated their manager was sick and will not be back for weeks. They stated they were not hiring, yet still have their posting up on Craigslist.

The person I was speaking to probably was the manager. I believe I was being kiscriminated against because he did not even try to give me a card, an application for future reference, or any additional information even if they were not hiring. He came with a very lame excuse of how their manger is 'not available' and they are not hiring, yet their posting is still available on Craigslist.

I have over 3-4 years experience within the restaurant business and have hosted and contracted at many events with a well known restaurant, different companies and events such as Project Glam, Houston Zoo, Regency condominiums etc. Interacting with high a volume of customers ( which this restaurant probably seems to lack judging by the emptiness) is one of my fields of expertise. I have never encountered such a thing in my life and for him to to sit and literally LIE in my face is pretty insulting.

For the person who 'blew' me off in such an unprofessional manner, you are not a very great liar. Here's a little advice, I suggest you try to interact with a person who is interested in working at your establishment even if they are or are not the particular person you are looking for. Enforcing equal opportunity is fundamental, so maybe you should start there. And from reading these reviews here, and noticing they must have a huge turn around time since this is my 3rd time seeing their ad in a week. I've tried to give the benefit of the doubt here, but there is no excuse to be that unprofessional. This is probably not a place to work at anyway, but I will let this situation be known to the public. Long story short, I feel I was being (rhymes with Kiscriminated....yes I just made up a word) against.

And for the record, their ad remained posted for 2+ weeks.

Last edited by GRETCHEN2012; 02-19-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
It sounds like it was best that you didn't get the job. You probably would have been unhappy working with people who would discriminate. I would prefer people show their true colors before I end up stuck working for them.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Perhaps they were two employees who had a friend or relative that they wanted to see get hired so they were shooing perspective applicants aways w/o the manager's knowledge? The best thing to have done would have been to call back the next day and ask to speak with the manager and ask him if they were hiring or not.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It sounds like it was best that you didn't get the job. You probably would have been unhappy working with people who would discriminate. I would prefer people show their true colors before I end up stuck working for them.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I thought about that also, plus their turn around time was not good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Perhaps they were two employees who had a friend or relative that they wanted to see get hired so they were shooing perspective applicants aways w/o the manager's knowledge? The best thing to have done would have been to call back the next day and ask to speak with the manager and ask him if they were hiring or not.
You know, that is the second time I've heard of that concept and you may be right. If they were pulling the "shooing" tactic, I figured it would have been done in a more productive and intelligent manner. I think if an employer posts an ad stating they are looking for new employees and qualified applicants to apply in person, I shouldn't have to call there for confirmation. I arrived 30 minutes subsequent the ad posted, so I'm sure the employees were aware about the new hiring deal going on.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
you are the 99 percent.

So was the guy I encountered. I figured people apart of the 1% had nice white teeth.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
In what way do you feel you were discriminated? Because you are handicap, male, female, a minority? You may be throwing around the "discrimination" too liberally.

I've been in the position of watching restaurant/bar staff be hired and it's not always based on credentials. but you should unfortunately know that from your experience in the field.

The manager would have just told you to leave and didn't need to make up an excuse. The people in the restaurant were 98% likely to have just been employees who didn't like the cut of your jib, knew you wouldn't get the job, or like someone else posted they know of someone who is looking at the position. This happens all the time whether you work at a 4 star restaurant or block buster. Shouldn't be surprising.

Outing the name of a restaurant because they didn't hire you and saying you were "discriminated" shows maybe you werent the kind of person for the job. pretty unprofessional

Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM

173 posts, read 411,608 times
Lots of discrimination in hostess/waitress industry. True story first hand. me and a friend of mine both turned in applications at same time in person for a hostess position.One of us is a little heavy. Manager returned the call his exact words were"are you the big girl or small girl" What an a**hole.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydes View Post
Lots of discrimination in hostess/waitress industry. True story first hand. me and a friend of mine both turned in applications at same time in person for a hostess position.One of us is a little heavy. Manager returned the call his exact words were"are you the big girl or small girl" What an a**hole.
What? That is horrible. Its pretty messed up kiscrimination still continues to exist. I had one woman who wouldn't hire me because she said I was too old to work or her. I was only 21 at the time.

Last edited by GRETCHEN2012; 02-20-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
In what way do you feel you were discriminated? Because you are handicap, male, female, a minority? You may be throwing around the "discrimination" too liberally.

I've been in the position of watching restaurant/bar staff be hired and it's not always based on credentials. but you should unfortunately know that from your experience in the field.

The manager would have just told you to leave and didn't need to make up an excuse. The people in the restaurant were 98% likely to have just been employees who didn't like the cut of your jib, knew you wouldn't get the job, or like someone else posted they know of someone who is looking at the position. This happens all the time whether you work at a 4 star restaurant or block buster. Shouldn't be surprising.

Outing the name of a restaurant because they didn't hire you and saying you were "discriminated" shows maybe you werent the kind of person for the job. pretty unprofessional

Who said I was mad about them not hiring me? Gigi's is not the only place in the world for a job. I'm upset that I didn't even have an equal opportunity to apply for the position, and this is the type of situation that should not happen to me or anyone else and I will make it my right for it to be known.
Its not my fault the employees at GiGi's are incompetent of being professional during hiring time. I have never encountered such thing in my life. I have a right to claim what I please, and I'm in a forum to where I have a right to speak my mind so you know what?? Kiscrimination is a harsh word to throw around. My apologies. I will just go ahead and say they were being complete d**chebags.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRETCHEN2012 View Post
kiscrimination
Why do you keep saying this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: