Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,694 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a single, professional female looking to rent a house/townhouse/duplex with a yard in Houston. I currently live in Westchase area but have had some flooding issues in my apartment and need to move somewhat quickly.

I'd love to be inside the loop or not too far away from it, but I also like the west side of town inside the Beltway as well (not very far north of I-10 though). Am willing to consider outside the Beltway on the west side for fantastic neighborhoods/deals but not too far out into the burbs.

Here are the things that I'm looking for:

- The MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT: I have indoor/outdoor cats that need a yard, so I need to be in an actual neighborhood where I can find a place that's not on a major street. Therefore I cannot do neighborhoods that are essentially mid-rises, lofts, or huge clumps of buildings stuck together. My cats are very demanding!

-I live alone, so I must be in a fairly safe area. I'm not going to walk 5 miles at night or anything but I need to be able to come home late from work without worrying too much (especially since I regularly work until 9 or 10)

- I'm 38 so I don't want to be surrounded by my grandparents or my college-aged brother.

-I'm looking for a fairly laid-back neighborhood. It would be a bonus if it's walkable.

-I'm fine with old or new construction, but I would prefer not to have my neighbors on top of me, plus the bigger the yard, the happier the cats :-)

My rental budget is $1,200, but if I can find something for $1,000/$1,050 that would be great since I work contract and sometimes have several weeks off between projects.

I've seen some great houses online in my price range that have what I'm looking for, but I'm having to move in a couple weeks and it's difficult to know which listings are worth looking at.

Thanks in advance for your help! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks for your response jenny77! no, not a real estate agent. I'm looking for myself. I just read through a lot of posts where people weren't specific and the commenters couldn't answer without more info. Thought I'd put everything out there to get better responses. Like I said, due to the flooding, I have to more out as soon as possible instead of at the end of my lease in 2 months.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,729,484 times
jenny77 is a troll that just posts nonsense on here. There is no such place as 10th ward in Houston.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM

I did a search for 10th Ward and there doesn't seem to be anything called that that I can find, so I'm guessing this is a stock non-response for people you think aren't legitimate or something? If I was a real estate agent, why would I need neighborhood advice?!

I'd really appreciate an actual response- My apartment has flooded twice in the last 3 weeks and I've had a sinus infection literally non-stop because of the mold. I am legitimately trying to get help because I am trying to get out of here as quickly as possible and am overwhelmed with what to look for. Since my budget isn't sky high, I am trying to find out what areas to focus on for something that fits and avoid the areas that don't without driving all over town.

I understand that I don't have any posts- that's because I found this place while trying to do searches of my own for info on neighborhoods and it seemed like a good idea to just ask so I could get good feedback.

I appreciate any help I can get. There is literally no where for me to move within the complex because they are full except for much smaller units or 2nd floor which I can't do for health reasons.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Look on har in 77079. Lots of townhouse complexes that could meet your budget. No large private yards but alot have private courtyards.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,436,922 times
Upper Kirby 77098 *might* fit your needs. In your budget, there will be mostly older duplex- and triplex buildings, but they typically have backyards.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks Lost in Translation and travelguy- I'll check those out! If nothing else, maybe I can find something that will work short-term until next year when the budget will be a little more. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston